FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Children of Ilav threating Darju
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Role-playing & Socialization » Children of Ilav threating Darju
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZANQUINRAKEL

Post Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject:

I'll encourage them to come forward, but I'll understand if they don't. And I agree about language, but also I've seen people get attitude when you even ask what was said. It is not easy to learn other languages, with the exception of Alajsh. I try to point people in the right direction, though Varo is a punk (still tells me I can't learn another yet).

"You watched it, you can't UN-watch it!"
 Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:00 pm    Post subject:

soundless wrote:
the language barrier thing is going to always happen. not everyone should be expected to speak (or heck, know) common. overcoming that language barrier is an act of roleplay itself.

This.

I always love it when Acosae's just going off, speaking in Eolaish, and then people have a fit because they don't understand. A couple of people even seemed to get offended over it, which only made me laugh.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
Wei Wao
Woah

Post Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject:

soundless wrote:
ZANQUINRAKEL wrote:
On another note, there were some who felt shut out, as not everyone speaks Alteri or Darju, or ignored. This sort of thing really isn't very kind. For those who get all high and mighty about not wanting complaints, I would like to point out that if you insist everyone can be involved, then exlude even one person, you are being a hypocrit. For those who were mistreated, I hope you will be able to get involved and enjoy things. Sounds like things are just getting interesting.

i think the only person who was really speaking Darju in this so far was the mob boss, and only when he was particularly pissed off about things.

and can we stop saying "some"? personally, i want names. not to make their lives miserable or anything equally paranoid, but to do what can be done so they feel included and not left out in the event someone is talking another language. when someone would speak something one of my characters doesn't get, i ask "hey what did so and so just say" or i just let that small part pass before jumping back into the RP.

the language barrier thing is going to always happen. not everyone should be expected to speak (or heck, know) common. overcoming that language barrier is an act of roleplay itself.

Actually, both Lysenthir and Wei were speaking Darjuan in addition to Vralik. However, I think that language is a valuable part of roleplay and I was just trying to utilize that. I can assure everyone that the intention was -not- to shut anyone out. I personally had no idea who did or didn't speak Darjuan, except for Viyci (sorry if I butchered her name) who told Wei she didn't and asked Wei to translate, which she was more than happy to do. I found out after the fact that Holden also asked Cryten to translate for him.

It sucks that someone felt left out, but if they aren't even willing to take the step to say "hey, I don't understand what's going on, can you translate for me?" then I'm not sure the blame can be entirely placed on others. We're all responsible for our own RP and if someone is feeling left out, it's their responsibility to react accordingly. If that reaction is to get mad and leave or stay and try to remedy the problem, that's completely up to them.

"That's not breakfast, that's a vendetta!"-Jimmy Shubert
 Back to top »
Denavae
Lookit the flowers!

Post Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:56 am    Post subject:

Wei. I love you. That was well said.

BoonDock Saints wrote:
When I raise my flashing sword, and my hand takes hold on judgment, I will take vengeance upon mine enemies, and I will repay those who haze me. Oh, Lord, raise me to Thy right hand and count me among Thy saints.
 Back to top »
Morgana

Post Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:32 am    Post subject:

Bomb threat on the tent today... basically a bomb may or may not be planted at the refugee tent. Kyra was informed of the threat/no threat.
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject:

Denavae wrote:
Wei. I love you. That was well said.

Wei's great at accommodating others, btw.

that said, i know during the Alteri Disciple event, Yaru was talking Alterian to the Disciples and pretty much instantly saying anything of value they told him. Yes, he didn't say what EACH THING they said was, but that's because a lot of it was "Oh Yaru you so crazy" and "You know Yaru, you can Yeiyei are a lot alike!" as opposed to "HERE IS THE IMPORTANT MESSAGE."

while you may feel wei lys and mob master darju talking in secret darju-talk means that you're being kept out of the loop, it's also worthwhile to realize that the conversation probably went like this.
Code:
Lys says: "Hey you know about this cult stuff?"
Mob guy says: "Cult stuff?!"
Wei says: "Yeah cult stuff!"
Mob guy says: "Cult stuff is stupid! Darju don't do cult stuff!"
Lys says: "Well your mansion was used for cult stuff!"
Mob guy says: "Cult stuff? Really? Impossible!"
Wei says: "Let's show you!"
Lys says: "This way!"
Mob guy says: "Gosh! Cult stuff!"
Lys translates: "Mob guy didn't know about the cult stuff"
Non-Darju talker says: "I feel left out he said a lot more than that I'm sure!"

Milan Fiori

Post Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject:

There's been whispers insisting that the refugee tent is false, and is used to round up the Darju ad kill them.
 Back to top »
Tao

Post Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject:

I'm shocked the mob guy said "Gosh." Heh.
Denavae
Lookit the flowers!

Post Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject:

I think that was a hypothetical conversation.

Anyways ... does anyone have a log of that conversation? I died trying to figure out where the hell it was and missed it.

BoonDock Saints wrote:
When I raise my flashing sword, and my hand takes hold on judgment, I will take vengeance upon mine enemies, and I will repay those who haze me. Oh, Lord, raise me to Thy right hand and count me among Thy saints.
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject:

everyone has that issue with the mansion. heck, even the mob boss did.

since i don't think it's THAT spoiler-tastic. in the main room there is something like the GRAND STAIRCASE and a HIDDEN STAIRWAY.

make sure you go "hidden stair" or "second stair" to go in the non-Darju gentlemen direction.
ZANQUINRAKEL

Post Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject:

Since I wasn't at this meeting, I can't really say what may or may not have been said. I don't doubt that he denied any such criminal activity. Probably best I wasn't there. I usually start on the fingernails at that point.

Use your imagination.

"You watched it, you can't UN-watch it!"
 Back to top »
Denavae
Lookit the flowers!

Post Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject:

Anythin' new to post? Anyone? Anyone?

BoonDock Saints wrote:
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject:

Denavae wrote:
Anythin' new to post? Anyone? Anyone?

Kyra's pretty pissed because someone (possibly the Children of Ilav?) broke into the donation bin and stole a nice chunk of cash from it. Along with that, there were some threats to set fire to the tent. There was also a [silly I say] rumor that Kyra was the one who was going to set fire to it (which we all know is a lie because the scent of burnt backhair always lowers property values more than just a few homeless Darju waddling around).

The Darju aid tent now has some guards around it along with Dmulkeh himself standing guard at times (which is odd since he works for the mob boss the Children are after. HRRRRRRMMMMM Wink).
Wei Wao
Woah

Post Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject:

Vralik's ghost visited Wei while she was at Mellie's and he was in the mansion. He said that she was the only one who could clear his name. He then proceeded to try tell her what to do in a cryptic way but Wei was too drunk to follow so a very annoyed ghost ended up telling her outright to find Dmulkeh and have him take her to Tno. Wei is supposed to tell Tno that the Band of the Crimson Eye (no, not chiths. She checked and he almost booted her out of the mansion) is responsible for his death and that there the Children of Ilav do not actually exist.

Wei was really freaked out and then upon returning to CC, was visited by the Alteri girl's ghost. So after smoothing things over with the little girl (she told the girl to take a number), she went straight to bed without telling anyone the complete story of what happened. Mellie, Eldin, and Anifaust were there to hear one half of the conversation though, so find them or Wei if you're looking for an IC source to find out what went on.

"That's not breakfast, that's a vendetta!"-Jimmy Shubert
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject:

Crossing Over with Wei Wao: Today on Holoprojection TV, a subsidiary of Datastream Technologies.
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Role-playing & Socialization » Children of Ilav threating Darju
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: