FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
How bonused am I?
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Suggestions and Ideas » How bonused am I?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject: How bonused am I?

Ok, so, this has come up in a couple of threads lately. A lot of people seem to like the idea of having a command to show them, in general, what bonuses are in effect on their character(s) at any given time. This would be a great time saver.

I know Trevor posted -- albeit over a year ago -- about this being made available when the new skill system was put into place. Because, you know, eventually we're going to be losing the bonus sections in the SKILLS and INFO commands. But since this was posted a year ago, I wanted to make sure this was still the plan. If not, I'm suggesting it be rethought about.

And since I'm making that suggestion, I'll even go so far as to offer an example. Because examples rock, and it's a good way to make my post appear to have substance and depth.

Code:
>BONUS
Currently, you have the following effects on your person:
     Skills:
          Ecology is greatly increased (song, item).
          Animal Handling is increased (song, item).
          Psionic Ability is somewhat decreased (item).
          Spell Casting is noticably decreased (item).
     Statistics:
          Perception is noticably increased (item, potion).
          Charisma is greatly decreased (item).
     Misc:
          You are feeling somewhat lucky (song).
          You feel more physically resistant (song, spell).
          You feel greatly less supernaturally resistant (item).

So, as you can see, there would be wording to describe (within a range) the amount of the bonus/penalty we have. Essentially what SENSE OBJECT would give you; I just couldn't think of the exact phrases it uses. I would also prefer to see a notation for what exactly is giving the bonus/penalty -- item, song, spell, psi, potion, room -- just in case you somehow forget that you took that sip of charisma potion.

If this can't be done anytime soon, that's fine. As long as it's in Live. Very Happy

--William

[Edit:] Feel free to offer reasons for why you would be against this type of command. No flames or subtle jabby comments. We can be civil about this, especially since a lot of people are expressing their desire for this.

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
Apatheticloser
outcast

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject:

I'd agree with something like that, but it would haveta be in another psionic spell I think. Sense bonus? with a pre req to sense object.
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject:

Apatheticloser wrote:
I'd agree with something like that, but it would haveta be in another psionic spell I think. Sense bonus? with a pre req to sense object.

spells/psionics don't have prereqs in the new spell system. other than that i'm not against having a 'return to the vagabond' quest or a whole new quest not related to the previous one.

i never got why i can detect if an item is magical but not if i am, though. it would be cool if sense object just let me check myself if a whole new ability wasn't warranted.
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:50 pm    Post subject:

So, just using SENSE by itself would give you something like what I offered? That'd be kind of nice, too, and (even though I have no coding knowledge at all) seems like it'd be easier to work in.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject:

Brokyn wrote:
So, just using SENSE by itself would give you something like what I offered? That'd be kind of nice, too, and (even though I have no coding knowledge at all) seems like it'd be easier to work in.

--William

from the magic list that trevor gave forever ago...

number: PS014
name: Sense Magic
who can use: All
Ability: Sense the existence of magic in objects and creatures.

i'll assume that along with creatures, players can be sensed too.
Apatheticloser
outcast

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject:

Or how about if it was a quest, and it just didnt tell you what it was giving you that bonus, like his code did?
 Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
from the magic list that trevor gave forever ago...

number: PS014
name: Sense Magic
who can use: All

i'll assume that along with creatures, players can be sensed too.

Ah, I'd forgotten about that. Good job, forum-fuz.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
Apatheticloser
outcast

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject:

The magic isnt inside you though, its effecting you.. so I dont think senseing yourself could go past potions (or race and profession bonus, if those are going to be listed)
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject:

Apatheticloser wrote:
The magic isnt inside you though, its effecting you.

that's a very good way to put it but there's no actual document on magic that i think you read to actually support that claim. it can go either way depending on what the GMs would want.
Apatheticloser
outcast

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:45 pm    Post subject:

soundless wrote:
Apatheticloser wrote:
The magic isnt inside you though, its effecting you.

that's a very good way to put it but there's no actual document on magic that i think you read to actually support that claim. it can go either way depending on what the GMs would want.

true, as far as I know.. but I wouldnt expect the magic in my ring, to then be coming from me when I sense myself.

Quote:

So I'd still be in favor of a new quest ability over making sense object more useful.. but either way would work.
 Back to top »
HR-Faith
OCD Grammar Perfectionist

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:01 pm    Post subject:

NOTE: This is, in no way, an approval or disapproval. This is simply an observation.

Because most bonus systems (potions, magic, meditations, etc.) are completely separate. Meaning not only are they named differently, but they are coded differently AND have different GMs 'in charge', it would be a royal pain to make such a global system and maintain it whenever something was added to or subtracted from those individual systems.

So far, the only Medic-only system that offers a 'bonus' of any kind (massage) has a way for the Medic to tell how much longer it will last. I might be willing to add a line to HEALTH about it, but that's probably it. I can't speak for any of the other systems or GMs.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." -- Bilbo Baggins --
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Enverdi
Strange and Exciting

Post Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:57 am    Post subject:

HR-Faith wrote:
Because most bonus systems (potions, magic, meditations, etc.) are completely separate. Meaning not only are they named differently, but they are coded differently AND have different GMs 'in charge', it would be a royal pain to make such a global system and maintain it whenever something was added to or subtracted from those individual systems.

Is this a situation that will continue into Live?
HR-Faith
OCD Grammar Perfectionist

Post Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:03 am    Post subject:

Enverdi wrote:
HR-Faith wrote:

Is this a situation that will continue into Live?

I'm not 100% certain, it's been far too long since I worked any in Live, but I'll venture a guess and say most likely.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." -- Bilbo Baggins --
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Suggestions and Ideas » How bonused am I?
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: