FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Racism is Dead : Revived
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Role-playing & Socialization » Racism is Dead : Revived
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Haidee
Bow chicka bow wow

Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:10 pm    Post subject: Racism is Dead : Revived

So I started a thread in the Eolai folder a while ago, but frankly it's still very VERY applicable to now as it was then. Aaaand I really haven't seen a increase in racists either.

Here's my ideal: I don't even hope for a world where ALL Eolai have a superiorty complex. I'm not that idealist. I just want a HR where when I say racist crap over the thoughts or comms I don't get chewed out by 30 different people. I want a community that just sighs and thinks, "There goes the Eolai again." That's the least of my ideal...call me crazy.

So here's a repost of what the first thread said. Before you respond please no "Eolai r teh sux0rs!!1 we all know Darju r teh win" responses. Since this is in the RP section I'm hoping we can get a discussion about...*gasp* RP.

I'd like to have ideas on how to actually promote this idea and get it out to the general Eolai populace that this is how things are supposed to be.

Haidee wrote:
Okay, I don't know if most of you who created Eolais actually read about your race on the HR website, but I think the lack of racism we have is pitiful. You heard me! P-I-T-I-F-U-L!

I've taken it upon Haidee's shoulders to help racism come back into our community. As many people know and have complained about: Haidee is racist. Many people just think it's just towards Humans, but don't worry, she hates all you Alteri, Jaddans, and Darjus as well. But the sad thing is I think she's the only Eolai that I've seen be openly racist.

But it isn't hating as much as a superiority complex. What happened to that? Where did the superior feelings of the Eolai go? I mean, come on people...we are descended from gods. (Or at least that's what we think.) Speaking to the people behind the characters: Think. If you believed yourself to be directly descended from gods, wouldn't you think yourself superior to others? FAR superior? Not only are you part god, but you're GORGEOUS. Far more attractive then the prettiest of any other race, and that's the ugliest Eolai we're talking about.

Another thing I'd like to address: Eolai/Human (or any other race for that matter) relationships. I've seen a drastic increase of Eolai and Human couples. I can see a few rebellious Eolai, but the mix is sickly common. I mean, if Eolais consider the rest of the races somewhat like pets that they are supposed to take care of, wouldn't you consider it slightly disgusting if you suddenly started dating your dog? Or your neighbor's cat?

Come on Eolai! Rise up and put racism back into HR!!

Inside an intricately beaded twilight black suede corset with hot pink lacings you see a buttery nipple, a buttery nipple, a steaming pile of gamojab poop, a speckled red crab, a chocolate chip brownie, a map of Haelrahv, a huge blonde hair ball, a severed Haidee head, and your boobs.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
tygerwulf
Teh Pink Assassin.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject:

I had a plan recently with my character that would involve some of this, but then my computer crashed, with all my backgroud files, so I'm in the process of rewriting Tyger's backstory. Then possibly.
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:21 pm    Post subject:

Eoceoe is played as a german expressionist (except he's not, you know, german). making him hate everyone because they don't understand his art and thus they're idiots is basically how things were going, anyway.
Ashes2Ashes
The 'crat and the street-rat

Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:54 pm    Post subject:

I haven't been playing much lately, but on the whole Eolai superiority thing:

I see Anara (the younger one) as a typical Eolai. Basically everything you described.

Icelai on the other hand is not a typical Eolai. She's borderline obese and not exactly pretty (and had to grow up with a gorgeous kid sister, which even further annihilated her self confidence).

She's slightly nervous in a giggly, self-conscious way. She doesn't see herself as superior to anyone physically, not even other races, because she has poor self esteem. As for the whole 'descended from Gods' thing, she's doesn't even believe in Gods (another thing about her which is different).

So while you may want to be typical, not everyone else does.
-----
>read by case
The accused: Byt Me, a Darju, is accused of failure to appear.
>read mo case
The accused: Mo Tfoh, a Darju, is accused of unlawful sexual relations.
 Back to top »
Haidee
Bow chicka bow wow

Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:06 am    Post subject:

Quote:
So while you may want to be typical, not everyone else does.

But my point is that it's NOT typical yet, and I'd like to make it that way.

And to all of you: you don't know how warm and fuzzy it makes me feel when I see people have backgrounds to their characters and distinct personalities.

Yaru, I'm very impressed with all of your characters that you've made. You stand out as a great RPer in my book and I think a lot of people will agree with me. Unfortunately Haidee's not really had a chance to interact with Eoceoe yet.

I can't wait to see what Tyger's background is going to be. ^^

And as for Icelai, I honestly think that's awesome that you're RPing an ugly Eolai. I am all for people who go against the mold in the RIGHT way. *highfive*
Inside an intricately beaded twilight black suede corset with hot pink lacings you see a buttery nipple, a buttery nipple, a steaming pile of gamojab poop, a speckled red crab, a chocolate chip brownie, a map of Haelrahv, a huge blonde hair ball, a severed Haidee head, and your boobs.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:23 am    Post subject:

Haidee wrote:
Unfortunately Haidee's not really had a chance to interact with Eoceoe yet.

if it helps any he's Acosae's brother, as well. Very Happy
Enverdi
Strange and Exciting

Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject:

Acosae, who is extremely funny.
Haidee
Bow chicka bow wow

Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:20 pm    Post subject:

Well ya, I kind of figured as much. But Acosae /= Eoceoe.
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject:

Acosae Eshai = emo hipster
Eoceoe Eshai = dieter from sprokets and/or klaus nomi

Very Happy
tygerwulf
Teh Pink Assassin.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject:

I think I wrote up part of Tyger's history somewhere here on the boards a long time ago, but I'm gonna change a few of the things. I need to read some more of the books on the Ilafaelsh, but I'm lazy, so it'll prolly take a while.
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:37 pm    Post subject:

Yes, Acosae is so the coolest character ever created. That is all.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
Nkehu
bluntmaster supreme!

Post Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:27 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Here's my ideal: I don't even hope for a world where ALL Eolai have a superiorty complex. I'm not that idealist. I just want a HR where when I say racist crap over the thoughts or comms I don't get chewed out by 30 different people. I want a community that just sighs and thinks, "There goes the Eolai again." That's the least of my ideal...call me crazy.

i think its a little unrealistic ta think everyone is just goin ta take racist remarks in stride. if ya catch Nkehu on a talkative day (yes it does happen sometimes) she's gonna say somethin back if Haidee's touting Eolai superiority. Nkehu is very anti-god, so a whole race claimin they are gods themselves just doesnt sit well with her.
 Back to top »
Enverdi
Strange and Exciting

Post Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject:

In my opinion, it's not horribly inaccurate to assume that things have changed a bit. Eolais can walk around like snooty rich people all they want, but there is no reason an Eolai can't have...stopped thinking along those lines. Social evolution, that sort of thing.
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:21 pm    Post subject:

In any society, there is some level of traditionalism versus contemporary climate.

I had actually pondered this with the mage/psi city of Wargale, which is very traditional with a governing council of elders who generally have very orthodox views, but a sense of a new mage movement of younger mages who try to live a much more modern style. Sort of a neo-mage. I was pondering taking it as far as a literal underground movement, but I decided to keep Wargale intact as the traditional, pastoral sort of place it is. Still, I am sure this general concept of newer, younger mages going against the grain of traditionalism wil come up.

Likewise, I could also see some Eolai breaking tradition, either in how they treat other races, how they express views or interact other Eolai, and probably the greatest breach of all of traditionalism, by having romantic relationships with non-Eolai, which of course we have in the player base, as one would expect.

For those interested, this does give a good RP opportunity, whether you RP a grumpy traditional Eolai, an Eolai convert to new ways, or a non Eolai generally having fun in one way or another with the whole thing.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:36 pm    Post subject:

i find the bigger issue with RPing a racist is that people REALLY think you're racist.

while i'm hardly haidee (don't have the bewbs for it), i think what would be best is that at least Eolai recognize the fact that their culture generally sees everyone else as inferior. weather that particiular character acts with or against that is a whole other story.

i know when the eolai tattoo marking lady was here, yaru was asking her all sorts of questions that i'm sure came off as "this idiot wants to know about us." she took the time to reply and deal with him and so on, but i also caught that she did tend to just refer to him as 'non-eolai' and tended to answer eac question with a slight "i can't believe this moron is asking this" tone. now, is that racist? possibly, but it's a lot more secretive and less public than "wow yaru you're alteri you suck!" or whatever.

i think it would be cool if people recognized the situation, even if they don't actually agree (or even care) personally.
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Role-playing & Socialization » Racism is Dead : Revived
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: