#1 Thing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » "Live" Discussions » #1 Thing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dzynna
Shadow Master

Post Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject:

HR-Trevor wrote:
Na, just a stranger question to field. Feel free to mention your #1 wish for your race.

A more fully fleshed out language.

Dzynna Zol
-------------------------------------
The Retreat
--------------------------------------
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Wei Wao
Woah

Post Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject:

As far as race....I have more of a concept than a way to practially apply it, but I would really like to see some way that Alteri can communicate through more than one level. I've always slightly struggled with how to roleplay such an interesting and useful ability as being able carry on several conversations at once. I suppose it could be something as simple as more telepathy "channels", but I'm only suggesting that out of lack of other ideas. Wink

"That's not breakfast, that's a vendetta!"-Jimmy Shubert
 Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject:

Eolai: basic markings available straight out of the character manager. Ability to gain more intricate/significant markings via relative quests.

For example...

Out of the CM:

"He has a mottling of midnight blue markings up and down his neck."
"She has a crest of elegant black markings running across her forehead."
"His eyes are ringed in swirling earthy-brown markings."

Professions (gained at some arbitrary level):

You gain the ability to buy a marking to indicate that you are or were a chief (politics; open to everyone that has or is holding a political position), an anatomist (medic, agent), artsy-fartsy (artisan, performer), or a warrior (combat classes, including agent). Agents will have to choose to be an anatomist or a warrior -- both are excellent covers for their covert deeds. Trackers would be given a more flashy marking since they're supposed to be guardians of all the Eolai hold dear.

And, of course, the element your character is born under would be available to be marked. I don't know if this should be randomly generated out of the CM or if they should be bought through a "rare" merchant like they are now.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:58 am    Post subject:

Wei Wao wrote:
As far as race....I have more of a concept than a way to practially apply it, but I would really like to see some way that Alteri can communicate through more than one level. I've always slightly struggled with how to roleplay such an interesting and useful ability as being able carry on several conversations at once. I suppose it could be something as simple as more telepathy "channels", but I'm only suggesting that out of lack of other ideas. Wink

do what i do. just hold as many conversations as possible. one on telepathy, one on the comm, one in person, heck, maybe two or three in person.

it's not hyperactive Adult ADD-it's roleplay!

that said, while i trust Trevor when he says Alteri Spidey Sense works, i'd love to someday 'know' when it's triggered. or at least when it's triggered for something big.
indigone
Mild mannered thinker

Post Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject:

Some of the verbs that can't be used, or have alternative scripts for Alteri's because of their lack of hair I find make us look funny. I love it that they are accurate and love the way Alteri's look, but .... I'd like to see the verbs scripted differently, possibly even flattering. I am not able to get in game right now, but here are some examples (they may be a little off, but I think I get them mostly right)

Quote:

>raise eye <person>
You have no eyebrows so you wrinkle your forehead at <person>.

Wrinkling your forehead and raising an eyebrow don't really have the same connotation. I'm sure we have a brow, just not hair on it. Can't it say, "You raise your brow at <person>" or something? I feel like one of those chinese dogs with too much skin when I wrinkle my forehead at people.

Quote:

>bat eye <person>
You can't bat your eyelashes, you don't have any eyelashes!

We have eyelids don't we? Can't we bat them? I actually paid alot of money to get a custom flutter.

Quote:

>brush hair
You run your hand over your scalp

This one isn't so bad... but it isn't great either. I don't really have a suggestion. Maybe someone else does?

I'll also second Wei's conversation suggestion and Yaru's innate sense of danger suggestion.

-Xil
"Woke up late one Thursday, and I'm seeing stars as I'm rubbing my eyes. And I felt like there were two days missing, as I focused on the time. And I made my way to the kitchen, but I had to stop from the shock of what I found, a room full of all of my friends dancing round and round and round. And I thought hello new shoes, Bye-Bye blues!"

- Paolo Nutini
 Back to top »
senseandviolets

Post Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject:

I very much agree with Xil here that I'd like some of the Alteri specific verbs tweaked. Especially the batting our eyes part.

Also, I would like for hair WORN flowers, to be able to be tucked behind our ears, or atleast into a headband if we are wearing one.

I know this is a one suggestion thing but I can't help myself so feel free not to read this last part:

It'd be neat to see some of the verbs like <kiss person cheek> tweaked so that the receiver, if above a certain relative height and standing is requested to lower themselves down somewhat to receive the smooch. I say 'neat' becuase I understand that it might be more trouble than it's worth to code, when it can just be done with careful RP.
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject:

i always found it odd that alteri can't scratch backs because they have no fingernails.

of course, now that yaru has fingernails (for one hand, at least), they're so sharp he can't scratch a back anyway Razz
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject:

I'm no Alteri afficianado or anything, but...

senseandviolets wrote:
Also, I would like for hair WORN flowers, to be able to be tucked behind our ears, or atleast into a headband if we are wearing one.

You kids ain't got much for ears.

Quote:
Wrinkling your forehead and raising an eyebrow don't really have the same connotation. I'm sure we have a brow, just not hair on it. Can't it say, "You raise your brow at <person>" or something?

It really just depends on how the Alteri evolved. When you arch your brow, you're just moving a muscle. And that muscle developed in humans most likely for the super perfundo squinting action it allows (it just also works in reverse, too). The Alteri eye looks pretty different than the other humanoids, so it's possible they have a more accute ability to adjust their pupil's size in different levels of light -- i.e., their "brow muscle" wasn't important anymore, so it wasn't being selected for during the evolutionary process. Also, the Alteri don't seem like they'd need to express themselves with body language all too much. They can shove their thoughts right into your BRAIN!

So, in a roundabout sort of way, the forehead wrinkling could be their attempt at mimicing the other humanoids. Only with some pretty hilarious results.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
senseandviolets

Post Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:51 am    Post subject:

@Soundless - Aw, I like the Alteri back-scratch verb. :]

@Brokyn - Umm... I see ears in that picture, don't you? It's hard to tell how much of a "flap" they have to stick stuff behind, which is why I added in the headband suggestion too. S'not a big deal, but would be nice to be able to wear those pretty-picables. No need to be condescending about it, "kiddo". Rolling Eyes

</offtopic>
Tao

Post Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject:

Brokyn wrote:
I'm no Alteri afficianado or anything, but...

senseandviolets wrote:

You kids ain't got much for ears.

Quote:
Wrinkling your forehead and raising an eyebrow don't really have the same connotation. I'm sure we have a brow, just not hair on it. Can't it say, "You raise your brow at <person>" or something?

It really just depends on how the Alteri evolved. When you arch your brow, you're just moving a muscle. And that muscle developed in humans most likely for the super perfundo squinting action it allows (it just also works in reverse, too). The Alteri eye looks pretty different than the other humanoids, so it's possible they have a more accute ability to adjust their pupil's size in different levels of light -- i.e., their "brow muscle" wasn't important anymore, so it wasn't being selected for during the evolutionary process. Also, the Alteri don't seem like they'd need to express themselves with body language all too much. They can shove their thoughts right into your BRAIN!

So, in a roundabout sort of way, the forehead wrinkling could be their attempt at mimicing the other humanoids. Only with some pretty hilarious results.

--William

I'm sure that even alteris are fascinated by what other races do and would want to try to do them also. It happens all the time everywhere. I've seen caucasians playing Mahhjong before. It was very shocking to me since it is an asian game. Even pets like dogs and cats would sometimes imitate what their owners would do.
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject:

alteri are too awesome to bother mimicing anyone else. if we did, we'd be lowering the bar of alteri awesome.
Twisted Evil
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject:

senseandviolets wrote:
@Brokyn - Umm... I see ears in that picture, don't you? It's hard to tell how much of a "flap" they have to stick stuff behind, which is why I added in the headband suggestion too. S'not a big deal, but would be nice to be able to wear those pretty-picables. No need to be condescending about it, "kiddo". Rolling Eyes

</offtopic>

I'm sorry if you thought I was being condescending; it wasn't my intent. I just trying to say that you guys (aka. kids, since that's the common slang around here at UGA that I couldn't help but pick up and later use on the internets) don't have a whole lot of ear real estate. In that picture, it just looks like a little hole -- similar to a human's ear canal -- minus the earlobe (whose only function is to amplify soundwaves; Alteri must have a more advanced whatnots down in there). Actually, it looks like they have a little vestigial earlobe "ridge" around their ear portal (lol@me), but that's neither here nor there.

--William

PS: the headband idea is good.

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject:

soundless wrote:
alteri are too awesome to bother mimicing anyone else. if we did, we'd be lowering the bar of alteri awesome.
Twisted Evil

Spoken like a true 8 year old.

Kidding. Wink

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
zamde
Maestro

Post Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:46 am    Post subject:

1. Less songs, more abilities.
2. An iron-fisted totalitarian economy with abysmal payouts, very few bonuses available on items, and a fully operational Titan City.

Dixie Pierce says, "I heard Zamde can't have kids cause she lactates poison."

[Telepathy] Yaru Dex projects: I thought Zamde doesn't have kids because her womb is full of aisobs.

You can't spell "slaughter" without 'laughter'.

Llanfair Anti-Cyber Brigade Member #0000
 Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject:

*An itemized list of everything that has and will be brought up in this thread.

OH SHI-

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » "Live" Discussions » #1 Thing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: