FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Would this bother you?
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Role-playing & Socialization » Would this bother you?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PepsiKing

Post Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 3:06 pm    Post subject: Would this bother you?

Ok carrying over a point from another thread about rping, would any of you be bothered by my character being a useless/unreliable trivia fool that uses actual names, places, things in his trivia? I consider how I want to use it as roleplay but if it does bother a lot of people or might bother you, speak up and i'll go another way.

Thanks
PepsiKing
 Back to top »
HR-Myst

Post Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Would this bother you?

I think if it is done in the right way, it would be fine.  When Hael opens, it will be well into the future, but the humans who end up there are from present time on Earth.  Your character could be a nutty history and trivia buff and it would be fine.  You don't seem like the kind of player who will show up and say, "Hey, did you just watch Buffy!  Man, can't get enough of that woman!"

Myst
 Back to top »
PepsiKing

Post Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Would this bother you?

Quote:
, but the humans who end up there are from present time on Earth

No offense but I dont think this is right, arent we a few hundred years age wise removed from Earth?

Quote:
You don't seem like the kind of player who will show up and say, "Hey, did you just watch Buffy!  Man, can't get enough of that woman!"

She's not that hot.  Very Happy

But your right i'm not like that but if there's a Reality Cafe kinda place I may go on and on about The Wilson sisters from Heart, especially Nancy or was it Ann? Whichever one is the blonde.

PepsiKing
 Back to top »
HR-Morrigan

Post Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Would this bother you?

Buffy's ok, but Willow...now she's a chick ya can dig, even with the dark side :drools over the dark Willow:

Morrigan Blackfury, who's totally off topic, but doesn't care

Morrigan Blackfury
 Back to top »
HR-Drake
Machine King

Post Posted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: Would this bother you?

Quote:
No offense but I dont think this is right, arent we a few hundred years age wise removed from Earth?

Yep, we are. Wink

Quote:
Buffy's ok, but Willow...now she's a chick ya can dig, even with the dark side :drools over the dark Willow:

Dark Willow kicked ass.  ;D
HR-Eleanora

Post Posted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Would this bother you?

We are a few hundred years age-wise removed from Earth, but not ability-wise.  Any technology on Haelrahv not currently on Earth was most likely developed by one of the other races or in conjunction with the other races.  This is a point to consider if we had, say, a flying car.  We don't have it on Earth now, so the humans would have had to develop it with the other races or it's an invention of another race.

I think that might help to clarify what Myst meant when he said that the humans are from the present time.  They are from "now" on Earth as far as their own technology and knowledge is concerned, even though many years have passed since then.

Eleanora
HR-Myst

Post Posted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Would this bother you?

Yeah, sorry, the timing thing can get a bit confusing.  Think of it this way.  You and a group of other humans are abducted by an alien today and taken to Haelrahv.  You and this group of people bring with you the knowledge you have about Earth as it is right now.  You never return to Earth.  The only information Haelrahv will have about Earth is the history your group knows, which ends, of course, the moment your group is abducted.

Then, the game is set on Haelrahv 300 years into the future.  That means a good 7 to 10 human generations later.  The only knowledge that those generations have about Earth has been passed on by you and the original group of abductees.

That's what I meant when I said that humans on Haelrahv have the knowledge of Earth as it is now, but it is 300 years later on Haelrahv.  Humans on Haelrahv have no understanding about what has happened to the Earth over the past 300 years.

When humans arrived, the other races on Haelrahv were more advanced in some areas and uncivilized in others.  During the 300 years that they've been on Haelrahv, humans have had a huge influence on the world.  They've capitalized on the strengths of each race and introduced those races to other ways of doing things.  That mixture will be the gaming environment in which you find yourself in Haelrahv.

I'm just using the abduction scenario as an example.  The history staff is coming up with a much more creative story about how humans made it to Haelrahv.
 Back to top »
HR-Eleanora

Post Posted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Would this bother you?

Quote:
The history staff is coming up with a much more creative story about how humans made it to Haelrahv.

Uh...yeah, yeah we are.  And uh it won't have abduction stuff.  Yeah, what Myst said.

<scurries away to check on that information>

<returns, waving a three or four binders' worth of information>

Oh, yeah...we DO know all about the humans' arrival <breathes a sigh of relief>...we're not gonna tell you till far into the future.  So you can continue to wonder how humans got there and even how the Darjuans got there.  Leaves you something to discover future Haelrahvians.

Eleanora (who won't tell the secret even if you gave her what's behind door number one, two, AND three)
PepsiKing

Post Posted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 1:38 am    Post subject: Re: Would this bother you?

Quote:
Eleanora (who won't tell the secret even if you gave her what's behind door number one, two, AND three

<waves a merchant voucher at Eleanora>

PepsiKing
 Back to top »
HR-Eleanora

Post Posted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Would this bother you?

I have given up my MO addiction, thankyouverymuch.  Been MO-free since March, I believe <beams>.  So I will not be swayed by your gift of a voucher.

Eleanora
HR-Drake
Machine King

Post Posted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Would this bother you?

Wave a potential husband at her.  ;D

<flees far, far away>
HR-Eleanora

Post Posted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Would this bother you?

I'm all set in that department thank you, Drake.  However if the present suitor doesn't present me with a ring in a reasonable length of time, I might accept a new and improved suitor.  Course....said suitor would ALSO have to trust that I'd tell the truth about the humans' mysterious arrival on Haelrahv....

No, wait. Must resist all bribes.

Eleanora

Nojym

Location: Feel me breathin on your neck, then don't worry bout it.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 2:45 am    Post subject:

Everything bother's me. Ya botherin me askin. <sneer>

Nojym
Tao

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject:

Just reading this old folder and I was thinking about Futurama and how these people of the future had all their facts about the past, Fry's present was all wrong. And I was thinking what if the information passed down from generation to generation was distorted each time? Damn, I'm so bored here at work. I'm posting in an old folder.

Oh and if you ever seen the first show of Futurama, does anyone find it weird that civilization on Earth was invaded, destroyed, then rebuilt several times yet the cryogenics building and the cryo machines remained intact and running all those years?
senseandviolets

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject:

I brought up the same thing awhile back. Morrigan said she was working on slipping a little "misinformation" about old-earth into the history books, but I dunno if that idea got scrapped, or if it's in the books I haven't read yet, or what.

And about the lab... you're not supposed to think that much about it. It's like the smelloscope, gotta use your imagination like the real scientists. Wink
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Role-playing & Socialization » Would this bother you?
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: