Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Combat
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Combat & Hunting » Combat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morgana

Post Posted: Thu May 11, 2006 12:01 am    Post subject: Combat

Okay, I can't take the whines, the pessimists, everyone who feels I'm a shoulder that's in sympathy with the Combat system (mainly I think it's the AIM). I don't hunt anymore and haven't in about 6 months. I've moved on and found something else to do that allows me to contribute to making things more fun. Wink

So now that my whining is over, I've question:

How hard is it to put the old combat system back in place until the new combat system can be unbroken, or fixed or whatever it is they gun-wielding people complain to me about? I don't know if the old one was tossed and it's a new system or it's combined. Just wondering if you've the old system in a backup tape storage or equivelent.

Also would anyone be for doing something like that (Players or a GMs)?

I know the GM's are extremely busy with Live. But it's an idea to keep those gun-loving-aiming type player base happy. And maybe keeping them perkier will help us get the funds to kill the blarghyblargblah lag.
HR-Faith
OCD Grammar Perfectionist

Post Posted: Thu May 11, 2006 1:24 am    Post subject:

To my knowledge, nothing was actually changed with AIM, the problem is caused solely by the lag. This is the same thing causing delay problems with any timed event such as invocations, spell preparations, etc.

http://www.haelrahv.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=4670&highlight=server

Once the new server is in place, that should be fixed.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." -- Bilbo Baggins --
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Morgana

Post Posted: Thu May 11, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject:

That post was in February. Combat things have been wonky since late summer early fall of 2005.
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Thu May 11, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject:

i'd love for aim to not be a requirement for now.
HR-Mickey
Cloverfield Monster

Post Posted: Thu May 11, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject:

Moved this thread to the combat folder.

And if aiming were removed from ranged combat, I think a fair additional change would/should be significantly higher roundtime on guns (both firearms and pulse)/bows to put them more in line with the less-accurate melee weapons.

To make a long story short, don't tell it.

I may be going nowhere, but I'm going nowhere fast.
---
Kelvin Watt says, "I stopped drinking coke when no longer drinking beer didn't make my gut disappear."
---
Kaelin Rae says, "Wait a minute..."
Kaelin Rae says, "You mean they have a COKE machine that dispenses beer."
Kaelin Rae nods to you.
Kaelin Rae says, "Greaser."
Kaelin Rae looks at you and sighs.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Thu May 11, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject:

HR-Mickey wrote:
Moved this thread to the combat folder.

And if aiming were removed from ranged combat, I think a fair additional change would/should be significantly higher roundtime on guns (both firearms and pulse)/bows to put them more in line with the less-accurate melee weapons.

i'm all for aiming if i was capable of doing so. right now (okay, last time i tried), it was impossible to get a "full aim" message.

i'd be glad with aim just using the same prep RT a spell uses (RT for action, then a waiting RT for use). that's working, right?
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 2:02 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Okay, I can't take the whines, the pessimists, everyone who feels I'm a shoulder that's in sympathy with the Combat system (mainly I think it's the AIM). I don't hunt anymore and haven't in about 6 months. I've moved on and found something else to do that allows me to contribute to making things more fun. Wink

I know it can be really frustrating. It's frustrating to me too, in fact.

Quote:
So now that my whining is over, I've question:

How hard is it to put the old combat system back in place until the new combat system can be unbroken, or fixed or whatever it is they gun-wielding people complain to me about? I don't know if the old one was tossed and it's a new system or it's combined. Just wondering if you've the old system in a backup tape storage or equivelent.

Also would anyone be for doing something like that (Players or a GMs)?

I assume you're talking about aiming and the fact it takes way longer to aim than it should? It's not that we broke the system by changing it, it's that timed events in HR are way lagged out because the server is overburdened. As a result all sorts of timed events (spell prep, aim times, npc actions, etc.) are all affected. The solution: the previously mentioned hardware upgrades.

Quote:
I know the GM's are extremely busy with Live. But it's an idea to keep those gun-loving-aiming type player base happy. And maybe keeping them perkier will help us get the funds to kill the blarghyblargblah lag.

In the case of the issue you are talking about here, it's totally -not- an issue of time, willingness, etc. It's money, flat out. We have plans to build three new systems once the money to pay for them is there. This is one of the unfortunate side effects of running a game on a low budget. This concern is what prompted the current "bring a friend" promotion.

I'm going to look into some combat adjustments in the meantime though, just to see what I can do as a temporary measure to relieve some of the problems to what degree is possible.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 2:57 am    Post subject:

HR-Trevor wrote:
It's money, flat out. We have plans to build three new systems once the money to pay for them is there. This is one of the unfortunate side effects of running a game on a low budget. This concern is what prompted the current "bring a friend" promotion.

think we can get one of those "where the funding is/needs to be" themometer-type things?
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 3:49 am    Post subject:

Yeah perhaps, but to toss out a figure off hand, I'd put us at about 40-50% right now.

Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 4:21 am    Post subject:

[05.12.06]
- As a temporary measure due to a lagged out AIM command, aiming is now
instantaneous. This will be reverted once server lag issues are resolved.

Back to top »
Hokius

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject:

Hey! That works really good! Thanks Trevor!

You can't take a girl to the Library! What? It's free? Well that's not so bad then...--David Scully as Sergeant Johnson, Halo 2 Outtake
 Back to top »
Morgana

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject:

Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

Excellent. Thanks for listening once again.
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Combat & Hunting » Combat
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: