FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Say it ain't so!
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Out of Character Discussions » Say it ain't so!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tylen
Alpha Antifemale

Post Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject: Say it ain't so!

Quote:
Study links oral sex and throat cancer

Researchers have linked oral sex to a type of throat cancer, saying that those who engaged in the sexual act with more than six partners over the course of their lifetime were nine times more likely to develop oropharyngeal cancer.

Here's the conclusion from their report in the latest issue of the New England Journal of Medicine: Oral HPV infection is strongly associated with oropharyngeal cancer among subjects with or without the established risk factors of tobacco and alcohol use.

"Many adolescents, and adults too, say they engage in oral sex as a less-risky type of sex," Mark Schuster of the Rand Corp. and UCLA, tells the Washington Post. He notes that herpes, syphilis, gonorrhea, HIV and other sexually transmitted infections can be spread through oral sex. "What this article and others show is you absolutely can get serious sexually transmitted diseases through oral sex."

Oral sex, both fellatio and cunnilingus, is thought to be the primary mode of transmission, but the study doesn't rule out the possibility that the virus can be passed through mouth-to-mouth contact, according to a press release from Johns Hopkins University.

BBC News says additional studies are required to reach definitive conclusions about the findings. The researchers have posted a Q&A about HPV. USA TODAY reported today that another study says the cervical cancer vaccine is less effective in those who are sexually active.

The CDC says 20 million people are infected with HPV right now, and that 50% of sexually active people will be infected with the virus at some point.

** The phrase "break a leg" just wasn't ambitious enough for Mellie Knight. [8:31 pm]
** Mellie Knight was soundly defeated by Aesal Anari-Idia in the Zgedhi Gkenrzeg Rav! [8:31 pm]
 Back to top »
indigone
Mild mannered thinker

Post Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject:

So 6 is the magic number. So stop at 5. If that has already been surpassed, party on.

Aren't statistics wonderful?
"Woke up late one Thursday, and I'm seeing stars as I'm rubbing my eyes. And I felt like there were two days missing, as I focused on the time. And I made my way to the kitchen, but I had to stop from the shock of what I found, a room full of all of my friends dancing round and round and round. And I thought hello new shoes, Bye-Bye blues!"

- Paolo Nutini
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject:

is it really that shocking that HPV can cause problems anywhere it shows up?
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Out of Character Discussions » Say it ain't so!
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: