Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Quests
Goto page Previous  1, 2
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » "Live" Discussions » Quests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deblaeju

Post Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:41 am    Post subject:

like wide variety of quests only quests i never liked are like the ghosthouse, only in the fact that too many people at once. like smaller group, to personal quests, I believe the ghosthouse was great, but didn't like having everyone doing it at once basically.

with larger groups many are not able to figure things out or even see anything before everyone moves off doing something, several times i've been on large quest i could barely see a box of treasure or puzzles are done before I even had time to see the puzzle was there, and everyone else grabs something or its only one treasure and so don't get anything of course they seem to know the best items right off too:)
 Back to top »
Denavae
Lookit the flowers!

Post Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:27 am    Post subject:

Quests rock. Plain and simple.

Titles in any shape, form, or fashion are purely out of character no matter what, so really ... what's the point of having them as quest 'rewards'? Personally, I like things that are more tangible ... a scar from a rampaging super-chith, a faint burn mark from a miscast spell that some silly mage needed help with, things like that. But that's just me. I like to be able to say, "Hey! I just went out and killed such and such and got this spiffy-ass scar!" (though it would ruin Vae's flawless alabaster skin Razz ) Only down-side to this is, 1) Not everyone likes scars or other markings and 2) Everyone who does the quest will have a scar or other marking. So it's really nothing special.

I also thoroughly enjoy small random quests that somehow tie together like the alajsh ones. You can't do one quest without another type thing. So, take for example, that you come across a poor man who lost his daughter to some type of critter. Now, he knows a little bit about the creature, but can't really tell you where to find it, or how to go about killing it. But he refers you to a second person, a tracker, who knows about the creature, but will only tell you for a price. So, in order to find the creature, you need to find said price for the tracker's expertise. Then you kill the creature, save the girl, get a kiss (and a scar) and some small token 'prize'. It may not be much, but if you go back to the tracker, he gives you a secondary semi-quest where that little token comes into play, and you have to use it to get a larger reward type thing.

I absolutely LOVE huge-ass quests that take hours upon hours, or hell, even weeks to finish. Quests that use every ounce of our experience as players to accomplish. Now ... a lot of people like group quests, which is great and all, but not everyone likes them (me included). People move too quickly, pass things up, et cetera, et cetera, and it just ruins the fun for me. I think it would be a good idea to ideally have group quests that must be done in groups AND individual quests that can be done in groups if you wish AND singular, no grouping quests to make the game a fully interactive and rich environment to play in.

On a tangent, though, if the idea of 'tangible' awards do come out, it would also be a good idea to include an easy way for people to remove scars, burns, et cetera without any extra help (plastic surgeon, for example). I only say this because some people would wish to keep the fact they completed the quest quiet, and having a doctor remove said scar would jeopordize that desire.
 Back to top »
Seth Ventril
Disenfranchised Shadow

Post Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject:

I'm pretty much in the same boat as everyone else. Lots of small quests to break the monotony of hunting/skill grinding/whatever. And some large quests that have some greater goal than "Giant chickens are molesting my farm. Collect for me 20 disembodied beaks".

As for rewards, to avoid the magic item parade that Zamde was talking about , have the rewards as money, on-level/skill gear, and maybe just some neat fluff items.
Assassin: That's a good point...The creed is..."Stick them with the pointy end." - Ctrl+Alt+Del parody of Assassin's Creed.
---
TELEPATHY [close]:  Yaru Dex - "Great now you made Mickey cry. Thanks a lot, Seth."
---
Korell Ventril exclaims, "Choo ain no guard! Choo a crackhead!"
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject:

Denavae wrote:
Titles in any shape, form, or fashion are purely out of character no matter what, so really ... what's the point of having them as quest 'rewards'?

i'm not sure why people always find titles so OOC. titles are perfectly IC except for the more cutesy/gag ones (which are also possible to see as IC).

think of titles as quick-and-easy ways to describe someone. since we are all playing "more than just the local citizen" type characters, and if not that then the "more notable citizen" type, a title is more how the local areas quickly describe that guy. Bob the Slasher, George the Renegade Cop, Bill the Stinky One.
Denavae
Lookit the flowers!

Post Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject:

so .... Does Yaru have his title tattooed to his forehead? On his arm? If he does, it's completely in character. Otherwise, it is out of character, just like automatically knowing someones name. You can't walk in to a coffee shop somewhere and automatically see that guy at the counter is Master Coffee Drinker Joe Bob, the girl sitting in the corner on her laptop sipping a latte is Supreme LACAD Hacker Jane Smith, etc, etc. So, unless the title is tattooed to the character (name as well, but then a lot of people have those ID bracelets) or you are told, then it's out of character, simply because your character would not know it just by glancing at a person.

Using a title as a "quick-and-easy way to descibe people", I don't see this at all for the reasons listed above. Your character doesn't KNOW that George over there is a Renegade Cop unless he's been flaunting it and telling everyone he is, nor would a decent "slasher" type character want someone to judge him because of his title. That's like saying if PvP comes back, and a string of brutal slasher murders props up, everyone automatically goes to Bob the Slasher just because his title is such. That is using OOC information in an IC way, and I would personally be furious if that happened to me.

In the same sense, if you want to be George the Renegade Cop, do it through the way he acts, talks, etc. Portray your character through RP, not some title. Vae can be included in this because he's a tease, and several women around Llanfair can attest to this. But does he need a title that says, "Sex-tease Denavae DeVries"? Hell, even if I had the title, I wouldn't use it because I -know- that someone would take it out of character and use it as a way to judge the way Vae acts.

And now, back to your normal thread about quests.
 Back to top »
Seth Ventril
Disenfranchised Shadow

Post Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject:

Ok. Let's look at it like this:

A title is a title. Whether it's a mark of accomplishment or royalty, it is a title. And it's attached to a person's name. Officer Roth, President Bush, Governer Granholm.

A name is a name. Sure in RL people don't know I'm Jordan til I tell them. But I'm imagining a system in a text game which blocks a name til you unlock said person's name would be pretty difficult. My name being displayed in your LOOK *is* ooc. So is my title, to a degree. But it's still my title, and that's why when I introduce myself, I usually introduce myself with my title, or something similar. It's not ooc, because if it is, then so's your name.
Assassin: That's a good point...The creed is..."Stick them with the pointy end." - Ctrl+Alt+Del parody of Assassin's Creed.
---
TELEPATHY [close]:  Yaru Dex - "Great now you made Mickey cry. Thanks a lot, Seth."
---
Korell Ventril exclaims, "Choo ain no guard! Choo a crackhead!"
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject:

Denavae wrote:
so .... Does Yaru have his title tattooed to his forehead? On his arm? If he does, it's completely in character. Otherwise, it is out of character, just like automatically knowing someones name.

Yaru's beyond famous because he's a super duper hero of the realm (tm), as if everyone else. That's like saying "I don't know who George Bush is, let alone that he's President!"
Denavae
Lookit the flowers!

Post Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject:

Hey, guys, that's great and dandy. You'll play how you want, I'll play how I want. To each their own and all that. But this is a thread about Quests, not about how OOC or not titles and names are. I'm all for continuing this topic, but lets do it out of this thread and in the one about Roleplaying that I made a few days ago.

My choice to RP titles and names as out of character information until I'm told them is my choice. I'm not trying to force my opinion on anyone, because frankly, I'd be shocked if this game ever hit the amount of RP I'm used to.

And Seth, last I heard you introduced yourself as a Locksmith, not shade or stalker or whatever it is your title is at the moment. And Yaru. I didn't know you were some super duper hero of the realm until you just said it. All I knew is that you were a great artisan from word of mouth from other people.

Anyways, back to Quests in general, and leave the OOCness of titles/names and gods know what else to the Roleplaying threads.
 Back to top »
Haidee
Bow chicka bow wow

Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:31 am    Post subject:

*vomit*
Inside an intricately beaded twilight black suede corset with hot pink lacings you see a buttery nipple, a buttery nipple, a steaming pile of gamojab poop, a speckled red crab, a chocolate chip brownie, a map of Haelrahv, a huge blonde hair ball, a severed Haidee head, and your boobs.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
zamde
Maestro

Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject:

Denavae wrote:
because frankly, I'd be shocked if this game ever hit the amount of RP I'm used to.

I'm not looking to turn this into a brawl anymore than anyone else, but this stuck out to me. Which online text game are you "used to" having heavy nonstop RP? And MUSH/MUCKs don't count any more than Furcadia does.

Dixie Pierce says, "I heard Zamde can't have kids cause she lactates poison."

[Telepathy] Yaru Dex projects: I thought Zamde doesn't have kids because her womb is full of aisobs.

You can't spell "slaughter" without 'laughter'.

Llanfair Anti-Cyber Brigade Member #0000
 Back to top »
Denavae
Lookit the flowers!

Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject:

I really hate saying other game names on boards of a different game. It just seems ... wrong.

But in this instance, the game I'm used to is called Unwritten. While I'm not particularly sure on the differences on a Mud, Muck, and Mush, from what I have read, Unwritten would be classified as a Mud, as it incorporates the hack-and-slash along with heavy RP that is not (always) Staff initiated. There are, of course, staff run quests, but the vast majority of people run their own stories, interact with each other on their own level without the need, or use, of staff intervention. However, there are some aspects of a MUSH as well, especially the OOC channels and the like for help.

That isn't to say that Haelrahv is totally clear of Roleplaying ... quite the opposite. There is some RP around, though most of what I've come across being a tease, tends to run to the sexual side. The RP was excellent the other day, especially with the Darju, but again, that was staff initiated. On a normal basis without staff of any sort, I hardly ever find the same amount of roleplaying present. I will amend this by saying that not all people follow this line. I won't name any names, but some people are good at keeping consistent RP up.

People also rarely stay in character in private groups of friends, often commenting on the pretty names of people who log in and out (no offense to the people who do this - it's just one of my pet peeves, but I don't wish to hurt anyones feelings), the days weather, whatever the case may be.
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject:

UL has nice RP, but it also didn't impress me that much.

I also leveled up to 60 in under a month, got bored, and went back to HR.
HR-Mickey
Cloverfield Monster

Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject:

I'm obviously more than a little partial, but in my experience with MUSH/MUCK, the development interface and codebases are so clunky and counterintuitive that you're better off RPing than doing anything else.

MUSH/MUCK/MOO/MUSE, etc, are all essentially MUDs (or MU*s).

</oldschool game geek>

To make a long story short, don't tell it.

I may be going nowhere, but I'm going nowhere fast.
---
Kelvin Watt says, "I stopped drinking coke when no longer drinking beer didn't make my gut disappear."
---
Kaelin Rae says, "Wait a minute..."
Kaelin Rae says, "You mean they have a COKE machine that dispenses beer."
Kaelin Rae nods to you.
Kaelin Rae says, "Greaser."
Kaelin Rae looks at you and sighs.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » "Live" Discussions » Quests
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: