FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
wine making (possibly spoilers?)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Crafting & Trades » wine making (possibly spoilers?)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject:

yay for my neurotic need to always check wine when first going on yaru in the morning and night! Very Happy
Tao

Post Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject:

HR-Randall wrote:
Tao wrote:

HR-Randall wrote:
What I meant by variable fermenting times is:
Code:

>seal fermentor
How long would you like to seal your fermentor for?
(Minimum 4 Haelrahvian days, Maximum 9 Haelrahvian days)

The optimal fermenting time for each wine would stay as a set value (or at least a set value for each season), and not be random for each batch. I still might ditch the cooking with fermentation times altogether though and leave that in the realm of cooking with wine just for the simple fact that cooking is not trained by many.

Something like that wouldnt really be helpful for me because even tho I would set the seal for a certain amount of days and know when it would be ready, 95% of the time I would be too busy doing other things like hunting, foraging or mining. And by the time I get to bottling the wine, i'm sure it would have been sitting there a few days after the date set if I could set it.

It's a nice idea to have tho and i'd be all for it. Only if the fermenter drained and bottled the wine automatically after the fermenting days are done. Heh.

You know....I had not thought about the wine spoiling if not bottled within X days of fermenting being complete. Thanks for letting me know! Wink

If you're going to factor that in, then shouldnt you also factor the possibility that a wine can go bad while bottled?
indigone
Mild mannered thinker

Post Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject:

HR-Randall wrote:
I like the idea of aging in casks. I am not sure about selling them in casks, if we DID do it this way, the storage of casks would equal storage of bottles in units of wine. So no real bonus to quantity there. A bonus to quality and a little extra value perhaps. In addition to some altered tastes.

::gasp::

A respectable winemaker would NEVER want to sell their casks of wine! First of all, the wooden casks are expensive, reusable and season with the steeped wine as they age. Also, you'd never actually MOVE a cask of aging wine with all the dead yeast sludge at the bottom that would churn up and ruin the nose. Furthermore, bottling the wine is as much a part of the art as smooshing, mixing, and aging. Also, you'd never put a batch of merlots in a cask seasoned with cabernet.

Goodness me!
Wink
"Woke up late one Thursday, and I'm seeing stars as I'm rubbing my eyes. And I felt like there were two days missing, as I focused on the time. And I made my way to the kitchen, but I had to stop from the shock of what I found, a room full of all of my friends dancing round and round and round. And I thought hello new shoes, Bye-Bye blues!"

- Paolo Nutini
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject:

indigone wrote:
Goodness me!
Wink

Razz

yeah but then again i'm willing to skip a bit of realism just so i don't have to tote around my 130+ bottles of wine (and growing!).

i really like the idea of having all this wine age to see how good the price can get, but i'm also not going to just stop making wine, too.

fear the mobile brewery!

(i can't be the only one processing over 5,000 units of wine at any given time, right?)
HR-Randall

Post Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject:

Tao wrote:
HR-Randall wrote:
Tao wrote:

HR-Randall wrote:
What I meant by variable fermenting times is:
Code:

>seal fermentor
How long would you like to seal your fermentor for?
(Minimum 4 Haelrahvian days, Maximum 9 Haelrahvian days)

The optimal fermenting time for each wine would stay as a set value (or at least a set value for each season), and not be random for each batch. I still might ditch the cooking with fermentation times altogether though and leave that in the realm of cooking with wine just for the simple fact that cooking is not trained by many.

Something like that wouldnt really be helpful for me because even tho I would set the seal for a certain amount of days and know when it would be ready, 95% of the time I would be too busy doing other things like hunting, foraging or mining. And by the time I get to bottling the wine, i'm sure it would have been sitting there a few days after the date set if I could set it.

It's a nice idea to have tho and i'd be all for it. Only if the fermenter drained and bottled the wine automatically after the fermenting days are done. Heh.

You know....I had not thought about the wine spoiling if not bottled within X days of fermenting being complete. Thanks for letting me know! Wink

If you're going to factor that in, then shouldnt you also factor the possibility that a wine can go bad while bottled?

Not if the bottles are sealed
 Back to top »
HR-Randall

Post Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject:

soundless wrote:
indigone wrote:
Goodness me!
Wink

Razz

yeah but then again i'm willing to skip a bit of realism just so i don't have to tote around my 130+ bottles of wine (and growing!).

i really like the idea of having all this wine age to see how good the price can get, but i'm also not going to just stop making wine, too.

fear the mobile brewery!

(i can't be the only one processing over 5,000 units of wine at any given time, right?)

I am still more inclined to agree with indigone here. With casks for aging and enhancement, not as selling tools.
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject:

HR-Randall wrote:
I am still more inclined to agree with indigone here. With casks for aging and enhancement, not as selling tools.

how about giant-sized wine bottles that i see all those rappers waving around these days?

i really just want a way to not end up doing something Very Bad (tm) by having a gignormous number of wines on me.
tygerwulf
Teh Pink Assassin.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:44 am    Post subject:

Is there a limit to how much wine will increase in value? I'm starting to run out of room and kind of hope my first batch will reach it's max age (Or wondering if it's already at max age) soon so I can start cycling.

And no, you're not the only one making that much wine, Yaru.
HR-Randall

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject:

tygerwulf wrote:
Is there a limit to how much wine will increase in value? I'm starting to run out of room and kind of hope my first batch will reach it's max age (Or wondering if it's already at max age) soon so I can start cycling.

And no, you're not the only one making that much wine, Yaru.

A. Yes there is a limit

B. Even if you bottled a wine at the first possible second since wine was introduced....you would still not be close to that limit. Aging wine takes time, there will be rewards for aging the wine, immeadiately in value, but enhanced tastes will come with that age too as well as heightened value.
 Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject:

Couple of quick ideas before I head out for the movies (sneak preview of Zodiac!):

1. Once you start expanding the ingredients and whatnot, it'd be kind of fun if some were "rare". This can mean either it appears for one season and then dies. Or, it can mean the bush/shrub/vine to gather it from randomly generates only a handful of times during the day. The boon for this is that it'd increase the rarity/value of wines they're used in.

1a. The big problem with the latter option above is that people will most likely camp the ingredient's room and just snatch all of it before anyone else has a chance. So you'd have to put it in a room and set that room up like Thekko's or whoever's where you can only access it once a month. BOSS BUSHES!

2. It'd be pretty lol if shrubs/vines/bushes had a limited quantity. I mean, I've gathered over 10,000 individual berries in the past two or three days. Surprised

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
HR-Randall

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:55 pm    Post subject:

Brokyn wrote:
Couple of quick ideas before I head out for the movies (sneak preview of Zodiac!):

1. Once you start expanding the ingredients and whatnot, it'd be kind of fun if some were "rare". This can mean either it appears for one season and then dies. Or, it can mean the bush/shrub/vine to gather it from randomly generates only a handful of times during the day. The boon for this is that it'd increase the rarity/value of wines they're used in.

1a. The big problem with the latter option above is that people will most likely camp the ingredient's room and just snatch all of it before anyone else has a chance. So you'd have to put it in a room and set that room up like Thekko's or whoever's where you can only access it once a month. BOSS BUSHES!

Rare ingredients are planned, just not in the above manner, it will be a surprise.
Brokyn wrote:
2. It'd be pretty lol if shrubs/vines/bushes had a limited quantity. I mean, I've gathered over 10,000 individual berries in the past two or three days. Surprised

--William

Yes, this will happen also, actually should have happened a week ago, due to illness I have not had as much coding time to work on this.

When this happens
A. More Vineyards will open up.

B. Random small quantity gathers will be implemented.
 Back to top »
HR-Randall

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject:

Important Updates coming within the week (probably).

A. Portable fermentors will weigh more when full. They actually should have weighed more to begin with, something was overlooked.

B. A chance of pulling only a unit or two of berries on a gather.

C. More Vineyards will open. No, I am not telling you where until they open.

D. One of the discussed enhancements will be available.

Last edited by HR-Randall on Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:01 am; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
zamde
Maestro

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject:

Bug: Bottles of wine, at least the ones I've been given lately, seem to weigh next to nothing.

Dixie Pierce says, "I heard Zamde can't have kids cause she lactates poison."

[Telepathy] Yaru Dex projects: I thought Zamde doesn't have kids because her womb is full of aisobs.

You can't spell "slaughter" without 'laughter'.

Llanfair Anti-Cyber Brigade Member #0000
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject:

zamde wrote:
Bug: Bottles of wine, at least the ones I've been given lately, seem to weigh next to nothing.

most food stuffs are 1 ounce i think, but yeah wine bottles are 1 ounce as well, which is probably low for a whole bunch of foodstuffs.
HR-Randall

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:55 pm    Post subject:

soundless wrote:
zamde wrote:

most food stuffs are 1 ounce i think, but yeah wine bottles are 1 ounce as well, which is probably low for a whole bunch of foodstuffs.

Thanks you two Smile, this will be taken care of as well.
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Crafting & Trades » wine making (possibly spoilers?)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: