FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
wine making (possibly spoilers?)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Crafting & Trades » wine making (possibly spoilers?)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:08 am    Post subject: wine making (possibly spoilers?)

yay new craft thing! so far i can only tell it uses ecology because that's as far as i got in the process (gathering berries for fermenting).

more to come as it does!

prices
press: $30,000
personal fermenter: $10,000
home fermenter: $100,000
vine knife: $1,000
testkit: $5,000
1500 units sugar: $1,000
30 units yeast: $1,000

step 1
GATHER vine/bush/etc
berries can be obtained in groups of 100

step 2
put berries in press
USE press
DRAIN presser into fermenter
it takes 500 units of berries to fill a personal fermenter. i'm going to assume the home ones hold notably more (5000 units since they're 10x the price?)
edit: home fermenter holds 1500

step 3
TEST!
while holding you testkit (and having your fermenter on the ground or in your home or whatever), TEST FERMENTER
you want your test result to be clear (?)
keep adding sugar until you have it clear.
i have no clue if adding too much sugar does bad things (tm)
once ready, add yeast.

wow am I sorry I missed that part of the instructions. never make wine while tired!

step 4
SEAL fermenter
ferment? takes a few days.

more to come in 3-6 days.

Last edited by soundless on Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:22 am; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject:

i edited the walk through, because i totally left out adding sugar and yeast. i guess my first batch is going to be stale juice.
Tao

Post Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject:

gather shrub
Using your vine knife you carefully gather 5 more units of shaeweio berries, you now have 99 units of shaeweio berries.
Roundtime: 15 sec.

gather shrub
Using your vine knife you carefully gather 5 more units of shaeweio berries, you now have 100 units of shaeweio berries.
Roundtime: 15 sec.

Now what happens to the extra 4? Does it get tossed? I could see why it cant be like foraging because you need to have a free hand.
Tao

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:25 am    Post subject:

It's 1500 units of berries for the home fermenter.
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:51 pm    Post subject:

gathering berries is also an awesome way to train at low levels

you won't get past inspired, but it's really reliable (and safe!) and if people don't want to gather berries themselves it's a great way to make some spare cash.
Tao

Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject:

Will there be or is there a wine buyer? Or even a vinegar buyer for those that botched their batch?
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject:

Tao wrote:
Will there be or is there a wine buyer? Or even a vinegar buyer for those that botched their batch?

it's a drink and can be sold anywhere drinks are sold (more bars should be set to buy drinks/food, but i know the sea biscuit diner buys food/drink).
HR-Randall

Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject:

Since it has already been started, I will just adopt this as the wine thread.

Wine is a work in progress, and no, vinegar cannot be bottled, yet.

Yaru is right - Food/Drink buyers will pay the highest for your wine - if, that is, you intend to sell it.

I am not giving away any spoilers personally here. but I will say, wine labels for customization are in the works as well as a few other things.

Know bugs: Wine racks for homes - I expect this to be fixed by the end of the week.

I encourage you to post suggestions on how to improve the system here. Although not all suggestions will be implemented, the good ones I will seriously consider putting in.

Last of all - Enjoy!

All the best,

Randall

- edit

The fermentation length is being tested and tweaked and will also have a random factor added in - for the current week, measuring out how long it takes to ferment would be a wasted endeavor as this is something I am still playing with

Last edited by HR-Randall on Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject:

HR-Randall wrote:

what happens when that particular fermenter is done though? do we have to either lose the batch or just keep it in there for now?

Quote:
Yaru is right - Food/Drink buyers will pay the highest for you wine - if, that is, you intend to sell it.

Score one for me! Very Happy

Quote:
I am not giving away any spoilers personally here. but I will say, wine labels for customization are in the works as well as a few other things.

i have no idea how it works once bottled, but can looking or appraising it (maybe with enough skill?) give us information on what the wine is actually comprised of?

Quote:
I encourage you to post suggestions on how to improve the system here. Although not all suggestions will be implemented, the good ones I will seriously consider putting in.

i know there are six possible wines to make, but why not seven? what happens if we mix all three berries? does it disregard the lowest amount and just make a combo of the other two?

can we also have a way to add back acidity? i was bored and actually reading up on winemaking, and from the [very little] i read, people sometimes add acidity and don't want to add sugar.
HR-Randall

Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject:

soundless wrote:
HR-Randall wrote:

what happens when that particular fermenter is done though? do we have to either lose the batch or just keep it in there for now?

Quote:
Yaru is right - Food/Drink buyers will pay the highest for you wine - if, that is, you intend to sell it.

Score one for me! Very Happy

Quote:

i have no idea how it works once bottled, but can looking or appraising it (maybe with enough skill?) give us information on what the wine is actually comprised of?

Quote:

i know there are six possible wines to make, but why not seven? what happens if we mix all three berries? does it disregard the lowest amount and just make a combo of the other two?

can we also have a way to add back acidity? i was bored and actually reading up on winemaking, and from the [very little] i read, people sometimes add acidity and don't want to add sugar.

For now the vinegar will be automatically tossed, you will know that you have created vinegar upon draining your first bottle out of the fermentor, at which point the fermentor will be emptied.

I will consider the appraise for wine bottles - perhaps factor in cooking skill with appraisal skill.

There are now 7 possible wines.

For now - We are assuming that all acidity needs to be eliminated - meaning that none of the berries have so much sugar that it needs to be toned down. In the future (addition of more berries and henceforth wines) acidity will be a target value for certain types in which you will have to stay within an acidity range for they type of wine you wish to make. Also planned are additives.

Last edited by HR-Randall on Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject:

HR-Randall wrote:
For now the vinegar will be automatically tossed, you will know that you have created vinegar upon draining your first bottle out of the fermentor, at which point the fermentor will be emptied.

aww. yaru will never be the salad king now!

Quote:
I will consider the appraise for wine bottles - perhaps factor in cooking skill with appraisal skill.

dang skills i don't have.

hey, maybe something down the road that lets us craft our own bottles. Very Happy

Quote:
There are now 7 possible wines.

awesome. thanks. Smile
Tao

Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject:

HR-Randall wrote:

Will cooking eventually be a factor in making better quality wine? (hopes for a NO)
HR-Randall

Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
For now - We are assuming that all acidity needs to be eliminated - meaning that none of the berries have so much sugar that it needs to be toned down. In the future (addition of more berries and henceforth wines) acidity will be a target value for certain types in which you will have to stay within an acidity range for they type of wine you wish to make. Also planned are additives.

For the additives portion, such as custom tailoring tastes beyond the standard wine types, possibly. This is not implemented or the specifics decided, but the framework is there. I do intend this system to be able to be used by anyone, not by only those who train cooking so nothing will be required persay. There will be bonuses here and there for having certain skills throughout the system, but A. Nothing so drastic that it's going to make a HUGE difference and B. Players who don't train cooking will not be penalized.
 Back to top »
Hubert

Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject:

Cooking might not be a required skill for making wine, but maybe cooking WITH wine could add some flavour (pun intended, sorry).

Pour some wine over your meat, then cook it, and if it doesn't burn to a crisp, the value will be higher (depending maybe on the quality wine used).

I quite fancy some asapi-au-vin

Hubert
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject:

Hubert wrote:
Cooking might not be a required skill for making wine, but maybe cooking WITH wine could add some flavour (pun intended, sorry).

Pour some wine over your meat, then cook it, and if it doesn't burn to a crisp, the value will be higher (depending maybe on the quality wine used).

I quite fancy some asapi-au-vin

that would be cool.
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Crafting & Trades » wine making (possibly spoilers?)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: