Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Cloaked droids
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Technicians » Cloaked droids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kit
Cybertech Extraordinaire~

Post Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:00 pm    Post subject: Cloaked droids

Aside from the random OOC comments that always happen after announements...and aside from the fact I don't think I've put Beast in a cloak more than twice to see how long he stayed in it...I'll direct my questions and comments here.

Okay. So droids can be searched out through their electric fields now... Good. They should be. It'd be cooler if you needed a device or a spell to do it...but such is life. ^.^

Is it a tech's level the determines their searchabiliy? I would LOVE it to be something external....like hacking or something...but more indepth. I'd love to get parts and things to experiment with turning beast into a more custom droid.

Any thoughts? Or at least an answer to my question. ^.^

AIM: KitMurphyHR
Email: yojibalinese@hotmail.com
Technician Database: http://tech.haelrahv.net/
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kit

Post Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Cloaked droids

Okay...this is kinda lame. Someone with 40 perception shouldn't be able to search out a 100th level tech's droid.

... And a 5th level character can find Beast in cloak too. Heh.

Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:27 pm    Post subject:

If we were to liken their cloak to the Predator's, as per the random knarf over telepathy, then it wouldn't be hard for anyone to notice regardless of perception or level.

Anyway, I sure hope a Technician's level doesn't dictate the power of a droid's cloak. That'd essentially be modifying a character (well, an NPC) based on someone (PC) else's stats/skills. Aside from magic, psionics, and spellsongs.. which all take focus.. I don't see how you could justify even a "group cast" type of adjustment.

At bare minimum there should be different models that offer different bonuses and whatnot. Lower ended ones would be cheaper but wouldn't allow the cloak to last for more than a few seconds. Higher ended ones would be more expensive, but would allow for harder-to-detect cloaking as well as much longer durations.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
Kit

Post Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject:

Currently, everything about a droid is based on tech level. Including how long the cloak lasts. But hey...what's the point of having a cloak if any one at all can find em? Out of 10 attempts, the 5th level found Beast. That's not very random.

Back to top »
Apatheticloser
outcast

Post Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:20 am    Post subject:

Searching to find a drone/droid should be allowed.. but there should be a balance to it, not just searching pulls every droid/drone out of hiding.

Code:
PROCESSORS

a 100MHz LAVA processor
  $1,400

a 200MHz LAVA processor
  $2,500

a 400MHz LAVA processor
  $4,000

an 800 MHz LAVA processor
  $6,500

a 1 GHz LAVA processor
  $10,000

a 2 GHz LAVA processor
  $14,000

a 4 GHz LAVA processor
  $20,000

a 6 GHz LAVA processor
  $28,000

an 8 GHz LAVA processor
  $38,000

a 1 THz LAVA processor
  $50,000

I believe that the cloakings ability should be based off of (processor/Skill of Hack) vs (perception/electronics).
IE: for someone to find kits droid beast, who I'm sure has the 1THz LAVA processor, and Hacked as much as he can, should not be found by anyone with less then ~105 perception/~150electronics.
Yes it is fair to require electronics to see a electronic field, sense its required to have tracking to search outside of town, and streetwise to search in town.
and to make it so someone that doesn't want to train electronics to do this, create a technician made gadet thats similar to an IR-scanner in goggles that cause a small round time, but find the drone/droid reguardless of skill with percepetion/electronics.
Searching should not pull drones out of cloak. (searching after I tell my drone to cloak, should not make me pull my own drone out of hiding either)
To pull something out of cloak, you should need a technican made gadet that will interupt the electronic field causing the cloak.. and you need to be able to search its location out to use it.
because while droid combat doesn't exist right now, just a simple search to pull a droid fully out of cloak would make it pointless to even have the cloaking generater.

to recap:
searching should be skill based
skill can be skiped with special technician made gadets(or gadets that sell for about 25k~50k)
I should no longer pull my drone out of cloak when I search.
should need a device to end the droids cloaking field.

Please respond with something related, not just "technicians should die" because a drone/droid is pretty much a technicians only special ability.
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:25 am    Post subject:

i disagree with the electronics req. you don't need to understand how a machine works to find it. while it can't hurt, it's like saying i need to know animal lore to hunt gamojabs.

but i do agree that techs should be able to hack to improve the cloak.

there should also be a wider range of cloaking chips, too. not just one.
Apatheticloser
outcast

Post Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:46 am    Post subject:

soundless wrote:
i disagree with the electronics req. you don't need to understand how a machine works to find it.

not for finding the machine, for seeing the electronic field.. but I could go either way on this(I just favor the duel check, over just perception based, and I can't see streetwise, or tracking factoring in here), and I suggested goggles aswell, or even a chip for cyberwear, similar to the nightvision chip/goggles.
 Back to top »
Kit

Post Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:56 am    Post subject:

soundless wrote:
i disagree with the electronics req. you don't need to understand how a machine works to find it. while it can't hurt, it's like saying i need to know animal lore to hunt gamojabs.

but i do agree that techs should be able to hack to improve the cloak.

there should also be a wider range of cloaking chips, too. not just one.

You can hack a droid to inprove espionage. The only problem with THAT is that is still allows anyone to search it. I made a first level character up for the sake of testing...and yes...even a first level character finds and pulls a droid out of cloak each and every time.

Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 7:43 am    Post subject:

i strongly doubt that it's intentional for a first level guy to find a hacked droid that's cloaked.

i'm sure it's like a lot of other new features. they undershoot what would make it work best and raise it accordingly. that generally beats overshooting.

that said, i'm sure the MADs aren't really built to be sneaky, anyway. that's what the other ones are for. it might just be that a massive droid, cloaked or not, is going to be easy to spot.
Kit

Post Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:59 am    Post subject:

soundless wrote:
i strongly doubt that it's intentional for a first level guy to find a hacked droid that's cloaked.

i'm sure it's like a lot of other new features. they undershoot what would make it work best and raise it accordingly. that generally beats overshooting.

that said, i'm sure the MADs aren't really built to be sneaky, anyway. that's what the other ones are for. it might just be that a massive droid, cloaked or not, is going to be easy to spot.

I posted and bugged as soon as Mickey changed the droids...thought it was a Drake thing anyhow. I don't care so much because I never cloak Beast unless it's for RP....like spying on GMNPC types, And if the droid is electronically cloaked and staying still, unless you walk into it, there's no way you'd actually see it.

I wish droids could be fixed as quickly as they were nerfed so badly. I really don't feel that anyone below 50th level should be able to find Beast if I stash him in cloak....and even if he is found, it shouldn't be an automatic oust.

Besides, anyone in the area can see a droid go into cloak. It's not like an agent that can slip into hiding easily. And the length of time a cloak can stay on is very very brief. Less than a few minutes for me now. Only a few seconds when you first get a drone.

Back to top »
HR-Mickey
Cloverfield Monster

Post Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:44 am    Post subject:

Kit wrote:
I posted and bugged as soon as Mickey changed the droids...thought it was a Drake thing anyhow.

And if I had actually applied any changes specifically to droids, that would be a valid point; the changes I made were to SEARCH.

Quote:
I wish droids could be fixed as quickly as they were nerfed so badly. I really don't feel that anyone below 50th level should be able to find Beast if I stash him in cloak....and even if he is found, it shouldn't be an automatic oust.

That's understandable. But does this mean we're equally in agreement that using the locate function of the droid should rely on skill/tech checks as well? When you consider that players currently have no alternative for avoiding droids (short of hiding), to support anything else would be nothing short of blatantly hypocritical.

To make a long story short, don't tell it.

I may be going nowhere, but I'm going nowhere fast.
---
Kelvin Watt says, "I stopped drinking coke when no longer drinking beer didn't make my gut disappear."
---
Kaelin Rae says, "Wait a minute..."
Kaelin Rae says, "You mean they have a COKE machine that dispenses beer."
Kaelin Rae nods to you.
Kaelin Rae says, "Greaser."
Kaelin Rae looks at you and sighs.
 Back to top »
Josie
Everyone wants to be me!

Post Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:48 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I don't care so much because I never cloak Beast unless it's for RP....like spying on GMNPC types

totally off subject, but having a droid spy on GMNPC's isnt RP, its stalking. Just my own opinion.
You forcefully swing your fluffy pillow at Trevor Rage and hit him on the rear sending feathers flying everywhere!
Your swing knocked Trevor Rage down!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Back to top »
Apatheticloser
outcast

Post Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject:

HR-Mickey wrote:

That's understandable. But does this mean we're equally in agreement that using the locate function of the droid should rely on skill/tech checks as well? When you consider that players currently have no alternative for avoiding droids (short of hiding), to support anything else would be nothing short of blatantly hypocritical.

pardon.. Psysic sight can be avoided how? oh yea.. the same exact ways a droid can.
 Back to top »
Kit

Post Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject:

Josie wrote:
Quote:
I don't care so much because I never cloak Beast unless it's for RP....like spying on GMNPC types

totally off subject, but having a droid spy on GMNPC's isnt RP, its stalking. Just my own opinion.

No, it was part of an RP with Faith's two NPCs...who were interacting reguarding the drug trade...and it did have potential to be an awesome RP.

Back to top »
Kit

Post Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject:

HR-Mickey wrote:

When will you change it so it takes skill to discover a cloaked droid? And yes, droids can find no one in hiding. Also, it takes a bit of skill for a droid to find anyone at all. It takes at least to 20th level on the tech's part. And what about psionic locating spells? I can do THAT at 2nd level if I wanted.

See, it all balances out...or at least it use to. I'm not angry, but really, you went a tad too far with the whole thing. There's no reason anyone should be able to find Beast without some mad perception...I bought him the best of the best from the shops...almost a mil in stuff that's mostly just 'rp' and has no other value in anything else. And hiding, going into a house, are two very good ways of getting a droid off you. If you think a droid id stalking you, hide, stalk one room...and boom! No more droid.

In the end...

Yes, it needed tweaking. But there were already steps in place to get rid of a droid...very very easy ones...ones anyone could do. There are limitations on the GPS....even finding someone in Chodaku from Llanfair takes several minutes...and forget Jareya.

I could say some not nice stuff -- and I did -- but I took it out for a reason. It's a game. It's a fun game. Yeah, taking away from my beloved profession sucks. But that's okay. Techs are still the best profession out there and we have the best boss ever too. ^.^ So there!

Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Technicians » Cloaked droids
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: