FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Studying powers in spellbooks
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Magic and Psionics » Studying powers in spellbooks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
indigone
Mild mannered thinker

Post Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Studying powers in spellbooks

I've often wondered whether this was a bug or intentional. When Xil studies her powers out of her spell book, it takes substantially longer to learn them when she's just brushing up compared to when she's forgotten them completely.

It takes her 21 reads to learn a power when it has a * next to it, compared to about 5 reads when it has a ? next to it.

This seems counterintuitive. Is it intentional? The difference is so drastic, seems like "brushing up" is discouraged. However from a skill (nskills now) learning perspective, a psion is better off spending the time brushing up.
"Woke up late one Thursday, and I'm seeing stars as I'm rubbing my eyes. And I felt like there were two days missing, as I focused on the time. And I made my way to the kitchen, but I had to stop from the shock of what I found, a room full of all of my friends dancing round and round and round. And I thought hello new shoes, Bye-Bye blues!"

- Paolo Nutini
 Back to top »
HR-Tkiro

Post Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject:

Are you going by messaging or by their status indicators in the SCAN of the spellbook(psibook?)?

I ask because I think the messaging is a bit off on studying a spell that's just 'wearing off' rather than totally forgotten.
 Back to top »
indigone
Mild mannered thinker

Post Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject:

Not sure what messaging you mean, but I'm going by the scan. Once you get to the ? you can't use the power at all until you study it.
"Woke up late one Thursday, and I'm seeing stars as I'm rubbing my eyes. And I felt like there were two days missing, as I focused on the time. And I made my way to the kitchen, but I had to stop from the shock of what I found, a room full of all of my friends dancing round and round and round. And I thought hello new shoes, Bye-Bye blues!"

- Paolo Nutini
 Back to top »
Denavae
Lookit the flowers!

Post Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject:

If you read the page you're studying it says something along the lines of 'you don't really need to study this anymore', which I think is the highest you can study it to. However, if you study it straight up from nothing, I think the highest is "you are intimately familiar with this power".

Because, personally, I only have to study once or twice to refresh the spell, whereas it's about 5-10 (never really counted) to learn it anew.

BoonDock Saints wrote:
When I raise my flashing sword, and my hand takes hold on judgment, I will take vengeance upon mine enemies, and I will repay those who haze me. Oh, Lord, raise me to Thy right hand and count me among Thy saints.
 Back to top »
indigone
Mild mannered thinker

Post Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject:

That messaging isn't what I was referring to, I'm looking at the scan.

- Paolo Nutini
 Back to top »
Denavae
Lookit the flowers!

Post Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject:

Then I think it may be a bug with your personal psibook then. Usually when I study my book, it's when I first notice the asterisk behind the spell, and it usually goes away within one or two studies and the messaging for the spell reads "you dont really need to study it anymore". Other then that, I don't know what to say .. maybe try studying in a place that gives an inherent bonus to research and see if that helps any. I know the academy in the Jaddan sector has a room in which you can study that gives a decent bonus to research (+5 or so, I think).

Edited :: I just logged in and noticed two spells with the asterisk next to them in my book. I read the page and got "Your memory of this power is fading. You should study it more relatively soon.". With one study, the asterisk went away, and with another, I got to the "you don't really need to study this anymore" part. That's sitting in CC with a research of 32 (+2 for the inherent bonus).

BoonDock Saints wrote:
When I raise my flashing sword, and my hand takes hold on judgment, I will take vengeance upon mine enemies, and I will repay those who haze me. Oh, Lord, raise me to Thy right hand and count me among Thy saints.
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject:

research doesn't help when reading spellbooks.
Denavae
Lookit the flowers!

Post Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject:

ah, I thought it did. And I'm fairly certain I remember reading somewhere that it helped with it. Maybe that was just tomes, though.

BoonDock Saints wrote:
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:06 am    Post subject:

i think i suggested it because i want my 250 in it to do something beyond personal role-play required skill RP Very Happy

occult lore makes you learn psionics faster and remember them longer, while spell research does those for magic.
Denavae
Lookit the flowers!

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:23 am    Post subject:

Yeah, I reread the posts that I remembered seeing it in and realized I completely skipped over the word 'spell' in 'spell research'. Hence my confusion.

BoonDock Saints wrote:
 Back to top »
indigone
Mild mannered thinker

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:11 am    Post subject:

I read the book until I get "You know it like the back of your hand". These are all psi pages, none are mage pages.

Like I said, with nothing or an asterisk it is 20+ reads, with a question mark it's 4 - 5 reads.

Is there an official response out there?

- Paolo Nutini
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject:

As I recall, this was intentional because if someone hadn't played in a bit, they'd have to spend a ton of time learning spells if they had forgotten them all. But, I don't know that it was intended to create the disparity it has.

I found a portion of the system that seemed to have a math error in it, but I can't be sure since it's been a while since I wrote that math and I've forgotten some of the original intent.

Regardless, I altered it in a way that makes sense to me now, and you'll find it takes less time to refresh your memory on powers and spells now. Depending on your spell research skill (or occult lore for powers), it will take approx. 4 to 10 studies per spell to refresh.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
indigone
Mild mannered thinker

Post Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject:

HR-Trevor wrote:
As I recall, this was intentional because if someone hadn't played in a bit, they'd have to spend a ton of time learning spells if they had forgotten them all. But, I don't know that it was intended to create the disparity it has.

I found a portion of the system that seemed to have a math error in it, but I can't be sure since it's been a while since I wrote that math and I've forgotten some of the original intent.

Regardless, I altered it in a way that makes sense to me now, and you'll find it takes less time to refresh your memory on powers and spells now. Depending on your spell research skill (or occult lore for powers), it will take approx. 4 to 10 studies per spell to refresh.

I just wanted to say thank you for this. As soon as I see an asterisk I'll be able to give it a try. Sounds really good though. Thank you.

- Paolo Nutini
 Back to top »
indigone
Mild mannered thinker

Post Posted: Wed May 02, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject:

oooooh ahhhhhhhh...... 4 is goooooooooood. Razz

- Paolo Nutini
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Magic and Psionics » Studying powers in spellbooks
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: