FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Others being able to take care of pets?
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Suggestions and Ideas » Others being able to take care of pets?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rcurtis2241

Post Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:51 pm    Post subject: Others being able to take care of pets?

I was wondering if there could be a command that would allow others to feed starving pets.I thought it was the older now Im seeing its the new ones.Its beyond the point of ridicoulous when people can buy new pets when they starve their other pets to death.I know there is nothing that can be done about that but please put in place something where others can feed a starving animal or put them having to pay a huge fine when their pet starves for so many hours/days.Even a command would work and I know people who would feed or care for the pet simply because we dont like to see it.
-Muthy and his growing animal farm
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:01 pm    Post subject:

i want to point out that animals often starve because players drain overnight.

i know when i check on yaru in the morning, his two pets are both starving.

now, i have the choice of leaving for work and letting him continue to drain or taking time to feed imaginary pets, making me rush to work.

imagine which i'm often picking. Wink

that isn't to say i'm not for people feeding pets nomatter who owns them, just that it isn't like some people are just mean or lazy or whatever.
Tylen
Alpha Antifemale

Post Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:12 pm    Post subject:

Sure, this can go in when they add the option to kill pets.
** The phrase "break a leg" just wasn't ambitious enough for Mellie Knight. [8:31 pm]
** Mellie Knight was soundly defeated by Aesal Anari-Idia in the Zgedhi Gkenrzeg Rav! [8:31 pm]
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject:

Tylen wrote:
Sure, this can go in when they add the option to kill pets.

and the option to destroy equipment, which will never happen since it doesn't serve a purpose other than griefing other players.
zamde
Maestro

Post Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:18 am    Post subject:

1. To reiterate what I said in game, if I'm the one that shelled out half a million credits for something, I'm going to do whatever I damned well please with it.

2. If this were real life, I might concede your point; but your heart is bleeding over something that, in its base form, is just a representation through source code and descriptions. Getting upset is equivalent to PETA storming the homes of people that neglect their Tamagachis. We're talking about something that, at present, aren't essentially anything more than needy message events.

Quote:
Its beyond the point of ridicoulous when people can buy new pets when they starve their other pets to death

Isn't that a bit contrived? I haven't heard of a single case of pets dying in HR.

Dixie Pierce says, "I heard Zamde can't have kids cause she lactates poison."

[Telepathy] Yaru Dex projects: I thought Zamde doesn't have kids because her womb is full of aisobs.

You can't spell "slaughter" without 'laughter'.

Llanfair Anti-Cyber Brigade Member #0000
 Back to top »
Rcurtis2241

Post Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject:

My point exactly in this game they are equivilant to pets.They whimper and when you look at them they say starved.If they dont want to get that point across hide it from the rest of us so we dont have to watch the foolishness it does not take 5 minutes to feed a pet.And really if you went into a petstore and they had seen you neglecting a pet they wouldnt let you buy another.The reason the cost is so expensive is so not everyone can have one.As far as draining there are lots of places in the game you can go where other people arent such as locker.Furthermore I do not see the harm in letting someone else feed your pet if you cant or dont have the time.It does not take your pet from you in anyway just makes it to where they dont starve to death.
-Muthy and his growing animal farm
 Back to top »
zamde
Maestro

Post Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject:

Quote:
They whimper and when you look at them they say starved... hide it from the rest of us so we dont have to watch the foolishness... where other people arent such as locker

This is where I point out that, in the time it took you to make your last post, you could have added several squelches if it's just the messaging that gets on your nerves. It's not your place to dictate who can hang out where, or for what reason solely for the sake of compliance with what's convenient to you. Nobody's bitching to make your unrealistically pregnant wife go sit in the vault until the completion of her term, are they? Ain't free will great?

Quote:
And really if you went into a petstore and they had seen you neglecting a pet they wouldnt let you buy another.

If I really had a bird of prey, I'd not only expect it to be able to fend for itself, I'd also expect it to beat the hell out of stuff when I wanted it to. I'm not sure about any you've bought, but mine don't do that.

Quote:
makes it to where they dont starve to death.

Dude -- Pets. Don't. Die. You can stop tacking "to death" on the end, because it's not even close to what happens when pets starve.

Death = Expiration. Fin'. The final exit. Kaput.
Starving = Annoying message every minute and a half, be it from the animal or someone complaining about it on the comms.

[Telepathy] Yaru Dex projects: I thought Zamde doesn't have kids because her womb is full of aisobs.

Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:46 pm    Post subject:

i look at it this way.

it isn't poor roleplay to neglect a pet. BUT i also think some compromises need to be made.

right now pets get hungry fast if someone stays in game often. i think they get hungry after four hours. because i drain at 2 points a minute, i see no reason to really progress in haelrahv anymore EXCEPT by always remaining in game. so naturally my pets are going to end up starving during this time.

i think the players who want to roleplay as people upset that pets are being abused need to acknowledge that sometimes pets are hungry because players just aren't playing at the time. if someone is in game, currently active, and ignoring their pet, then sure, tear into them. but don't go after the people who aren't even in game at the moment.

along with that, i think it makes perfect sense for anyone to feed pets, especially if they are starving. i also think that if someone becomes, roleplay wise, notorious for not taking care of thier pet(s), then they should be banned for all legal pet stores (but i doubt if you find a pet getok on the black market, the seller is going to care if you're going to love it or eat it). "it's my money and my right to use it however" is a valid roleplay choice, but i see no reason why someone with that attitude shouldn't also except some form of in-game repercussions.

as for squelching things that your character finds annoying, i see that as more of an OOC tool to squelch things you the player find annoying. if a character finds something annoying, then i see no reason why i should have to OOCly prevent it from being seen. but, i also know that some players aren't roleplaying being upset at starving pets, they are personally offended because an imaginary animal is starving.

both sides need to roleplay a bit more as well as compromise.
zamde
Maestro

Post Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject:

Truth be told, I boarded my animals almost immediately when the option became available because 1) I got tired of listening to people complain about hungry animals and 2) I got tired of tracking them down. Do I still feel it's every other player's choice to do as they see fit with their personal possessions? Certainly.

However, keep this in mind --

I'm a big fan of investing as much in an aspect of a game as I ultimately get out of it. To wit, I've no admitted inclination to spend half my character's day doting on a pooping, gnawing message engine when I have (much) higher priorities. Getting to see my name in the top Animal Handling list doesn't even cross my mind. And I'm not even going to entertain suggestions to surrender the animals because, while the result is appealing, I don't get my money back. In the meantime, I just occasionally throw food at a low-priority item because a minimal return is better than a lost venture.

On the other hand, if I had a chovn that could ultimately be trained to pluck some sucker's eye from his head and subsequently shit in the empty socket, that's worth feeding meat to on demand. That even deserves its own velvet pillow and private roost.

Character RP isn't even an issue here for me; if Zamde can't be moved above disdain for 'evolved' life, a batch of needy animals don't even get the luxury of appearing on her radar.

Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject:

that's understandable. i really do hope pets do more in time.
SoulTorn
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet

Post Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject:

Perhaps a Flea(bag) Market?

People who have grown weary of their pets turn them in to this market, and others may buy the pet. Market takes a small cut of the price, the rest goes to the old owner. Or something along those lines.

-Chris
Rcurtis2241

Post Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject:

I am keeping this totally in Rp.I know they are not real.I do not see the harm in letting other feed your pet.I carry food around for mine.I just think that others being able to feed your pets doesnt harm anyone and the pets in the game would be much happier.If anyone could point out how this could be harmful to anyone else feel free.
-Muthy and his growning animal farm
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:46 pm    Post subject:

Rcurtis2241 wrote:
and the pets in the game would be much happier.

i know you mean well but that statement is pretty funny. Razz
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Suggestions and Ideas » Others being able to take care of pets?
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: