FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
weapon/armor decay proposal
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Suggestions and Ideas » weapon/armor decay proposal
View previous topic :: View next topic  
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: weapon/armor decay proposal

here we go! Very Happy

weapons and armor should work similar to carving knives for the woodworking system (and on a lesser note the spellsong bonus of tuned instruments) in terms of damage/decay.

BUT, it shouldn't just be that a weapon is the same at 100% quality as it is as 1%, and then at 0% it goes magically dead or unworkable or whatever.

so here goes this proposal!

rules of repair:

1) the quality of the weapon should be directly related to it's state of repair. as your item is damaged, it loses quality. this is a common sense thing i think that should be put into effect.

Code:
quality       repair state
abysmal       (0%)
very poor     (5%)
poor          (20%)
below average (40%)
average       (50%)
above average (60%)
good          (70%)
very good     (80%)
excellent     (90%)
remarkable    (100%)
phenomenal    (110%)
amazing       (120%)
spectacular   (130%)
astounding    (140%)
impressive    (150%)
extraordinary (160%)
fantastic     (170%)
unbelievable  (180%)

2) as an extra rule, no item can ever be repaired to above remarkable/100% in most situations (a nice exception list is below!)
2a) troopers should be allowed to repair all armors better than average, and be given a repair quality cap of 125%.
2b) trackers should be allowed to repair tanned armors better than average, once again to 125%.
2c) mercenaries should be allowed to repair all weapons better than average, once again to 125%
2d) everyone should be allowed to repair their primary weapon better than average, but only to 110% primary in this case being the first selection for your weapon specialization.
2e1) artisans should be able to repair everything non-tech better than everyone to 140%.
2e1) techs should be able to repair everything tech better than everyone to 140%.
2f) if you are the craftsman of the item, you get an extra 10% repair bonus

Code:
if Yaru crafts you some phenomenal armor, as it decays over use it will never go back to being at a quality state that it originally was, but...

1) Yaru could repair it to 150% for you
2) Another artisan could repair it to 140% for you
3) A tracker could repair it to 125% for you
4) You could repair it yourself to 100% (if you're not a tracker or artisan)

3) all items will have personal repair caps upon creation. if someone makes armor that starts off at good quality, all the Yaru-ing in the world won't bring it to astounding quality. nor would a merc be able to forage up a big rock and make it amazing quality.
3a) the bonus of upgrading at Vale would change to being able to raise this personal repair cap up until remarkable. you'd have to get the repairs to make it that way elsewhere.

4) repair materials for quality beyond X (TBD) won't be local/easy to obtain/common/cheap/something.

comments?
Tao

Post Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject:

Does this proposed idea allow a weapon/armor to degrade to the point that it isnt repairable?
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject:

Tao wrote:
Does this proposed idea allow a weapon/armor to degrade to the point that it isnt repairable?

no. when you're at 0% it's at abysmal quality and has really shitty stats.

i wouldn't be against having to make someone buy an extra-costly repair kit to fix things below 40% or something, though.
Tao

Post Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject:

So, if a weapon was at 100%, and Bob uses it till it reaches 0%, can someone repair it back to 100% or will it now only be repaired to 90%, then a few repairs later the max would be reduced to 70% and so on. Is that part of your idea?
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject:

Tao wrote:
So, if a weapon was at 100%, and Bob uses it till it reaches 0%, can someone repair it back to 100% or will it now only be repaired to 90%, then a few repairs later the max would be reduced to 70% and so on. Is that part of your idea?

the amount/kind of materials you would need would probably be in relation to what level of damage it has as well as high you wish to restore it in a particular session.

example: someone has some Yaru-made kucho pelt armor. he uses it to the point where it goes down to 80% quality. it will take 6 tanned kucho pelts and 10 straps for Yaru to bring it back up to max repair quality. If the person decides to wait until later and by that point it's at 50% quality, it may take 8 tanned kucho pelts, 15 straps, and 5 studs. If the person waits until it's at 0% quality, it may take 16 tanned kucho pelts, 30 straps, and 15 studs - making just getting new armor a better option but not denying them the chance to fully restore this one to full repair quality.
Tao

Post Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject:

+10 points then.
tygerwulf
Teh Pink Assassin.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject:

Someone needs to sticky this thread or something. Just so everyone can see that Tao and Soundless agreed on something.

Also, I think it's a good idea.
Xavain

Post Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject:

Only thing I'd like to add is shops that can do the repairs for a fee and with the same materials req. If we had a larger population I'd say it could be left off but I don't want to wait all day long for someone to wake up and be willing to fix my gear.
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject:

Xavain wrote:
Only thing I'd like to add is shops that can do the repairs for a fee and with the same materials req. If we had a larger population I'd say it could be left off but I don't want to wait all day long for someone to wake up and be willing to fix my gear.

since it would be for a fee plus all the materials, it would absorb even more money, which is A OK with me Wink
Xavain

Post Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject:

*chuckles* Let me clarify by saying a reasonable fee. 1 million credits for a weapon that's at 80% isn't worth it.
 Back to top »
HR-Mickey
Cloverfield Monster

Post Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject:

I'd planned for armor to degrade in Beta, before we even got to Live, so no problem there. I was also half-intending to do the same to weapons too when I started getting dirty in combat, so now it's also a go. As for quality of weapons/armor and newbies, etc, I believe there's already some code in play that limits how much they benefit from enhanced quality, and I'm probably going to make some changes to emphasize it more.

To make a long story short, don't tell it.

I may be going nowhere, but I'm going nowhere fast.
---
Kelvin Watt says, "I stopped drinking coke when no longer drinking beer didn't make my gut disappear."
---
Kaelin Rae says, "Wait a minute..."
Kaelin Rae says, "You mean they have a COKE machine that dispenses beer."
Kaelin Rae nods to you.
Kaelin Rae says, "Greaser."
Kaelin Rae looks at you and sighs.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Wei Wao
Woah

Post Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject:

Nice idea. I like it.

"That's not breakfast, that's a vendetta!"-Jimmy Shubert
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Suggestions and Ideas » weapon/armor decay proposal
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: