FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Slaying and Carnage
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Combat & Hunting » Slaying and Carnage
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 10:16 pm    Post subject: Slaying and Carnage

Well, with the rewrite of basically everything being set in, I'll go ahead and ask this: will experience gained by hunting be calculated based on the player's level or the amount of related skill (evasion, <weapon type>, parry, et al.) in hunting? I ask this simply because I probably won't get into the combat system early on, preferring to get the reviews first ( ::Cough::Dragoonseal::Cough:: ) and decide later.

If the experience for smiting some creature is based on my level, and I'm well over the first level when I begin putting points into combat skills, the problem becomes obvious: either I hunt way over my skill ability, which would insure death... or I keep kill 100 rats when someone else of comparable level, who has been training combat since the beginning, can kill a single beast for the same amount of experience... or I just never get involved in the first place... or I throw away some of the fun skills in order to prepare my character for combat (which I know is a valid sacrifice and I shouldn't whine about it, but it's still one of the routes to be taken).

Not wanting this to be a whine or flame or.. whatever else it could've been. Just wanting the situation to get at least one good looking at. Confused

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points

Last edited by Brokyn on Thu Apr 03, 2003 12:58 am; edited 3 times in total
 Back to top »
HR-Drake
Machine King

Post Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 11:34 pm    Post subject:

I think, though I'm not sure (need to get Trevor's confirmation on this).. that you gain the same amount of experience no matter what you're killing, unless you're overwhelming the critter (say you're level 10, killing a baby rat with a level of 1), then you won't get experience. So the best idea would be to kill things at or near your level, rather than kill things that you KNOW you can kill easily, or attempt to kill things that could smite you down, up and through next week. Smile
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 12:52 am    Post subject:

But the problem I see with having to hunt at your level, for some folks, would be that their skills won't necessarily meet up with their level.

Example:

Joe has been working his Medic for about fifteen levels now. His skill points are well distributed between the "main" Medical skills, though none have been spent toward a single combat-related skill (evasion, parry, <weapon type>, et al). One day, he decides to give the combat system a try, hearing that a certain critter drops some pretty nice gems. See, he might be level fifteen, but his skills match that of a level one or two character.. which means he'd really only be able to handle a level one or two critter. Which would, if Drake is correct about the current way Combat is set up, have Joe overwhelming his opponent level-wise... which equates into no experience.

Does that make sense?

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 1:23 am    Post subject:

In cases where a difficulty is gauged out, it'll be by skill probably. We're not a level-based game... most skill checks don't factor level in, so that wouldn't make a lot of sense for our situation probably.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
HR-Drake
Machine King

Post Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 12:18 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, that's what I meant Wink I just assumed that if one were at a certain level, that person would have trained up to his or her max in one or more weapons.. so, just replace any instance of the word "level" in my post to "combat skill" Wink
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Combat & Hunting » Slaying and Carnage
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: