FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Critter help
Goto page 1, 2  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Combat & Hunting » Critter help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cirena

Post Posted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 11:03 pm    Post subject: Critter help

Just curious as to whether or not there will be something to help hunters look at whatever their currently hunting to get an idea of certain things of that critter.....<example: Measure Eolai, You see an Eolai Male who seems dangerous to you, has a weakness to cake and seems to be in good health> Or this <assess BTG, You see BTG who seems like someone you don't want to tick off, is impervius to everything and seems to be in excellent health>. You could use measure, assess, appraise, etc. in determining critter strength, etc.

Thanks
Cirena
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 11:18 pm    Post subject:

I will make every attempt to get something of this sort in there to gauge difficulty. Smile

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
Cirena

Post Posted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 11:34 pm    Post subject:

Thanks would be greatly appreciated and as I looked thru the skill list 3 skills stood out to me as far as what would determine learning more about critters.....other than weapon/unarmed skill and levels that is. 1.Appraisal which is probably only for items 2. Research maybe limited to book learning types and 3. Tactics for it being a made for combat extra.

Thanks again for the listen.

Cirena
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 12:02 am    Post subject:

Such an ability would be based on tactics and a mixture of perception and intellect, and some other factors.

Back to top »
senutyenool

Post Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 6:00 pm    Post subject:

HR-Trevor wrote:
I will make every attempt to get something of this sort in there to gauge difficulty. Smile

Please do. Razz

It should, even at the lowest ranks, give you an idea of the degree of difficulty you would have in dispatching said critter. This accuracy would obviously increase with your stat/skill level thereby allowing you to correctly gauge whether you should attack or make a strategic withdrawal. Wink

I don't believe you should be able to do this though when sizing up other characters. If this were to happen you'd have a large part of the population just going around Pk'ing for the fun it which would thereby detract from the roleplaying environment that you are trying to advocate. Once again these are just my 2 shekels Wink

a.k.a Senutyenool
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 7:10 pm    Post subject:

Here's my personal thoughts, to be specific...

Assessing NPC opponents:
- Should be able to tell general difficulty regardless of skill.
- Should need skill for specifics on difficulty like how powerful, quick, etc compared to yourself.

Assessing PC opponents:
- Should need skill to get any comparison.
- Should need higher skill than assessing NPC's for the details, just for balance and details should be less than when assessing NPC's.
- Perhaps work charisma into a chance to deceive the assessor.

Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 7:36 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
- Perhaps work charisma into a chance to deceive the assessor.

Don't forget Jedi mind-tricks. "These are not the droids we are looking for."

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
Dragoonseal

Post Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 1:03 pm    Post subject:

I really don't like the idea of being able to assess other PCs as well. It lets people look at your skills, and you can't do anything about it. But if you do go ahead with it, I'd ask for some kind of flag or avoid we can put on so it does not work on you.
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 1:07 pm    Post subject:

Hmm. Doesn't it make sense that if someone has a trained eye and you're not trained in ways to throw that eye off, that you'd be able to size someone up roughly? Of course if you botched, you may totally misjudge them. A set/flag seems like an artificial boundary, too.

Back to top »
Cirena

Post Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 1:29 pm    Post subject:

Oh I wasn't asking to look at the skills of a PC, wasn't even asking for any info on a PC as I as a player dislike CvC, although Cirena is the opposite. If anything like has already been said, just a look at how a critter or even now a PC measures up to my characters own skills for a hunt or battle.

Thanks
Cirena
 Back to top »
Dragoonseal

Post Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 2:08 pm    Post subject:

Not if your sitting there with no weapons out, perhaps no armor, just eattin some grub, talking to some friends.. you cannot just assess me and get a read out of my combat skills.

If I don't want people to know how skilled I am, I won't. I'm not in combat mode constantly.

Think of RL, you can look at that skinny pale teenager over there sitting down, who would of thought he was actually very good at Judo, and could kick your ass? Or that that build guy over there leaning against the wall is actually a wuss, and couldn't defend himself at all?
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 2:30 pm    Post subject:

Hmm. What about assessing people when they ARE in combat, then?

Back to top »
Dragoonseal

Post Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 3:18 pm    Post subject:

Who says they're not holding back or trying out a new weapon/armor. Who says they didn't just get really lucky when they shot that <critter>. Maybe they just know a secret to hunting that critter that you don't, but you could still kick their (player) ass.

You as the player can look at someone shooting a certain critter, so you can say "well he has about X amount of skill at least", but whats to say he doesn't have way more skill, and he's just purposely shooting limbs or something.

Also people can't necessarily see what profession you are, they can't see what kind of bonuses you have, how well your armor is protecting you, how good weapon your using is... and they don't have a bloody clue what any of your Attributes are (strength, coordination, etc).

Basically what I'm trying to say is that there are just too many factors. You can't just walk into a room, appraise someone, and know your more skilled. It gives away people's skills, which is the big problem I have with it, and its unrealistic, you can't possibly gauge someone like that.
Dante
Boi Toi

Post Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 5:13 pm    Post subject:

I'm kind of with Dragoon here, it can be very hard to judge how skilled a person is because they, unlike monsters or animals, can usually think a lot better than say, a wolf. Monsters and animals usually act on instinct, but humans can do any number of other things and come up with more complex ways of psyching people/things out that animals just can't do. Confused

Although I think I'm speaking against it more because I like keeping my skills secret, too. Very Happy I never did like giving people ranks in something when they asked me in DR, I'll likely figure out ways around giving them a straight answer here as well. Speaking of which, are we going to have something like the "EXP RP" command which gave a general worded classification for a skill range instead of numbers?
HR-Jocelyn

Post Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 6:35 pm    Post subject:

I personally agree with Trevor...someone who is a skilled fighter with say a bow, can generally pin point whether someone else is skilled at the bow or not simply by how they take care of their weapon, handle their weapon, and in some cases simply carry themselves.
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Combat & Hunting » Critter help
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: