FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Commoditites Question
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Artisans » Commoditites Question
View previous topic :: View next topic  
senseandviolets

Post Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 7:16 pm    Post subject: Commoditites Question

After clay is fired and becomes an object no longer containing the word "clay," and then sold does this transaction affect the market for clay, the object it was fashioned into, both, or neither?
 Back to top »
HR-Arden

Post Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 9:36 pm    Post subject:

Neither -- after it is fired in the kiln, it is considered pottery. What it sells for is based on its value, which is based on the skill of the person who created it. Glaze also increases the value. There is an art dealer in the Art Center supply shop that will probably give you more for it than Mr. Jacobson.

Arden
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
senseandviolets

Post Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:29 pm    Post subject:

Thank you. There is info readily available in the art centre preaching the values of glaze, glad it's not all just hype. ;]

Are any other projects possible aside from the ones on the list? It would be nice to be able to make vials along with the mortars and pestles.
 Back to top »
HR-Arden

Post Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:44 pm    Post subject:

I'll add vials in. Smile

I had asked for suggestions a good while ago, but the only suggestion was figurines. I do plan on making those possible eventually, but they'll require more work than a pottery wheel and a kiln.

Any other ideas?

Arden
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 12:41 am    Post subject:

Heat-resistant, ceramic tiles. <pets his toy space shuttle>

--William

PS: Also, ceramic candle holders wouldn't be too bad an idea (even if it would just be fluff). Big flower pots wouldn't be a bad idea, either, just for the hell of it. Lastly, how about medallions? You can always have some NPC carve the image in for you, for a price, if you're not skilled enough for it yet.

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
senseandviolets

Post Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 3:26 am    Post subject:

I'll second the candle holders and tiles. Also the tiles could possibly later be used to create mosaics?

I'm adding, picture frames, cookware such as casserole dishes, and tea pots.

I'd also like to be able to create pottery using the coil method. We could cut and press the clay, ROLL it into tubes, then WIND the tubes into coils. With the additon of some kind of thatching tool (maybe a twig would do?) and a jar of slip we could then THATCH the coils and PAINT them with the slip. Then combine the four coils and voila a box, ready for firing. It can get lonely by those potery wheels. I can see this idea being limited in that we could only make boxes, but perhaps someone has a good idea to expand on it.

Finally, I'd like to be able to create handles for our created pottery. We could again, ROLL the then shape the resulting tube into a handle. Crosshatch and slip it up, then APPLY it to the desired item, such as a lid for your caserole dish, or that final touch on your vase or jug. Handles could possibly increase the value of the item, but if one goes overboard (more than one except maybe two for logical items such as vases or sticking a handle where it's not needed on say a pestle) I could see the value decreasing.

Oh, and one more thing it would seem logical that once in averygreatwhile we would open the kiln only to find that ack! our pottery has shattered in the process leaving us with a pile of worthless pottery shards. Especially while young and still learning the correct thickness to scuplt the clay into. Perhaps we could even hear this event taking place. *jumps and loses control over her pottery piece sending it flopping over on the wheel into a sad mass of clay, time to start over!*
 Back to top »
HR-Arden

Post Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 8:54 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Oh, and one more thing it would seem logical that once in averygreatwhile we would open the kiln only to find that ack! our pottery has shattered in the process leaving us with a pile of worthless pottery shards. Especially while young and still learning the correct thickness to scuplt the clay into. Perhaps we could even hear this event taking place. *jumps and loses control over her pottery piece sending it flopping over on the wheel into a sad mass of clay, time to start over!*

Ever try not pressing your clay first? Wink

I will definitely give the other stuff some thought. Thank you for the suggestions!

Arden
 Back to top »
Sainji

Post Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 11:11 pm    Post subject:

How about stirring rods too? Anything that alchemists might need in regards to pottery perhaps? Not sure if you can make a shaving tool. Unless the blade is made from metals we mine and then inserted into an ingot shaving mold and voila! we have an ingot shaver. Of course these items should wear out over time too.

Regards,
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Artisans » Commoditites Question
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: