FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
New People
Goto page 1, 2  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Player-Created Polls » New People
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How do you think newbies should be dealt with?
Helped and aided by the community as much as possible
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Left to the learn the game on their own, at their own pace
8%
 8%  [ 3 ]
A mixture of both
75%
 75%  [ 27 ]
Don't care
11%
 11%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 36

Seth Ventril
Disenfranchised Shadow

Post Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: New People

Personally, I think they should be left to their own devices.

When I first entered into the fine world of Haelrahv the only thing I was given was a bit of money and a link to Haidee's maps.

Now this should not come off as "I'm an elitist bastard who holds others to my standards and expects everyone to do everything as quick (Or not quick, depends on perspect I suppose) as I do"...But I don't think they should be coddled and shown every in and out. I remember teaching myself how to carve word. It sure as hell was frustrating with only a few hints here and there, but I remember feeling really accomplished when I finished my first figurine.
Assassin: That's a good point...The creed is..."Stick them with the pointy end." - Ctrl+Alt+Del parody of Assassin's Creed.
---
TELEPATHY [close]:  Yaru Dex - "Great now you made Mickey cry. Thanks a lot, Seth."
---
Korell Ventril exclaims, "Choo ain no guard! Choo a crackhead!"
 Back to top »
TheTrackerChick
Babe of Doom

Post Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject:

Some people get frustrated quicker than others, or are completely brand new to these kind of games. I've definitely heard of people abandoning playing because they were utterly lost with a text based game.

So I prefer both.
SoulTorn
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet

Post Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

When I first entered into the fine world of Haelrahv the only thing I was given was a bit of money and a link to Haidee's maps.

When I first entered the lovely Haelrahv I had...nothing. No money given. No pretty maps. I turned out fine.

Honestly, just teach the newb how to use DIR and how to train and send them on their way.

IMO

-Chris
ragonda
A fearful red dragon

Post Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject:

i think they should be able to ask for help and receive it but also be allowed to learn by themselves if they choose too...

dreg had previous experience of what was to be expected but she still chooses to ignore advice and do her own thing occasionally

while my two sons sought out help from older players and continued the lineage in buggin the hell out of people Twisted Evil
Haidee
Bow chicka bow wow

Post Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject:

SoulTorn wrote:
Quote:

When I first entered the lovely Haelrahv I had...nothing. No money given. No pretty maps. I turned out fine.

Yeah I didn't have maps either. So I made them.
Inside an intricately beaded twilight black suede corset with hot pink lacings you see a buttery nipple, a buttery nipple, a steaming pile of gamojab poop, a speckled red crab, a chocolate chip brownie, a map of Haelrahv, a huge blonde hair ball, a severed Haidee head, and your boobs.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Seth Ventril
Disenfranchised Shadow

Post Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject:

TheTrackerChick wrote:
Some people get frustrated quicker than others, or are completely brand new to these kind of games. I've definitely heard of people abandoning playing because they were utterly lost with a text based game.

Actually, Haelrahv was my first computer game period, aside from roleplaying on Yahoo!
Assassin: That's a good point...The creed is..."Stick them with the pointy end." - Ctrl+Alt+Del parody of Assassin's Creed.
---
TELEPATHY [close]:  Yaru Dex - "Great now you made Mickey cry. Thanks a lot, Seth."
---
Korell Ventril exclaims, "Choo ain no guard! Choo a crackhead!"
 Back to top »
Dzynna
Shadow Master

Post Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject:

I say a mixture of both. Maps, how to train, a few commands (like DIR and HELP)...all that's good.

I also don't have any problems -helping- someone obtain money...but I've seen people (whose names shall not be named) who seemed to believe it was their 'right' to have some of the big money-makers in Hael make money and just give it to them. I don't want anything to do with that...but that's a personal choice.

However, one thing that really irks me is when I hear people ask "where do I find X" or "can someone take me to X" when it's simply a matter of them being too damn lazy and impatient to go explore and find it themselves. The GMs put a lot of work into building us a beautiful world...take some time to go look around for crissakes.

Dzynna Zol
-------------------------------------
The Retreat
--------------------------------------
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tylen
Alpha Antifemale

Post Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:19 am    Post subject:

Dzynna wrote:
I've seen people (whose names shall not be named) who seemed to believe it was their 'right' to have some of the big money-makers in Hael make money and just give it to them.

Wow, it's like you read my mind.
** The phrase "break a leg" just wasn't ambitious enough for Mellie Knight. [8:31 pm]
** Mellie Knight was soundly defeated by Aesal Anari-Idia in the Zgedhi Gkenrzeg Rav! [8:31 pm]
 Back to top »
ragonda
A fearful red dragon

Post Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:46 am    Post subject:

dreg begs doesnt think its her right she just begs Twisted Evil

at the end of the day people need help they ask for it
dreg will help anyone who asks if she is in a position to help she does

some come in here play a few hours if that and then state afterwards oh all that foraging and i didnt level once then leave Twisted Evil

how can we help those kind of people?

if somone genuinely enjoys the game they will ask for help

i noticed mentioning no names there are a couple of people who constantly ask for help with one thing or another and the response they get is ..........

oh i dont like so and so....why cant they do it themselves...oh they whine all the time Twisted Evil

it should not be a question of should new poeple get more help but more of a question of who here is willing to offer their time and assistance to a new person Twisted Evil

i know dreg will do what she can when she can just ask Twisted Evil
HR-Faith
OCD Grammar Perfectionist

Post Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:21 am    Post subject:

I say kill 'em all. Evil or Very Mad

What??!!

I need more heads for my collection!

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." -- Bilbo Baggins --
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Hokius

Post Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:39 am    Post subject:

I think that the way I usually see things done works pretty well. When a new person shows up, get someone from their profession to wander over and tell them the basics of the profession, give them an idea of essentials to train, and show them where to hunt for the first few levels. That's actually more than I got. Not that I'm complaining, I seem to get around mostly fine now. If you give them any more than that you'll probably end up with players who are reliant on others to show them where to go and what to do at all times.

You can't take a girl to the Library! What? It's free? Well that's not so bad then...--David Scully as Sergeant Johnson, Halo 2 Outtake
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Drusilla

Post Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject:

I say if you want to hold the newbie's hand hold it, if not dont its really up to the person that decides to help, I was shown how to train then afterwards was expected to show my thanks with more than words. so I think I would have rather learned to train on my own.. thankfully not everyone expects a good time for teaching a newbie how to train.... the jerk only got a thank you and even more thankfully he is no longer in the land by the way
 Back to top »
Wei Wao
Woah

Post Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject:

Dzynna wrote:
However, one thing that really irks me is when I hear people ask "where do I find X" or "can someone take me to X" when it's simply a matter of them being too damn lazy and impatient to go explore and find it themselves. The GMs put a lot of work into building us a beautiful world...take some time to go look around for crissakes.

Oh my goodness. I couldn't agree more. That drives me nuts, especially when it's the same person and the same place over and over.... Rolling Eyes

"That's not breakfast, that's a vendetta!"-Jimmy Shubert
 Back to top »
dragonseyes

Post Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:47 pm    Post subject:

I dunno, I like exploring, ALOT, but I hate walking into an area only to die moments later. Just wish there was some kind of warning, don't enter unless you wish to die!! Shocked
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Morgana

Post Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:27 am    Post subject:

I use to think it was a great thing to do. Build up their character so they didn't look like fresh meat. But after awhile it seemed many just expected me to help. And when I didn't help the same person again they turned. And some turned on me for no reason I could tell, other then to basically say, "Nyah. I can take everything of yours and make you miserable at the same time."

So I'm for..."Here's maps, here's DIR. Forage stones and make some cash."
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Player-Created Polls » New People
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: