FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
More Combat Questions
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Combat & Hunting » More Combat Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Tue May 13, 2003 6:21 pm    Post subject: More Combat Questions

Just some random thoughts...

-- Since it's fair to say that all armor, no matter the type, will give a good amount of a defensive boost, is it also fair to say that armor will hinder your abilities in combat (ie. mainly coordination and agility based actions)? It seems reasonable, in both the aspects of balance and and realism, but it never hurts to get confirmation from those that actually know.

-- Will Shields be hindering to combat actions?

(* Note: by hindering in the above two questions, I don't mean that you won't be able to hunt with armor or a shield; similar to in DR, you had to work off the hinderance for armor and I think shield as well. The main reason I ask is for the Guardians -- they won't be using either shields or armors, but that shouldn't count against them in the grand scheme of things)

-- If you were to be using a sword, but without a shield, would you gain any sort of boost to hit? It's easy to infer that, without a shield, both the character's hands would be grasping onto the blade, which generally helps in the person's accuracy (not to mention you won't have to worry about coordinating both the attack and the "retreat" with your shield afterward).

-- For actual two-handed weaponry, will they have some kind of defensive aspect to them since you won't be able to use a shield? Or will they be treated like any other one-handed weapon?

-- For archery, marksmanship, and pulse weapons, will we be able to aim for specific body parts? If so, will there be any added experience for successfully hitting the targeted area and, conversely, less experience if you miss (even if you still hit the enemy)?

-- If we will be able to aim ranged attacks, would it be possible for the other weapons as well (ie. slice at the head, thrust at the knee, etc)?

-- Will there be a feature similar to "hangback" in that other place? I think it was based on skills.. maybe a stat or two.. but it allowed you to automatically retreat when something advanced on you. This would be nice for the ranged-based hunters, if not everyone in general.

-- Will there eventually be a nifty Challenge system? I don't know if MO had such a system, but I know DR players tended to enjoy it (if only because they wouldn't see any jail time and/or fines for slaying their enemy in the city).

-- This is sorta kinda not combat related, but it sorta kinda is (whee). Tanned armors and Crafted weapons will generally be better than the storebought variety, right?

That's all for now. And the midgets rejoice.

--William

PS: Two more posts to go to see if there's a new cog waiting for me. So you people better give me something to reply to!

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
HR-Hunter

Post Posted: Tue May 13, 2003 6:46 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
-- This is sorta kinda not combat related, but it sorta kinda is (whee). Tanned armors and Crafted weapons will generally be better than the storebought variety, right?

Trevor will have to answer the general combat questions, and Ragnar is in charge of tanning, but for crafted weapons I can safely say that dependant on skills they can range from worse than storebought to better then storebought.
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Tue May 13, 2003 10:24 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Since it's fair to say that all armor, no matter the type, will give a good amount of a defensive boost, is it also fair to say that armor will hinder your abilities in combat (ie. mainly coordination and agility based actions)? It seems reasonable, in both the aspects of balance and and realism, but it never hurts to get confirmation from those that actually know.

-- Armor will apply penalties to some actions, yes, which is the purpose of the armor skills.

Quote:
-- Will Shields be hindering to combat actions?

(* Note: by hindering in the above two questions, I don't mean that you won't be able to hunt with armor or a shield; similar to in DR, you had to work off the hinderance for armor and I think shield as well. The main reason I ask is for the Guardians -- they won't be using either shields or armors, but that shouldn't count against them in the grand scheme of things)

-- Shields too. I'm not sure what you mean about Guardians though. Why would they be hindered regardless if they aren't using armor/shield?

Quote:
If you were to be using a sword, but without a shield, would you gain any sort of boost to hit? It's easy to infer that, without a shield, both the character's hands would be grasping onto the blade, which generally helps in the person's accuracy (not to mention you won't have to worry about coordinating both the attack and the "retreat" with your shield afterward).

-- I believe a bonus for having a free hand would make sense, but I don't believe a large bonus would be fitting, as there needs to be sufficient reward for training the shield skill and using a shield.

Quote:
For actual two-handed weaponry, will they have some kind of defensive aspect to them since you won't be able to use a shield? Or will they be treated like any other one-handed weapon?

-- You can parry with them. Obviously not all attacks can be parried. You still have the evasion option as well of course.

Quote:
For archery, marksmanship, and pulse weapons, will we be able to aim for specific body parts? If so, will there be any added experience for successfully hitting the targeted area and, conversely, less experience if you miss (even if you still hit the enemy)?

-- You will be able to aim your shots, both ranged and melee. I don't think the experience difference will be notable whether you aim or not, it will simply be to your strategical benefit to aim at times.

Quote:
If we will be able to aim ranged attacks, would it be possible for the other weapons as well (ie. slice at the head, thrust at the knee, etc)?

-- Yep

Quote:
Will there be a feature similar to "hangback" in that other place? I think it was based on skills.. maybe a stat or two.. but it allowed you to automatically retreat when something advanced on you. This would be nice for the ranged-based hunters, if not everyone in general.

-- I'm unsure, it's not a priority by any means, anyway. It may come in at some point.

Quote:
Will there eventually be a nifty Challenge system? I don't know if MO had such a system, but I know DR players tended to enjoy it (if only because they wouldn't see any jail time and/or fines for slaying their enemy in the city).

-- Yes. Smile

Quote:
This is sorta kinda not combat related, but it sorta kinda is (whee). Tanned armors and Crafted weapons will generally be better than the storebought variety, right?

-- Yes, though special events may provide weapons or armor of better quality than what is available by player crafting.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Wed May 14, 2003 5:34 am    Post subject:

Quote:
-- Shields too. I'm not sure what you mean about Guardians though. Why would they be hindered regardless if they aren't using armor/shield?

Sorry for being unclear or misworded. I was just pointing out that Guardians won't be using either Shield or Armor, but that shouldn't count against them. If shields and armors hindered the speed, movement, or whatever else for those that use them, then it would eventually balance out.

I'm not sure if that's any better from my previous wording, but.. yeah. Confused

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Wed May 14, 2003 4:29 pm    Post subject:

Ah, the lack of armor and such is made up for by the natural resistance that Guardians receive (based on level) as well as various meditations, etc.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Wed May 14, 2003 5:28 pm    Post subject:

Oh, that's right! I totally forgot about the damage resistances. Embarassed ..Moving on.. nothing to see here, people..

--William

PS: Gold (half) cog! And a neat new title. Yay me!

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Combat & Hunting » More Combat Questions
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: