FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
NEWS 154 (Interest)
Goto page Previous  1, 2
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Bureaucrats » NEWS 154 (Interest)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject:

A few things I guess I should touch on...

Bureaucrats are a lacking class, and more fun stuff would be great. In fact, it's mandatory. But, the interest thing is hardly a big "fun factor" for them. It's not as if it is something one can actually physically take part in. Rather, it's a bonus. Instead of comparing it to survival which is much more complex and important to the profession, it would be more like comparing it to the faster engagement speed Agents have, or something.

HR is not a combat-dependent game. I have heard many people say "Thank god HR lets me progress without requiring combat.", but this goes both ways. If combat is optional, the only professions who are entitled to be good at it are combat-oriented professions. Still, any class can engage in combat well. The problem for Bureaucrats is that they are so one-dimensional that it's common for those characters to blow half their stat points on Charisma, which has virtually no combat value.

I do see your point about giving something if you take away, but I would like to say that I think it's not something you can take so literally. As a former Simutronics staff member, I was exposed to a high ranking exec in the company (in the top 3 of decision making at the time), who suggested using this "give something when you take away something" methodology, but they used it as an excuse to literally roll in any change, no matter how horrible. It can quickly end up being justification for difficult or poor decisions.

I do understand the concept of morale, and if you look at our track record, I think you'll see we do a lot to make players feel appreciated, ranging from introducing new content as regularly as we can, to seeking lots of opinions and polls, to things like bonus weekends which we've had a ton of over the years. But, I think hand-holding on every single negatively received change would be a destructive policy in the end.

I don't claim to know everything, but after five years with Simutronics, five with Haelrahv, and all my prior years in various gaming or service fields, I can say I have a rough idea of where success lies.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
RLH

Post Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:37 pm    Post subject:

Yes the interest was a side boon but lets face it, the rate could be cut, the accrual time can be extend, so that instead of everyday its ever month or ever quarter, heck make it dependent on how many hours have been played by the Crat in a certain period of time. There are other options besides just cutting it out all together. I don't think that any player should get "free money" but I also agree with Xav, why not wait until something else was put in place, it seems to me that the only things taking the hit in order to fix the economy are NON combat things. A person can still hunt and make a million bucks or close to it. Lets be fair, cut the value of treasure, make it less abundant and make the responsibility of fixing the economy carried by all of the players. And why not start actually dropping the prices of stuff...its hard to want to put money into the economy when everything costs just as much as it did before BUT the ability to make credits has been drastically reduced.

As to Crats being able to use combat, it is very unbalanced. In order to work on cases a Crat MUST have charisma, intelligence and mentality. Other professions have "combat friendly" stats incorporated in their needed stats, Crats don't plain and simple. And I have said it before and I will say it again....There is nothing wrong with a money making profession.

"The real issue isnt whether or not there is a morally acceptable amount of sex or violence, the real issue is; how can we put more sex in our violence?"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Xavain Gramorham says, "Yet you wanted to marry Mellie."
You hear the voice of Yaru Dex say, "For her MONEY geez! Not her VA****!."
 Back to top »
tygerwulf
Teh Pink Assassin.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:16 am    Post subject:

RLH wrote:
it seems to me that the only things taking the hit in order to fix the economy are NON combat things. A person can still hunt and make a million bucks or close to it. Lets be fair, cut the value of treasure, make it less abundant and make the responsibility of fixing the economy carried by all of the players.

Hunting takes A) Skill. And B) Carries the risk of death. Interest holds to neither of these. So, it's not really comparable.

Things that take some sort of risk SHOULD pay more than things that are perfectly safe like alchemy and such.
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:31 am    Post subject:

RLH wrote:
Yes the interest was a side boon but lets face it, the rate could be cut, the accrual time can be extend, so that instead of everyday its ever month or ever quarter, heck make it dependent on how many hours have been played by the Crat in a certain period of time. There are other options besides just cutting it out all together.

I agree, but you know what? I think we can do better than that. And, I think Bureaucrats deserve something more thoughtful than that.

RLH wrote:
I don't think that any player should get "free money" but I also agree with Xav, why not wait until something else was put in place, it seems to me that the only things taking the hit in order to fix the economy are NON combat things.

There's going to be more balancing out, all over the place. This wasn't a jab at Bureaucrats by any means.

RLH wrote:
A person can still hunt and make a million bucks or close to it. Lets be fair, cut the value of treasure, make it less abundant and make the responsibility of fixing the economy carried by all of the players.

Very few players make the big bucks from combat. Most of the income comes from non-combat activities. Additionally, high-level combat isn't that rewarding compared to lower-level combat. You usually get more drops of better stuff, but it's still the same stuff you were getting many levels ago. We'll be looking at all of this too.

RLH wrote:
And why not start actually dropping the prices of stuff...its hard to want to put money into the economy when everything costs just as much as it did before BUT the ability to make credits has been drastically reduced.

Prices will be changing on things, too. We're taking a multidimensional approach, but that doesn't mean you'll see all those dimensions roll in at once.

RLH wrote:
As to Crats being able to use combat, it is very unbalanced. In order to work on cases a Crat MUST have charisma, intelligence and mentality. Other professions have "combat friendly" stats incorporated in their needed stats, Crats don't plain and simple.

I agree, but I don't think there's any reason why Bureaucrats need to be combat-oriented. Additionally, nothing in the Bureaucrat's systems and such dictate you must put almost all your points in these stats. It just rewards you even more if you do. Bureaucrats don't have to focus so much on these stats, they choose to do so because it has benefits. You can be a decent combatant and still handle cases, etc. if you wish.

RLH wrote:
And I have said it before and I will say it again....There is nothing wrong with a money making profession.

No, there isn't, but there needs to be more to them than that, in my opinion. Also, how much more money they can make than the average Joe needs to be duly considered.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Bureaucrats » NEWS 154 (Interest)
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: