FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Annoying Behaviors
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Role-playing & Socialization » Annoying Behaviors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HR-Beau
The Good Fairy

Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:13 am    Post subject: Annoying Behaviors

I saw this and thought I'd quote some pieces and then provide the full text via hyperlink for anyone interested. These are some common behaviors that oftentimes annoy other people in text-based role playing situations. Some of them may not directly apply to Haelrahv, but with even just a drop of imagination, 99% of them can be understood within the context of the game.

Quote:
The UltraPoser -- These are people who are idle for long time-periods (sometimes as much as 15 to 20 minutes) who then spout out six or seven lines of a giant pose that is filled with information that can't be used ICly (such as what they are thinking about or how they feel or what they remember).

Quote:
The UnderPoser -- These are people who refuse to get involved. They are called under-posers because when they do decide to say something, it's often pointlessly short and doesn't advance the event at all.

This would be characterized by NEVER using ACT to pose things, and using only standard verbs. The verbs are funny, but you know you've truly gotten the hang of always being in an RP mode when you start to type "act nods."

Quote:
The Donkey (Pick me, pick me!) -- These are the people who burst into a room where others are playing and demand that everyone stop and play the idea they have right now.

Quote:
The Magpie -- These are people who use room-page constantly chatting about anything and everything instead of using it to assist in the coordination of RP.

Think of the Magpie as someone who either whispers all the time about stuff not directly involved in an RP to someone involved in it, or someone who while RP is going on around them...is totally involved in something else.

Quote:
The Superlative -- You'll always recognize the Superlative. They are the best at everything. Any attempt to hit them with a sword is foiled. They can dodge any number of arrows, even if those arrows are shot at them from behind at night while they are sleeping chained to a tree.

Now I understand that stats/skills play an important part in how powerful characters are, but even the best characters have _flaws_ and _weaknesses_. And not all of them are as obscure as Superman's aversion to Kryptonite. Imperfections are what make characters the most endearing.

And for the full text: http://redwall.muck.limitless.org/Members/otter/annoying-behaviors

And as always, I encurage you to go out and RP to the best of your ability, and to RP often.
If there is one thing in the world that I know, love conquers all, it trancends time and space, defies all odds, and can bring you back from the darkness, it is the guiding light that helps bring you in from the rough stormy seas of life, and it remains even after you have gone.
~ Adam ~

www.angeluserratus.net
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:38 am    Post subject: Re: Annoying Behaviors

HR-Beau wrote:
This would be characterized by NEVER using ACT to pose things, and using only standard verbs. The verbs are funny, but you know you've truly gotten the hang of always being in an RP mode when you start to type "act nods."

the one thing i hate about ACT that i hope one of you GMs can fix someday is that if I do an ACT at someone in particular, they see their name and not "you".

the one thing that sometimes knocks me out of a RP setting is seeing "Bob smiles at Yaru Dex" instead of "Bob smiles at you."

it's no major issue but still something i'd love to see tweaked someday.
tygerwulf
Teh Pink Assassin.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject:

Another thing that would help is the 's. I can't even count the times I've wanted to put like, Tygerwulf Fyrestick's hand twitches. But I'd have to do something else and add the hand twitch or something.
HR-Mickey
Cloverfield Monster

Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject:

tygerwulf wrote:
Another thing that would help is the 's. I can't even count the times I've wanted to put like, Tygerwulf Fyrestick's hand twitches. But I'd have to do something else and add the hand twitch or something.

You've never used ACTS?

To make a long story short, don't tell it.

I may be going nowhere, but I'm going nowhere fast.
---
Kelvin Watt says, "I stopped drinking coke when no longer drinking beer didn't make my gut disappear."
---
Kaelin Rae says, "Wait a minute..."
Kaelin Rae says, "You mean they have a COKE machine that dispenses beer."
Kaelin Rae nods to you.
Kaelin Rae says, "Greaser."
Kaelin Rae looks at you and sighs.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject:

oh, cool. Smile in that other dark evil game it's ACT'S that adds an 's. didn't know ACTS does that.
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject:

We could probably rig up something so that ACT'S works like ACTS. We might also be able to modify ACT so it searches for players with a full matching name or first name and sends that person a "you" message, but you'd have to properly spell out the entire first or full name.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject:

HR-Trevor wrote:
but you'd have to properly spell out the entire first or full name.

i tend to do that anyway, so i'm all for it! Razz
tygerwulf
Teh Pink Assassin.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:25 am    Post subject:

I never even thought to do it without an apostophe. Embarassed
Hokius

Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject:

What's the difference between ACTS and ACT's?

You can't take a girl to the Library! What? It's free? Well that's not so bad then...--David Scully as Sergeant Johnson, Halo 2 Outtake
 Back to top »
HR-Beau
The Good Fairy

Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject:

ACTS adds an apostrophe after the player's name.

ACT hands are on fire. = Beau Etoile hands are on fire,

ACTS hands are on fire. = Beau Etoile's hands are on fire.
If there is one thing in the world that I know, love conquers all, it trancends time and space, defies all odds, and can bring you back from the darkness, it is the guiding light that helps bring you in from the rough stormy seas of life, and it remains even after you have gone.
~ Adam ~

www.angeluserratus.net
 Back to top »
Haidee
Bow chicka bow wow

Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject:

No differece between ACTS and ACT'S. Just different syntax for the same outcome.
Inside an intricately beaded twilight black suede corset with hot pink lacings you see a buttery nipple, a buttery nipple, a steaming pile of gamojab poop, a speckled red crab, a chocolate chip brownie, a map of Haelrahv, a huge blonde hair ball, a severed Haidee head, and your boobs.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Hokius

Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject:

Sweet! I'd been trying to figure out how to add that 's after my name for my act commands. Thanks!

You can't take a girl to the Library! What? It's free? Well that's not so bad then...--David Scully as Sergeant Johnson, Halo 2 Outtake
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Role-playing & Socialization » Annoying Behaviors
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: