FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Materials
Goto page 1, 2  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » "Live" Discussions » Materials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: Materials

One of the things I'm working on today is metallurgy. It's one of the Artisan skills. I'm working up plans for the properties of metals to have much more significance. Additionally, the actual process of obtaining metals from mined ore, and further, obtaining liquid metals (that is, metals that are liquids at room temperature) by processing stones that contain them. Imagine if you could do that with your eorit slabs now. Wink

Anyway, when all is said and done, I'm planning to have various blacksmithing techniques (partially but not completely realistic or based on real world mechanics), the ability to create various alloys, etc. I've already considered issues such as "how easily could I turn this into a blade or a plate for armor?" and "Is this metal ductile enough for easy use in jewelry?"

Metals will have varying melting points, conductivities, densities, etc. But before anyone gets too excited, the goal isn't a full blown scientifcally-backed system. I did attempt to translate the properties of the few Earth metals we have into game-usable numbers so they seem true to life, but all of these mechanics will end an intepretation of reality.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject:

Please make liquid metals hazardous if not handled properly. I'd love to laugh at people that didn't wear gloves or protective eyewear when handling a mercury- or bromine-like metal in the game.

Because then my time in O.Chem would not have been wasted at all.

</science>

At any rate, I can't wait to see the list of available metals. I can only assume there will be additions to the list we have now.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject:

Liquid metals will carry their own special little hazards as appropriate. Wink

The liquid ones are all new, it's possible new solid ones will be added. In addition, there are many solid metals that have existed all along but don't exist in the wiki either because of their rarity in-game, a recent release, or the fact they've never been used in game at this point.

Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject:

Oh, what did you mean when you mentioned you were trying to make the properties of metals more significant?

Did you mean, for example, a copper sword will be lighter and cause less damage than a steel sword?

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject:

To cite your example, a copper sword would be more prone to breakage, less able to hold a sharp edge, conduct electricity and heat, lighter than, more malleable and ductile, less lustrous, equally resistant to corrosion and melt at a lower temperature than gehflif, which is comparable to steel. They'd be equally conductive of magic (which is treated like electricity or heat in this case) and copper is slightly less rare.

Iron and steel don't exist as commonly used materials in Haelrahv, though they exist (well iron exists, steel as a processed metal probably does too, but iron is so rare compare to Earth that it's a non issue). You probably see iron and steel used in-game much more than you should, because it's rare. It's a case where it's not necessarily better either. If you had iron and even if you could make good steel from it, there are other metals just as good that would as rare or less rare.

Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject:

But... but humans need iron to live. Sad

--William

ps: I'm just trying to be a science nerd, don't mind me. It'd be kind of easy to explain away humans being able to sustain themselves on a planet low in iron.

pps: It'd be neat if at least Artisans had an ability/command that'd let them compare various metals on the spot. Just from memory, you know. From studying various books and using the metals themselves enough they'd eventually be able to tell you differences and similarities on the spot. Of course, this is easily accomplished by the HR Wiki... or an echo script.

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject:

Yeah. Not only could other metals be similar enough to fulfill the role, but there could be something about Haelrahv that makes iron actually fairly common, but not in the form of large chunks of metal or ore. Such as trace iron that is very common in the air, water, etc.

Or perhaps iron exists but a method to seperate it from some other material hasn't been found (much like how naturally occuring mercury is very rare, but it can be found much more readily in cinnabar, and is ever-present in the world around us in general, esp. in some fish, etc.)

Back to top »
HR-Kelvin

Post Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:57 am    Post subject:

Eat more spinach Laughing
 Back to top »
Alarah Aesheona

Post Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Materials

HR-Trevor wrote:
One of the things I'm working on today is metallurgy. It's one of the Artisan skills.

Sooo...::shuffles around a bit:: While we're on the topic of Artisan skills, how bout tossing in the ability to embroider the ishaik tattoo designs on finished tailoring products? Wink

P.S. The metalworking sounds intriguing. Very Happy
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject:

I haven't touched anything re: working with textiles and the like, and most of the stuff that's in the current game I will leave up to Hannah to fiddle with for Live (of course, offering code support where needed.)

Back to top »
Tao

Post Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject:

HR-Trevor wrote:
I haven't touched anything re: working with textiles and the like, and most of the stuff that's in the current game I will leave up to Hannah to fiddle with for Live (of course, offering code support where needed.)

Mental note: Must sweet talk Hannah into getting a scantly clad female darju weilding a grim eilaro executioner's blade in a sexy pose created for tattoos, embroidery, and armor.
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject:

there are already some sexy-darju-gal poses for ishak tattoos IIRC
Tao

Post Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject:

soundless wrote:
there are already some sexy-darju-gal poses for ishak tattoos IIRC

Plans have been scratched do to the all knowing Yaru. Sorry Hannah, you'll have to get your sweet talking from someone else then.
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject:

and here i was thinking you'd be happy to know you could get something already, not discouraged from thinking you can't ask for more. Sad
Milan Fiori

Post Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject:

This is really interesting, since metallurgy and smithing are hobbies of mine. Will this be artisan only, or available to the properly trained? I ask, because I could see the more combat oriented professions, being skilled blacksmiths as well.

Also will the rarer metals such as Paraqin, be harder to work, or will it be based on the properties of the metal itself?
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » "Live" Discussions » Materials
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: