FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
wine making (possibly spoilers?)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Crafting & Trades » wine making (possibly spoilers?)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seth Ventril
Disenfranchised Shadow

Post Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject:

I'm pretty sure Randall said he didn't want to punish people for not training cooking.
Assassin: That's a good point...The creed is..."Stick them with the pointy end." - Ctrl+Alt+Del parody of Assassin's Creed.
---
TELEPATHY [close]:  Yaru Dex - "Great now you made Mickey cry. Thanks a lot, Seth."
---
Korell Ventril exclaims, "Choo ain no guard! Choo a crackhead!"
 Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject:

Well, you could still have the system as a whole open to people that didn't train cooking. But for those that have trained cooking, you could give them things like special recipes that do require cooking skill. Without being taught the recipe, your character just messes up somewhere in the process and ends up with either vinegar or some other horribly tasting liquid.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject:

cooking is planned to use for cooking with wines to enhance foods (and possibly their values?).
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:46 am    Post subject:

By the way, just to make sure, are we free to share wine recipes openly? Convention would have me believe we are, but I don't want to go and make a Hael Wiki page about this and then have to take it down. Confused

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
HR-Randall

Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject:

Brokyn wrote:
Any chance of getting the wine system expanded to deal with other alcohols? Beers, liquors, etc. I just want my cinnamon schnapps in-game! Mad

It's a possibility later on down the line, one I had thought of. What I want to do is finish the edits I have mentioned so far in the thread and expand and enhance winemaking itself before branching to any other form or alcohol. This includes adding spices and additives etc etc etc before beer or anything else is put in.

Brokyn wrote:
Also, it'd be kind of cool if cooking skill were involved somehow. Like it could effect the quality or something. I don't know, maybe it already is. I certainly don't know since I'm just now getting around to playing with the system.

--William

Cooking skill will definately be involved in cooking with wine, and possibly stopping you from adding any flavor enhancers that will decrease the value (when the additives go in).
For right now though I did not see a part of the process where one would have to be a great cook to make it.
The basic system, however, Does not require cooking skill. This was intended because:

A. The steps are simple enough for most people to follow.

B. I did not want to limit this to one specific profession or only those who trained "X" skill

One thing I decided that will be added over the weekend is variable fermenting times which could work both to an advantage or a disadvantage. An idea I have tossed around in the ol noggin here is with higher cooking skill it may suggest to you what area the "optimal" amount of time to fement is in. Feedback on this idea from everyone who wished to speak up would be appreciated.
 Back to top »
HR-Randall

Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject:

Brokyn wrote:
By the way, just to make sure, are we free to share wine recipes openly? Convention would have me believe we are, but I don't want to go and make a Hael Wiki page about this and then have to take it down. Confused

--William

Please feel free to share anything you discover.
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject:

HR-Randall wrote:
One thing I decided that will be added over the weekend is variable fermenting times which could work both to an advantage or a disadvantage. An idea I have tossed around in the ol noggin here is with higher cooking skill it may suggest to you what area the "optimal" amount of time to fement is in. Feedback on this idea from everyone who wished to speak up would be appreciated.

i'd be against it, because of one good reason (for me!)

1) i don't train cooking.

not that i wouldn't want to train cooking (need skill points!), but if a creation system won't earn me an amount of money that i like, i probably wouldn't use it beyond just the initial play-around, especially because there's a very weak player to player economy since forever (see: gem cutting. awesome system. love doing it. but since noone wants to really buy jewelry i don't have a reason to use it).

that said, it isn't like a creation class should be the master of everything, just like a combat class should be the master of each kind of weapon just due to being a combat class.
indigone
Mild mannered thinker

Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject:

One thing that I think would make a ton of sense to add to this is aging the wine in wooden casks for different flavor/value enhancements. (Wine lover in RL here). The woods are so beautifully thought out in Haelrahv, it seems a perfect way to add a new dimension to the system.

Wink
"Woke up late one Thursday, and I'm seeing stars as I'm rubbing my eyes. And I felt like there were two days missing, as I focused on the time. And I made my way to the kitchen, but I had to stop from the shock of what I found, a room full of all of my friends dancing round and round and round. And I thought hello new shoes, Bye-Bye blues!"

- Paolo Nutini
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject:

indigone wrote:
One thing that I think would make a ton of sense to add to this is aging the wine in wooden casks for different flavor/value enhancements. (Wine lover in RL here). The woods are so beautifully thought out in Haelrahv, it seems a perfect way to add a new dimension to the system.

Wink

i'd love to have wine by the cask available (make it hold 500 units of wine, as opposed to the 100 units per wine bottle?), especially because i want to keep holding the wine until it ages more, but i also keep making more and more (and more and more) while waiting.
HR-Randall

Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject:

soundless wrote:
indigone wrote:

Wink

i'd love to have wine by the cask available (make it hold 500 units of wine, as opposed to the 100 units per wine bottle?), especially because i want to keep holding the wine until it ages more, but i also keep making more and more (and more and more) while waiting.

I like the idea of aging in casks. I am not sure about selling them in casks, if we DID do it this way, the storage of casks would equal storage of bottles in units of wine. So no real bonus to quantity there. A bonus to quality and a little extra value perhaps. In addition to some altered tastes.
 Back to top »
HR-Randall

Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:40 pm    Post subject:

soundless wrote:
HR-Randall wrote:

i'd be against it, because of one good reason (for me!)

1) i don't train cooking.

not that i wouldn't want to train cooking (need skill points!), but if a creation system won't earn me an amount of money that i like, i probably wouldn't use it beyond just the initial play-around, especially because there's a very weak player to player economy since forever (see: gem cutting. awesome system. love doing it. but since noone wants to really buy jewelry i don't have a reason to use it).

that said, it isn't like a creation class should be the master of everything, just like a combat class should be the master of each kind of weapon just due to being a combat class.

I will hold true to my statement that no one will be punished for a lack of cooking for creation.

What I meant by variable fermenting times is:
Code:

>seal fermentor
How long would you like to seal your fermentor for?
(Minimum 4 Haelrahvian days, Maximum 9 Haelrahvian days)

The optimal fermenting time for each wine would stay as a set value (or at least a set value for each season), and not be random for each batch. I still might ditch the cooking with fermentation times altogether though and leave that in the realm of cooking with wine just for the simple fact that cooking is not trained by many.
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:03 am    Post subject:

ohhh... so a little more experimenting stuff involved. that sounds fun.

meanwhile, nothing will break now that (at least i'm) going to be waddling around with a buttload of wines waiting for them to age more while also making more and more (and more!).

i mean, i already have 130 wines on me and i'd rather not sell them until they "peak" a bit more. and since, for the time being, yaru's liking life on the alteri holy land, it isn't like i plan to stop (as that's the big/only thing to do there for the time being).

I LIKE MAKING WINE.
Seth Ventril
Disenfranchised Shadow

Post Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:37 am    Post subject:

The 8 year old vintner...

Hopefully Mickey will include child labor laws in justice.
Assassin: That's a good point...The creed is..."Stick them with the pointy end." - Ctrl+Alt+Del parody of Assassin's Creed.
---
TELEPATHY [close]:  Yaru Dex - "Great now you made Mickey cry. Thanks a lot, Seth."
---
Korell Ventril exclaims, "Choo ain no guard! Choo a crackhead!"
 Back to top »
Tao

Post Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject:

HR-Randall wrote:
Code:

>seal fermentor

The optimal fermenting time for each wine would stay as a set value (or at least a set value for each season), and not be random for each batch. I still might ditch the cooking with fermentation times altogether though and leave that in the realm of cooking with wine just for the simple fact that cooking is not trained by many.

Something like that wouldnt really be helpful for me because even tho I would set the seal for a certain amount of days and know when it would be ready, 95% of the time I would be too busy doing other things like hunting, foraging or mining. And by the time I get to bottling the wine, i'm sure it would have been sitting there a few days after the date set if I could set it.

It's a nice idea to have tho and i'd be all for it. Only if the fermenter drained and bottled the wine automatically after the fermenting days are done. Heh.

Last edited by Tao on Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
HR-Randall

Post Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject:

Tao wrote:

HR-Randall wrote:
Code:

>seal fermentor

Something like that wouldnt really be helpful for me because even tho I would set the seal for a certain amount of days and know when it would be ready, 95% of the time I would be too busy doing other things like hunting, foraging or mining. And by the time I get to bottling the wine, i'm sure it would have been sitting there a few days after the date set if I could set it.

It's a nice idea to have tho and i'd be all for it. Only if the fermenter drained and bottled the wine automatically after the fermenting days are done. Heh.

You know....I had not thought about the wine spoiling if not bottled within X days of fermenting being complete. Thanks for letting me know! Wink
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Crafting & Trades » wine making (possibly spoilers?)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: