FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Combat Balance
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Combat & Hunting » Combat Balance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:14 am    Post subject: Combat Balance

I've been trying to avoid a major combat update, particularly so I could spend more time on Live, but we really need a balancing out of combat. I'm going to be breaking down combat numbers soon and will be modifying changes accordingly. Some of the changes I anticipate will likely be made are:

- Fixing the probably of hit hitting body areas with all attacks that can be aimed (basically any non magic / non psi).

- Adding some level of inaccuracy to attacks like headbutt so that it's a good attack but not the only attack people use. By inaccuracy I mean that sometimes you may connect but not strike the head, missing and hitting some other area.

- Magic spells probably need more power.

- Unarmed probably needs more power except attacks like headbutt, which will probably get more damaging power but not hit the head as much.

- Melee weapons, ranged etc will be examined.

- Psi definitely needs a tweak down, especially in the area of being able to layer multiple powers on a single target.

- The level mod needs some work. As it is now, if you used unarmed especially, but also melee weaps, you can spend forever killing something your level, and almost no time on something a few levels below you.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject:

guns are okay/good enough as-is?
SoulTorn
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet

Post Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject:

Quote:
- Fixing the probably of hit hitting body areas with all attacks that can be aimed (basically any non magic / non psi).

::raspberries Beau::

Quote:

- Adding some level of inaccuracy to attacks like headbutt so that it's a good attack but not the only attack people use. By inaccuracy I mean that sometimes you may connect but not strike the head, missing and hitting some other area.

That's good. Just...no headbutting feet again.(Unless it's a giant!)

Quote:
- Magic spells probably need more power.

Judging from my experiences, I'll have to partially disagree with that. Damned Blood Siphon. Sad

Quote:
- Unarmed probably needs more power except attacks like headbutt, which will probably get more damaging power but not hit the head as much.

Hmm. Sounds like I might need to start working on my Guardian again. Yay!

Quote:
- Melee weapons, ranged etc will be examined.

Oof. I don't envy you that task.

Quote:
- Psi definitely needs a tweak down, especially in the area of being able to layer multiple powers on a single target.

Really? Does that mean guns are really overpowered? Cuz that's all Glim ever uses for hunting(when I have him around) 296 Psionic Ability vs. 224 Pulse Weapons.

Quote:
- The level mod needs some work. As it is now, if you used unarmed especially, but also melee weaps, you can spend forever killing something your level, and almost no time on something a few levels below you.

Any chance of weighting skill more heavily, at least where Mercenaries are concerned? I know Anifaust(with his bonused weapon skills) has a lot more in his prefered weapons than Glim does in Pulse...but he couldn't hit the backside of an elite royal guard if it were mooning him. Razz

Kinda sucks your time's being taken from live...but I can't complain too much, in this case.

-Chris
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject:

Yaru: guns are okay/good enough as-is?
I'm examining ranged and melee. Ranged includes guns. Examining means up and downtweaks as the data analysis goes. Guns/archery are intended to be more powerful than unarmed and melee/thrown/etc but not overwhelmingly so.

Glim: That's good. Just...no headbutting feet again.
The intention will be to make it hit nothing lower than the abdomen, so head, neck, chest, abdomen, back, arms, hands, eyes.

Glim: Judging from my experiences, I'll have to partially disagree with that. Damned Blood Siphon.
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I mean elemental spells, not blood siphon.

Glim: Really? Does that mean guns are really overpowered? Cuz that's all Glim ever uses for hunting(when I have him around) 296 Psionic Ability vs. 224 Pulse Weapons.
The main issue for psi isn't damage per power (which will be examined) but the fact you can toss several powers on a single target and essentially do a bunch of attacks at once.

Glim: Any chance of weighting skill more heavily, at least where Mercenaries are concerned? I know Anifaust(with his bonused weapon skills) has a lot more in his prefered weapons than Glim does in Pulse...but he couldn't hit the backside of an elite royal guard if it were mooning him.
Anifaust isn't remotely close to the level of an elite royal guard and should have virtually no chance of hitting one as a result.

Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject:

Woops, I read that as melee/ranged attacks, and for whatever reason that parsed in my brain as you saying "since everything is always melee we're going to evaluate things." i thought it was the ranges themselves as opposed to the damage done at those ranges. ugh, who knows. brain hurt bad ow.

but that's another question: are things going to always be melee after these tweaks, or is that going back on?
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject:

That's a totally different issue, and the quick answer is I'm not sure. Since Marduk coded all the ES stuff (with exception of what Cyril did before him) and since he's no longer with us, I don't know how involved it is to modify or adapt the code to change. I haven't taken a peek at this point.

Back to top »
sebass
The Greatest

Post Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject:

Did ya ever take a look at elemental damage?
You say, "Two licks."
You take a bite of a chocolate lollipop.
That was the last of the chocolate lollipop.
You sigh.
Your tangerine gamojab nudges at you gently with a worried look in his eyes.
You say, "I'll never know how many licks it takes."
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject:

Yes to a degree, I still have psi and spells to balance out on my plate.

Back to top »
Hokius

Post Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject:

Does outnumber work for us too? So if we outnumber an enemy, do we get a bonus to hitting them and such?

You can't take a girl to the Library! What? It's free? Well that's not so bad then...--David Scully as Sergeant Johnson, Halo 2 Outtake
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject:

Hokius wrote:
Does outnumber work for us too? So if we outnumber an enemy, do we get a bonus to hitting them and such?

yep Smile
Apatheticloser
outcast

Post Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject:

Does a psy controled critter add to your outnumbering? because I haven't noticed it.
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject:

It counts as any other player or normal NPC does in a combat situation.

Back to top »
Apatheticloser
outcast

Post Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:37 am    Post subject:

Why is it not possible to have it in your group? It pisses me off when I use shockwave, and I knock my own critter down.
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Combat & Hunting » Combat Balance
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: