FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Exoskeletons
Goto page 1, 2  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Suggestions and Ideas » Exoskeletons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragonseyes

Post Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Exoskeletons

I would like to see an alternative to Cybernetics. My suggestion is an Exoskeleton.

Pro's
No combat damage.
Reduced Charisma requirements from cybernetics.

Con's
Greater fatigue.
Must be repaired for functionality, probably by tech's.

Just my thoughts.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:13 am    Post subject:

the idea of outer-skin tech sounds really cool.

exoskeletons are going to be [trooper only?] heavy armor though, i think. i know they have one or two around the game already, even though players can't use them.
epol
Self-Proclaimed Crown Jewel

Post Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject:

Why heavy armor or Trooper Only? Frankly, all the profession specific things are getting old.

I'd rather see some of the more general things such as Justice, engagement, nskills, and hunting worked on. Things we can all enjoy.
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject:

epol wrote:
Why heavy armor or Trooper Only? Frankly, all the profession specific things are getting old.

probably because exoskeletons are heavy.

as for the latter, i have no clue if they're still going to be Trooper only, but it was my impression that exoskeleton stuff would be advanced army gear, which is what Troopers are all about.

I'm all for more profession specific things too, though, so there's a reason to be in that profession.
epol

Post Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject:

soundless wrote:

I'm all for more profession specific things too, though, so there's a reason to be in that profession.

On second thought, perhaps you are right. Some professions do seem to be more attractive to be in than others and that very well is a result of the profession specific things those professions have.
 Back to top »
Seth Ventril
Disenfranchised Shadow

Post Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject:

Why profession specific things? Because if you're not going to have them, you might as well as remove all professions and let players have their entire build. If a game is going to have professions, you need to have skills and abilities that differentiate profession X from profession A.
Assassin: That's a good point...The creed is..."Stick them with the pointy end." - Ctrl+Alt+Del parody of Assassin's Creed.
---
TELEPATHY [close]:  Yaru Dex - "Great now you made Mickey cry. Thanks a lot, Seth."
---
Korell Ventril exclaims, "Choo ain no guard! Choo a crackhead!"
 Back to top »
Cadoc

Post Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject:

I may not be an expert any of this, but I think it would be fun to have an exoskeleton. Maybe different grades could be available. Different Sizes and Shapes. Each have different capabilities...etc etc. Having the Heavy Military Grade only available to Troopers. I dunno just a thought.

As for profession specific stuff, I think it is good to have. Otherwise as Seth said what distinguishes Professions from each other besides a name. Though I can agree with Epol that some of the things he listed I would be very happy to have come out.

And not to name any specifically (...ie...Justice...) would be fun additions.

My two cents....
 Back to top »
dragonseyes

Post Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject:

I dunno, I had a few thoughts on the matter, but mostly what I wanted was an alternative to chopping off a leg, or getting a spoon and scooping out the eyes. I kinda dropped the subject when Profession specific was thrown out, because I'm not about to argue that point. However, mostly what I meant with Exoskeleton is not heavy, but it's probably not light armor either. I don't want it to take the place of Armor, because your talking about adding armor to something that I didn't actually want damaged in Combat, and Armor most definitely would be. And it would take the place of more useful armor, which isn't what I had in mind either. I personally wouldn't mind seeing the Regen and Emitter placed in the palm of this thing. I would LOVE to see profession specific Exoskeletons. However, that would require unquantified amounts of work, and I agree with someone else, I'd rather see the work put into things like Justice.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Denavae
Lookit the flowers!

Post Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject:

There was a Dark Angel episode that I saw way back when that had a guy who stole a top-secret military exoskeleton unit. What it did was allow the guy to run faster and jump higher by encasing his legs with what appeared to be "armor". It was too delicate to actually be armor, but I think that's what Trace is getting at.

Or at least that's what I'm thinking when I think of exoskeletons.

BoonDock Saints wrote:
When I raise my flashing sword, and my hand takes hold on judgment, I will take vengeance upon mine enemies, and I will repay those who haze me. Oh, Lord, raise me to Thy right hand and count me among Thy saints.
 Back to top »
Seth Ventril
Disenfranchised Shadow

Post Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject:

Basically it sounds like what's being listed here is cyberware with more pros and fewer cons (Please correct if I'm wrong), which doesn't exactly sound right. Which is kinda off, especially considering cyberware's only real cons are lack of techs which leads to expensive Shavcire repairs, and less essence (which isn't a problem unless you're a heavy psionics user or a guardian?)
Assassin: That's a good point...The creed is..."Stick them with the pointy end." - Ctrl+Alt+Del parody of Assassin's Creed.
---
TELEPATHY [close]:  Yaru Dex - "Great now you made Mickey cry. Thanks a lot, Seth."
---
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:36 am    Post subject:

AFAIK essence only matters for Guardians, and even then it doesn't matter yet because AFAIK only Sigils are planned to also use it which don't even exist yet.

I was getting the "Hey Exoskeletons make getting cybergear easier" vibe as well. Not like it's a negligible amount of Charisma, but the 85 points in Charisma it take for a non-Trooper to get full cybergear isn't that big a deal in the long run.

Worst-case scenario (Darju with charisma flaw + profession that starts with 3 in Charisma, so 13 stat points per Charisma and needing to train it 82 times) is that it will take 1066 stat points to get to 85 Charisma, which translates into almost 17 levels worth of stat points.

Best-case non-Trooper scenario (Eolai with charisma benefit + profession that starts with 9 in Charisma, so 7 stat points per Charisma and needing to train it 76 times) is that it will take 532 stat points to get to 85 Charisma, which translates into almost 9 levels worth of stat points.

I couldn't really see those requirements getting any easier, especially on the best-case scenario side.
dragonseyes

Post Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject:

Hmm, Seth, you could be right, I might possibly be asking that, though I thought I was trying to offer an alternative because there is alot I don't like about the idea of Cybergear. If you ever watched the bionic duo, Million dollar man, and bionic woman, it may have occurred to you that if they had ever done any of those things, they would have ripped the arm right off the NON cyber body. Or crushed their spine. And if you did go full cybernetic body, how do you procreate? I dunno about you, but that bothers the heck out of me. SO, it occurred to me, that you could, using muscular restraints, and various other tactics, make a suit that would not work nearly as well as Cybernetics, but would give those people who are either ANTI Cybernetics, or are just afraid of the idea of having your eyeballs or whatever scooped out with a spoon. And yes, I've seen the procedure done once, that's just disgusting. To the point where it makes me want to be sick. As far as a better balance, I'd be happy to see a better solution. However, these are my requirements. It MUST take more stamina, and it must NOT be damaged by battle. It is not a replacement of body parts, but a set of pieces that change shape to make the existing body work a bit better, nothing extraordinary. However, Damage by use is perfectly acceptable to me. And since what power it needs is provided by the body, it would of course take alot more stamina, not to mention that the true power of it is your own muscles anyway. Perhaps contact lenses? Lastly, this is just an idea. I like talking about flights of fancy I may have. Of course I want it easy if I can get away with it. However, I'm not TRYING to get it easy. I just want an alternative to Cybergear. I would love if the Exoskeleton available for medics was totally different then the ones available for say, Psionics. It's JUST an IDEA, a brainstorm really, and one I have fun playing with. I LIKE hearing peoples comments!!

P.S. When all is said and done, I would accept cybernetics that DIDN'T chop parts of my body off. I don't care about the Essence thing, I'm a medic.
 Back to top »
epol

Post Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject:

My statement was more of a prioritizating preference of some of the general enhancements as opposed to being anti-profession specific enhancements.

But, whatever happens or is worked on is fine with me. Longer lasting mining picks would be very helpful! lol
 Back to top »
Seth Ventril
Disenfranchised Shadow

Post Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject:

Pardon if this sounds rude, but I'm sure the GMs are doing a keen job on prioritizing, as we stand back and hurl suggestions left and right. I doubt the staff is going to drop justice, new skill systems, whatever else they're working on to immediately start on exoskeletons (if the idea is accepted). I'm sure we'll see major changes before we see the entailing fluff changes.
---
---
 Back to top »
epol

Post Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject:

I'm sure you have much more insight into how they make decisions than I do, Seth...thank you.
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Suggestions and Ideas » Exoskeletons
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: