Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Tracker Things
Goto page 1, 2  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Trackers » Tracker Things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Sun May 25, 2003 3:55 pm    Post subject: Tracker Things

With skill bonuses -- along with any special adjectives/verbs that may come along with them (ie. magnificently tanned armor, perfectly crafted arrows, et al) -- aside, I'm curious as to if Trackers will get any special abilities that would set them apart from the everyday tree-hugger.

I really hate to keep comparing Haelrahv to Simu games, but it's really the only game that I can really draw ideas from. Could Trackers get some form of sign-language (as well as, I suppose, Agents)? I know working something similar to Beseeches would be hard (Trackers don't seem too built for Magic), so I won't even ask about that. I'm pretty sure something like Trails are in the works but I could just be imagining that.

Will Trackers be able to craft bows (crossbows, composite, long, short, et al) as well as the ammo?

Since it's been stated over and over that Trackers are more "at-home" in the wilds, is it fair to assume that there will be some overall Tracker bonus to related survival skills (climbing, swimming, fishing, et al)? If so, how will it work? As in, will they absolutely suck for hours after stepping foot inside of a city... or will it slowly fade away when they go into town, only to gradually resurface once they step back out into the wilds?

As to handling animals, will Trackers be able to form an army made up of thousands of rabbid squirrels.. or will they be restricted to just one or two until those die? When taming mounts (namely horses, or whatever their counterpart will be in Haelrahv), will we eventually be able to teach them tricks/abilities? And on that note.. will animals come with their own special set of stats and relative skills (perception, strength et al; climbing, swimming, et al)?

I.. think that's it for now. Be merry.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
HR-Hunter

Post Posted: Sun May 25, 2003 5:08 pm    Post subject:

I'm not the Tracker Guru, but I do have a fondness for Trackers and tend to stick my nose in, so I can answer a few of these for you...

Quote:
With skill bonuses -- along with any special adjectives/verbs that may come along with them (ie. magnificently tanned armor, perfectly crafted arrows, et al) -- aside, I'm curious as to if Trackers will get any special abilities that would set them apart from the everyday tree-hugger.

Yes.

Quote:
Will Trackers be able to craft bows (crossbows, composite, long, short, et al) as well as the ammo?

Yes.

Quote:
Since it's been stated over and over that Trackers are more "at-home" in the wilds, is it fair to assume that there will be some overall Tracker bonus to related survival skills (climbing, swimming, fishing, et al)? If so, how will it work? As in, will we absolutely suck for hours on end if they stay inside a city for too long... or will it slowly fade away when they go into a town, only to gradually resurface over once they step back out into the wilds?

They definatly have bonuses to specific skills, not sure about the floating overall modifier.

I'll leave the rest for someone else to answer.
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Mon May 26, 2003 1:51 am    Post subject:

I'll answer what Hunter didn't touch on.

Quote:
I really hate to keep comparing Haelrahv to Simu games, but it's really the only game that I can really draw ideas from. Could Trackers get some form of sign-language (as well as, I suppose, Agents)? I know working something similar to Beseeches would be hard (Trackers don't seem too built for Magic), so I won't even ask about that. I'm pretty sure something like Trails are in the works but I could just be imagining that.

Perhaps, but as you said, Agents could also make use of this. I'm not certain. Some very limited form of "magic" is still a possibility, but I really can't say for certain until the profession has been fleshed out more.

Quote:
Since it's been stated over and over that Trackers are more "at-home" in the wilds, is it fair to assume that there will be some overall Tracker bonus to related survival skills (climbing, swimming, fishing, et al)? If so, how will it work? As in, will they absolutely suck for hours after stepping foot inside of a city... or will it slowly fade away when they go into town, only to gradually resurface once they step back out into the wilds?

Right now all professional skill bonuses are active anywhere and I doubt it will change, despite the fact they are at home in the wilds. However, certain abilities will only work in the wilds. The ability to see hidden stuff is one thing already on the list, much more will fall there over time. There also may be things anyone can do that aren't so much skill based, but Trackers can do better when in the wilds.

But as for skills, Trackers already get a huge bonus and unlike DR, the skill bonuses for each profession do not wax and wane based on your activity or location (no losing your bonus as an agent for stealing, for example).

Quote:
As to handling animals, will Trackers be able to form an army made up of thousands of rabbid squirrels.. or will they be restricted to just one or two until those die? When taming mounts (namely horses, or whatever their counterpart will be in Haelrahv), will we eventually be able to teach them tricks/abilities? And on that note.. will animals come with their own special set of stats and relative skills (perception, strength et al; climbing, swimming, et al)?

Each animal requires upkeep and maintenance. I don't recall if there is a limit, Ashara could chime in on this, but I believe it's just a matter of how many you can support with food and care.

Yes, you can teach an animal tricks and abilities, and some they know the basics of. This plays into your next question, yes animals do have skills and these grow over time. Their abilities such as jumping for example, are skills much like your skills, and while you can't finely control how much they learn a specific skill, you can advance their overall learning by working with them.

And yes, they have the 8 stats you do (agility, charisma, coordination, intellect, mentality, perception, strength, vitality) ... this is another case where I could be wrong, it could be 6 of the 8, but I believe it is all 8. The stats raise on their own, depending on what activities the horse does.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Mon May 26, 2003 9:53 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the responses, Trevor and Hunter. And now for more questions, because we all love questions.

For one of the limited forms of magic for the Trackers, would it be possible for long distance communication between fellow Trackers? I suppose it would take Focus, depending on the distance, so that you can't have hour long conversations with people on the other side of the planet, but the receiver would hear the message as a whisper on the wind. Does that make sense?

Ignore this if you guys haven't fleshed out Tanning yet... will Tanning require both Tailoring and Craftsmanship, or just one of them?

Hah! Another DR-ripoff: will dual-loading/firing of archery weapons be feasible sometime in the future?

That's it.. for now. I can't wait to see these guys fleshed out.

--William, who will need at least twelve hours a day just to play all his favourite professions

PS: You people have screwed with my character choices so much over the course of this non-pre-alpha stage. I'm so screwed if the publicly-known experience rate isn't quintupled by the time the game opens. Crying or Very sad

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Mon May 26, 2003 12:04 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
For one of the limited forms of magic for the Trackers, would it be possible for long distance communication between fellow Trackers? I suppose it would take Focus, depending on the distance, so that you can't have hour long conversations with people on the other side of the planet, but the receiver would hear the message as a whisper on the wind. Does that make sense?

Makes a lot of sense, GS has a spell completely identical in usage actually. You cast it or have it cast on you, then whisper to a person just as if they were in the room. Generally, if they're outside, they'll hear it, but can't respond unless they also use the spell. Something we could consider implementing, yes.

Quote:
Ignore this if you guys haven't fleshed out Tanning yet... will Tanning require both Tailoring and Craftsmanship, or just one of them?

We haven't fleshed out tanning and we are considering opening Craftsmanship into a few skills. If we do so, we may add Leatherwork/Tanning as one. If we don't add that, I imagine the process will rely mostly on Tailoring, but some step in the process may use Craftsmanship.

Quote:
Hah! Another DR-ripoff: will dual-loading/firing of archery weapons be feasible sometime in the future?

Dual with guns / pulse guns will be. If we have archery weapons like mini crosses and stuff that work in one hand, then they will probably work dual as well. Most single hand weapons will work in pairs, but there will be limits on what you can pair (can't pair a club and a knife, nor a club and a gun for example)

Quote:
PS: You people have screwed with my character choices so much over the course of this non-pre-alpha stage. I'm so screwed if the publicly-known experience rate isn't quintupled by the time the game opens.

We're probably going to increase it some, but not 5x Wink

Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Mon May 26, 2003 12:54 pm    Post subject:

Hunter just informed me that I misunder the dual fire thing. <g> There are bows that fire multiple shots by default, if loaded with sufficient ammo. It's not a skill or profession thing, since it's how those weapons naturally work. The tribow fires 3 shots at once, the starbow does 5.

I may consider a profession or skill ability to do dual shots with "regular" bows though.

Back to top »
senutyenool

Post Posted: Fri May 30, 2003 3:00 am    Post subject:

What I wanna know is where can we buy these multiple firing bows???? Hmmm???

Waddayamean, go look for them????? ::sighs::

I take we will be able to make them later on? Cool

a.k.a Senutyenool
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Fri May 30, 2003 3:07 am    Post subject:

Fletching is planned, and likely that would include the Ishaian bows.

Back to top »
TheTrackerChick
Babe of Doom

Post Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:51 pm    Post subject:

Moved this from the magic category.

As far as caches, trackers can use them outside of town, agents in towns. Agents have no RT inside and outside of towns moving while in hiding.

So to answer your question, Raganda....

The skills that are tracker only are Navigate, one of three stances that they have no choice over, and the circles. Not sure if I'd consider caches as Tracker only and moving in hiding with no RT is definitely not tracker only.

I'm not sure if trackers 'only' get a reduced RT in archery and marks or not, maybe someone knows for sure?

I hope this answers some of your question over in the other thread.
ragonda
A fearful red dragon

Post Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject:

thanks for the answer to the cache thing ... how do we trackers get the stances or they a natural thing we develop as we mature ?
 Back to top »
TheTrackerChick
Babe of Doom

Post Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject:

Stances you get from Kafgi at level 15, randomly.

Oh and Navigate is at 15th level also.

Cover tracks (tracker only also!) at
stealth/tracking 30/50

Continuous Cover Tracks (means you never have to type it again) at
stealth/tracking 99/99

The above info is on Dyz's Trackers of Haelrahv yahoo group site.

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/tohaelrahv/
Kit
Cybertech Extraordinaire~

Post Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject:

Suggestion:

I know that performers can lure...but it seems something that trackers should be able to as well. It could be like alchemy...mixing up lures for different animals that they could sell to people like me to get the critters to come faster. Or maybe it could just be an ability.

AIM: KitMurphyHR
Email: yojibalinese@hotmail.com
Technician Database: http://tech.haelrahv.net/
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Platinumyan
Master Plush ;(

Post Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject:

Kit wrote:
Suggestion:

I know that performers can lure...but it seems something that trackers should be able to as well. It could be like alchemy...mixing up lures for different animals that they could sell to people like me to get the critters to come faster. Or maybe it could just be an ability.

I like this idea. Granted, I have 0 stake in the issue, but I still think its a good idea.

Yan

This object amazingly decreases one's Logic skill.
This object amazingly enhances one's Flaming skill.
This object considerably enhances one's Annoyance skill.

You sigh.
You say, “Great, another one.”
 Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject:

You mean, like, critter piss?

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject:

There are no plans at this time to give any other profession an equivalent of LURE.

Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Trackers » Tracker Things
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: