FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
RP Awards
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Suggestions and Ideas » RP Awards
View previous topic :: View next topic  
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:15 pm    Post subject:

since RPAs are OOC, i don't see why an alteration session granted by them wouldn't be OOC as well (and thus involve a GM persona).

the way i see it would be this.

so and so has 5 (or whatever) RPAs and trades them in for a 'storyline alteration'. what this means is that the alteration exists to help further character development.

so, for example, if a lot of the rewards yaru had were based on him playing as a student from llanfair academy for boys, then the alteration would probably have to somehow involve that (as a good number of his alterations have).

Enverdi wrote:
You can trade RPA's to different characters? Why?

in theory/spirit, because sometimes a player might want to reward a player. i know for the yisi event i had to have collectively given like 8 RPAs to different people.

in reality, it's more "i need some exp fast trade plz" a good chunk of the time.
Enverdi
Strange and Exciting

Post Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:28 pm    Post subject:

I have one I haven't even used. I wouldn't give it to someone else though, and I wouldn't expect others to give me theirs. That's something I don't agree with, but Oh Well.
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject:

Enverdi wrote:
That's something I don't agree with, but Oh Well.

i like giving away RPAs because it helps encourage roleplay from player to player as opposed to just roleplay from player to GMNPC.

i also like throwing people off because so few know that they can give RPAs to others, so if they end up thinking a GMNPC gave them something, they're more likely to try to continute to follow the event.
Enverdi
Strange and Exciting

Post Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject:

In my opinion, it would mean more if we have a REWARD verb like BUG, REPORT, etc. We describe a situation where a character exhibited stellar roleplaying skills and the GMs give the award. Then we aren't handing them out, making them cheaper (which is how I feel that makes them) and it's still player involved.

For instance: REWARD Yisi did an amazing job today as she attempted to win the lottery but was informed that government officials weren't allowed to win. Her response was typical for one who was trying to bend the system in her favor...she knew the outcome but still accepted it without complaining when it came.
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject:

i would 100% love a REWARD thing, and i think i suggested something like it forever ago. Smile

i still don't think giving someone an RPA cheapens it, though. if anything it puts even more value on it. after all, not only am i giving someone a reward for what i felt was a job well done, but i'm doing so at the expense of my own character's advancement. i think it only becomes cheapened when it's done more like how reallocations went, where people would offer a good chunk of cash for them. that, to me, ruins them (just because you're treating an OOC object as an IG commodity, which is as far away from actual roleplay as you can get at times).
HR-Morrigan

Post Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
since RPAs are OOC, i don't see why an alteration session granted by them wouldn't be OOC as well (and thus involve a GM persona)

The point of receiving an RPA is to reward and encourage roleplay and I think it should be handled in an IC fashion. Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on that point.

Quote:
so, for example, if a lot of the rewards yaru had were based on him playing as a student from llanfair academy for boys, then the alteration would probably have to somehow involve that (as a good number of his alterations have).

As far as I know there isn't anything that tracks a reason for receiving an RPA, so that would be really hard to do, especially if more than one GM was handling it.

Morrigan Blackfury
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject:

HR-Morrigan wrote:
The point of receiving an RPA is to reward and encourage roleplay and I think it should be handled in an IC fashion. Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on that point.

honestly i don't think talking about gettign an RPA is IC in any fashion.

that also said, i'm all for someone being rewarded ICly just as I am with an OOC alteration session. it isn't like i've never helped out a GMNPC and got rewarded for it. Wink

Quote:
As far as I know there isn't anything that tracks a reason for receiving an RPA, so that would be really hard to do, especially if more than one GM was handling it.

true, but i said that with 0 knowledge of if/how things are recorded. for all i knew anytime a GM would give someone an RPA, there'd be a tiny note attached like "did a great job of playing the paniced 'crat during the invasion" or "found some severe bugs that we needed fixed." granted, i know the latter isn't really a roleplay award and more "thanks for helping," but i've gotten RPAs for helping find/fix things just like i've gotten them for being a hyper alien kid.
HR-Morrigan

Post Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:52 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
honestly i don't think talking about gettign an RPA is IC in any fashion.

Oh yeah, I'm not saying its ok to walk around shouting "I got an RPA" and that would be perfectly IC. I would just would rather see something like this be done through IC means is all.

Morrigan Blackfury
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:14 pm    Post subject:

HR-Morrigan wrote:
I would just would rather see something like this be done through IC means is all.

i'm all for those kinds of things, too (and i absolutely love doing them), but to me there's also always that odd awkward situation where you want an item made that you 'technically' had forever, and the only way i could (personally) see getting that done is through an OOC alteration session.

if the item is something (storyline wise) your mother gave you or something from dead relative or something from your home city, i would have an odd time trying to get that made just beacuse it would be a bit awkward to go "hey can you make the magical panties my mom gave me from forever ago" (or whatever).

a better example, say your character's background involves getting some massive scar that they got as a child from thekko. there's this whole background story painted of being born on echak decades ago (bear with me, i'm not basing this off actual echak history since it's a rough example), and one day the nowbi poured out of the volcano with thekko and mauled the village (only to later take it over and live where we see them now). you only escaped because thekko didn't think you would survive being thrown 50 yards and you have a massive scar from colliding with a tree.

to me, while the thekko-scar or whatever would be a good roleplay thing. i don't think that it would be something that you can ask a scarification alterer for, since then you'd imply that it was gone and you just want it back or whatever. granted, you can play with the limitations of the system and say it faded away and you just want a new one to remember, but i don't think players should have to toy with their storylines to get something done like that.

that said, i'm also all for events where, say, a horde of getok overpopulate echak and everyone has to slay the alpha getok. during the battle Mellie (or whoever) is cut badly, and then ends up with a huge gash on her cheek as a result. something like that would be equally cool.
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:42 pm    Post subject:

A couple of points:

1. RPA's give experience because it's usually a desired commodity, and it makes up a little for the experience players sometimes miss out on by choosing to RP instead of maximize their pool. Not that good roleplayers usually feel jilted or something in terms of xp, but levels are useful to everyone.

2. You can donate RPA's because some people just don't really use RPA's or would rather be able to use them for a purpose other than their own gain. For instance, some people use them to encourage RP in other players.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
Haidee
Bow chicka bow wow

Post Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:25 pm    Post subject:

I've never gotten a RPA for breaking stuff. And trust me...I've broken a LOT of crap in my day.
Inside an intricately beaded twilight black suede corset with hot pink lacings you see a buttery nipple, a buttery nipple, a steaming pile of gamojab poop, a speckled red crab, a chocolate chip brownie, a map of Haelrahv, a huge blonde hair ball, a severed Haidee head, and your boobs.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ragonda
A fearful red dragon

Post Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject:

i wont disclose wether i have rpa,s or not as i believe rpa's are something personal to the character .

i will however disclose that if i did own an rpa i would not use it to gain experience with prefering instead to either give it to someone who has rplayed their character or scene well or exchangable for gifts

it would be nice to have another option to either trade in rpa's for gifts or unique items or trade them with other chars for rplayed events .

with gifts i mean being able to go into a store and have the store owner lean across the counter and offer you a selection of under the counter items ..... example a small cup with the words congratulations on it .. that sort of thing nothing snazzy or highly priced but something that can be out on display in our homes thats shows people that our rp has been appreciated Twisted Evil
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:53 pm    Post subject:

ragonda wrote:
with gifts i mean being able to go into a store and have the store owner lean across the counter and offer you a selection of under the counter items

except that's totally anti-RP Razz why would an NPC know if you have RPAs? they're not tangible commodities ICly.
ragonda
A fearful red dragon

Post Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 8:04 am    Post subject:

Quote:
except that's totally anti-RP why would an NPC know if you have RPAs? they're not tangible commodities ICly.

they are gifts as in presents not items to be purchased

you walk in they recognise a good citizen example you have rpas they see the good nature of your character not the rpas

they offer you a gift Twisted Evil

once a gift from that store is accepted you cannot accept another gift from the same store . accounting for all the stores in haelrahv im sure no one will have more rpas than there are stores .

i am not sure how the gms would be able to keep a tally on how many gifts a person has recieved but if it could be done then when you say try to use a rpa for gaining exp but you have already accepted a gift then you should see the message your good work has been recognised .

that way we get a choice choose gifts or use it for exp
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 9:55 am    Post subject:

ragonda wrote:
you walk in they recognise a good citizen example you have rpas they see the good nature of your character not the rpas

that sounds more awesome for errands than for rpas, since someone can get a ton of rpas for being 100% evil. Wink
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Suggestions and Ideas » RP Awards
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: