FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Equipment
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » "Live" Discussions » Equipment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tao

Post Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject:

Man, I really hate the idea of weapons breaking. It's like when I was playing DR and had a really sweet scimitar that was in perfect condition but broke after a few swings at a crite down in Shard. I had the skills and stats to handle the crite with no problem, but it still broke. I reported it and the GM basically told me shit happens, go use something else. After that happened, I was scared to use expensive, hard-to-get, or altered weapons/armor. I know I'm gonna miss my toys when we go to LIVE, but getting weapons/armor altered wont be fun no more. I like the idea of weapons/armor needing repairs but to have them eventually wear down to not being able to use em....ughh. I can see it now, I'll have a room full of worn down boomsticks collecting dust. It'd be like a weapons cemetary. Sighs.
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject:

Brokyn wrote:
Will binding increase integrity and lifetime durability?

Probably.

Brokyn wrote:
Also, this isn't going to affect clothing and containers is it?

I'd be inclined to say no one clothing and maybe on containers.

Denavae wrote:
but I'm pretty skeptical on it already. Yes, guns are equipment. Swords are equipment. But there are steps to take that will drastically reduce their chance of damage and breakage. Constant cleaning and upkeep is one of those ways. Not to mention there are various parts that could break and be repaired instead of the whole weapon being so unusable its best to just trash it.

Bear in mind that there are times we aren't even remotely attempting to be realistic because there is some strong benefit to gameplay to deviate from reality. I realize that guns last a very long time in the real world, and I'm not in any way attempting to justify their degradation as other equipment as realistic. It purely for sake of gameplay and balance.

I also just don't think people will want to use the same gun for a really long time, unless they hunt a lot but level rarely by comparison. You could stick to a lesser weapon for nostalgia, but chances are there will be more powerful weapons you'll have plenty of reason to consider using instead of the one you've been using for a while.

soundless wrote:
::Comments about economy, etc.::

One of our top priorities is to balance out the economy more. Right now it's pretty ridiculous and I think we all know that. Even if you don't make money hand over fist, you know other players who do, probably. I don't think putting everyone in the poor house is the solution, either, but a good, balanced system where wealth isn't impossible to acquire, yet is truly worth what it should be because of the effort to do so is important.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject:

HR-Trevor wrote:
Brokyn wrote:
Also, this isn't going to affect clothing and containers is it?

I'd be inclined to say no one clothing and maybe on containers.

i'd love containers wearing out, at least player made ones. i'm definitely not a fan of artisan things being one-shots that are never needed again (except if you want a new color, etc).

yes i'm greedy. Very Happy

Tao wrote:
I know I'm gonna miss my toys when we go to LIVE, but getting weapons/armor altered wont be fun no more.

it would be cool if there was some kind of holotek device that was coded to a specific type of "thing" that could be moved from item to item, letting you keep at least the illusion of that item alive.

::cough cough nudge nudge::

Last edited by soundless on Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject:

I generally think it's good for the game as a whole to have almost everything wear out. The one grand exception is cosmetic items because in a perfect world you'd have lots of styles and designs to give you reason for variety, rather than wearing out one ratty tunic after another.

Back to top »
Denavae
Lookit the flowers!

Post Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject:

Well, I guess it all works out with the breakage, though. I mean, artisans will be able to change look and tap of stuff, won't they? So, if it just breaks, go get it remade.
 Back to top »
Tao

Post Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject:

I could go for the holotek idea. Please Trevor? Smile
wildlandsong

Post Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject:

I am very unhappy to find out my altered weapons and items will wear out and break. Weapons especially. If you want my clothing to wear out to tattered rags fine but please dont destroy my treasured weapons. I would rather have my house fall apart than my best weapon destroyed. There are tons of ways to soak up money and there are always going to be those that horde it even when there are things to do with it.

I sincerely think there should be ways for us to protect one or two treasured items at the very least. Maintenance time sinks in cleaning and care as you have considered will extend the life of the object but in the end your still saying my altered weapon will be destroyed. If you want to get money out of the system, a payment to some crazed mage who puts a protection spell on it that lasts x amount of time. I mean whats the point of creating something unique and wonderful if the next time i take a swipe at a critter it collapses into shards??? Ok yes I could use a holoprojection to transfer my treasured design from one blade to the next over and over but is the illusion of my grandfathers rifle the same as holding my grandfathers rifle and knowing that its passed from generation to generation carefully cared for by loving hands? Yes I am a sentimental slob. In DR I have a forged weapon that isnt the best available now but it orignally belonged to a dear friend who passed it to a mutal friend when he left who gave it to me when he left. It has history. It has special meaning to me and when i leave DR which I have been meaning to do because i spend all my time in HR i will pass that treasured weapon on to someone I care about to pass on to someone they care about. I altered it with loving memory to those that had gone before.

Yeah i would be bummed if my vanity wig fell apart but i can live without pretty hair and fancy clothing but losing my treasured weapons... that would be torture. Sure take my storebought skinning knife.. or my replacable weapons, destroy my artist made armor so I have to buy new stuff. But my fest ones? Destroying festival items means those with the money will horde large numbers of items to sell at outrageous prices later.

Losing my altered weapon (which are the main weapons I use) means I lose my preferred means of making money to get those fancy useless luxuries that one buys like wigs and bigger backpacks and pretty jewelry or fun clothing. But even more so it means I lose the virtual items I use to make my character unique as well as the RP that evolves around those items.

I understand why you want to do the deterioration but I am not happy about it. I think there should be expensive ways to thwart the degradation. Please consider giving us some options for that. I am all for needing the artists and needing the techs and for diversity in the game but dont make it so realistic that its not fun to have special things any more. I know your putting a lot of thought into this and a lot of work into making the land a better place for us all. I am grateful for that, but sometimes there is such a thing as too realistic. Part of being here is the joy of sharing but also of being able to own somethings virtually that we cant RL.

DR became less joyful to live in because it became too realistic and people there lost thier close knit family ways. Thier GMs became jaded and unresponsive. I love it here in HR because you are responsive and because even with our differences we are family here. I fully support you trying to better the game but remember to leave a little unreality in for the dreamers and optimists who think they can hand on the baton of a treasured item to future generations as an hierloom piece.
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:50 am    Post subject:

You do realize this is a discussion about Live, not about the existing game, and therefore your existing items are in no way affected or part of the discussion, right?

Back to top »
Tao

Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject:

Well I have been told to save the descriptions of our altered stuff so that when LIVE comes, we can eventually get it done again (if it meets the requirements of course). I know that we'll be losing our stuff when we go to LIVE but it would pain me to know that if I do get them recreated, that they're eventually be unusable to me. It'd be like losing them again. Sad
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject:

doom and gloom aside, what is the [average?] shelf-life of a weapon planned to be?
Seth Ventril
Disenfranchised Shadow

Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject:

While it does suck to lose your favorite items, and your custom items, and all that...For 1, we all knew it was going to be happen (This doesn't really lessen the blow any though), and for a while now Trevor has been talking about equipment wearing down (neither does this).

But...I've still yet to see a point where he's said that some merchants might even offer to immortalize your alterations...Of course if this were possible, it would probably be pricey, and have some kind of penalty to fit with what Trevor said about permanent gear being weaker in most cases at the cost of having no wear-down...Maybe something like -1 max quality, or -1 max damage.
Assassin: That's a good point...The creed is..."Stick them with the pointy end." - Ctrl+Alt+Del parody of Assassin's Creed.
---
TELEPATHY [close]:  Yaru Dex - "Great now you made Mickey cry. Thanks a lot, Seth."
---
Korell Ventril exclaims, "Choo ain no guard! Choo a crackhead!"
 Back to top »
Hokius

Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject:

I for one am against the idea of ultimately irreperable damage. I tend to get very sentimental about my weapons as well. However I understand the need to balance the game a bit by forcing us to spend money. I've been using the exact same weapons since I was level 1, and I'm now so far above that level I can't even remember what it was like. In any other RPG that simply would not happen. If the weapons can break but still look nice so I can hang them on my wall then I think I could deal with the whole thing in the name of making the game work better.

You can't take a girl to the Library! What? It's free? Well that's not so bad then...--David Scully as Sergeant Johnson, Halo 2 Outtake
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject:

from what i'm understanding, the weapon you use at level 20 won't be the same weapon you'll want to use at level 50, anyway. so really if you have anything altered the next tier or so you'll still probably want to swap it out.
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject:

Tao wrote:
Well I have been told to save the descriptions of our altered stuff so that when LIVE comes, we can eventually get it done again (if it meets the requirements of course). I know that we'll be losing our stuff when we go to LIVE but it would pain me to know that if I do get them recreated, that they're eventually be unusable to me. It'd be like losing them again.

I know this is hard to fathom from the perspective we have now, but in Live the system will be set up in such a way that you'll outgrow a lot of items, and while you could use it just because it has the cosmetics you want, you'd be shooting yourself in the foot in many ways.

soundless wrote:
doom and gloom aside, what is the [average?] shelf-life of a weapon planned to be?

To be determined, but I don't think people who regularly upgrade their gear to newer, better stuff need to be concerned about it. Their gear will certainly need some regular repairs, but I would assume that those who reasonably keep up with upgrading will move on to the newer and better before the old item wears out.

Hokius wrote:
I for one am against the idea of ultimately irreperable damage. I tend to get very sentimental about my weapons as well.

I think we have to put this into context. In the current incarnation of Haelrahv, it's common for someone to get a pretty decent weapon, invest their time and money into it, and basically hold onto and use that weapon for much of the life of their character. The intent is to give you more things to strive for, give crafters an ongoing role in society, and make finding valuable resources all that more significant because those resources become the next big thing for someone.

I think if you're going to look at it from a standpoint relative to the current game, you'd have to put it this way: Would I rather have my cool altered weapon forever even though I could have a weapon twice as powerful, also modified cosmetically to suit my style? Nostalgia is nice, but there's not much real incentive to hold onto the same weapon for tens and twenties of levels in the Live setup.

Hokius wrote:
I understand the need to balance the game a bit by forcing us to spend money.

Ah, no, no, no. The purpose isn't to make a money sink (although it will serve that purpose too.) This stuff is going to be made by players, using common and rare resources. The point is to give a role to Artisans and Technicians (crafting), and everyone else who collects resources via the many ways to do that. It's a very player-driven economy and system. We have a small population, so one of the ways to ensure everyone keeps a role and purpose is to give you a reason to often be in the market for a new piece of gear. Whether that's due to wear, or just because there's something better you could be using, it's all for that purpose.

Hokius wrote:
I've been using the exact same weapons since I was level 1, and I'm now so far above that level I can't even remember what it was like. In any other RPG that simply would not happen. If the weapons can break but still look nice so I can hang them on my wall then I think I could deal with the whole thing in the name of making the game work better.

Yep, in HR, it's common for someone to hold onto the same weapon for a LONG time. You just keep making that same weapon better and better. It's not very conducive to giving weapons crafters a role, but then we have scarce weapon crafting ability in HR currently anyway. In Live, player-created items will be the norm.

And I don't have any plans at this point to alter items cosmetically after they're worn down to the nub. It would be realistic and a fun programming exercise, but I think it would ultimately just add insult to injury for the players.

soundless wrote:
from what i'm understanding, the weapon you use at level 20 won't be the same weapon you'll want to use at level 50, anyway. so really if you have anything altered the next tier or so you'll still probably want to swap it out.

The goal is to build the system in such a way that if you're level 50 using a weapon you were using at level 20, you might as well have not trained your stats for those 30 levels to get a similar effect.

Back to top »
Wei Wao
Woah

Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject:

I personally think this system sounds cool. I think it adds another dynamic to hunting, which is always good in my books. However, after reading some of these posts that are concerned about the sentimental value of things and also about altered items, I'm curious about if there will be a cosmetic side to the player-crafted armor and weapons.

For example, will uber-weapon-crafter Yaru be able to make me a halxna pulse gun with electric blue accents or will he just be able to make me a pulse gun? I can't speak for anyone else, but I'd be a lot less upset about outgrowing or wearing out an altered item if I knew I could get something else that would equally express my character's individual style.

"That's not breakfast, that's a vendetta!"-Jimmy Shubert
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » "Live" Discussions » Equipment
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: