FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Stupidity In The News
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Out of Character Discussions » Stupidity In The News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tylen
Alpha Antifemale

Post Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject:

They forgot to mention how much weight they'll save by having people go before they go.

Quote:
BEIJING, Nov 30 (Reuters) - A Chinese airline has calculated that it takes a litre of fuel to flush the toilet at 30,000 feet and is urging passengers to go to the bathroom before they board.

As Chinese airlines come under increasing pressure to cut fuel expenditures, China Southern's latest strategy is to encourage passengers "to spend their pennies before boarding the aircraft", Xinhua news agency reported on Thursday.

"The energy used in one flush is enough for an economical car to run at least 10 kilometres," Captain Liu Zhiyuan, who flies regularly between Hangzhou and Beijing, was quoted as saying.

Citing a survey by the company's logistics department, Liu said carrying one kilogram of items such as blankets and pillows by air for one hour uses 0.2 kg of fuel.

"This means the blankets and pillows on board the aircraft eat up 60 tonnes of fuel every day. If each seat is loaded with three 450-gram magazines, another 60 tonnes will be consumed," Liu explained.

Another cost-saving technique will keep 47 million yuan ($6 million) a year in the airline's coffers, Xinhua said.

"The company has asked logistics staff to fill the water tank only 60 percent full." In the first half of the year, the "aggregated loss" of Chinese airlines was estimated at around 3 billion yuan, Xinhua said. ($1=7.835 Yuan)

** The phrase "break a leg" just wasn't ambitious enough for Mellie Knight. [8:31 pm]
** Mellie Knight was soundly defeated by Aesal Anari-Idia in the Zgedhi Gkenrzeg Rav! [8:31 pm]
 Back to top »
Tylen
Alpha Antifemale

Post Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
911 call led cops to victim of gator
Amy L. Edwards
Sentinel Staff Writer

December 1, 2006

Carlos Mayid couldn't see Adrian Apgar being attacked by an alligator early Wednesday, but he could hear him.

With his cell phone in hand and a sheriff's operator on the line, a calm Mayid left his home near Lake Parker and walked down his street in the pre-dawn darkness toward the screams of a man who was fighting for his life in the water.

In the recording of a dramatic 911 call released Thursday, Mayid is heard breathing heavily and walking through wet grass as Apgar's repeated cries grow louder. Finally, he got close enough to yell back.

"Hey. What's up? What do you need?" Mayid hollered.

"A gator's got me," Apgar replied, his voice faint in the background.

Mayid's call shortly after 4 a.m. sent four Polk County deputies racing to the 2,150-acre lake north of U.S. Highway 92 just outside Lakeland, where they jumped into the water and literally wrenched Apgar's arm from the gator's mouth. The victim, who told authorities he had passed out nude on the shore after smoking crack cocaine, was rushed to a hospital in critical condition.

Later Wednesday, state wildlife authorities trapped and killed a nearly 12-foot-long alligator thought to be the one that attacked Apgar.

Mayid's call was picked up by a sleepy-sounding operator, Josh Fulman.

"There's a guy screaming bloody murder over here, 'Help' in front of the Moose Lodge," Mayid said. He could not be reached Thursday to elaborate on his experience.

"I can hear him from inside my house. . . . He's screaming 'Help, help, help, help.' "

From the time Mayid finally talked with Apgar, a dramatic back-and-forth relay followed with Mayid serving as the middleman between victim and operator.

Fulman told Mayid that deputies were on the way, but there was little the two could do. Meanwhile, Apgar kept screaming.

The tension built.

Replying to a plea from Apgar that was inaudible on the tape, Mayid said, "I ain't going over there. I can't go in there anyway. . . . I don't know how the hell they're going to get through."

Mayid ended up getting close enough to repeatedly ask Apgar what body part the alligator had, yelling, "Help is on the way; help is on the way."

About five minutes into the nearly eight-minute call, Fulman suggested Mayid tell Apgar to punch the alligator. "I don't know if it's true, but if you punch him in the nose . . . it may let him go," he said.

Mayid relayed the message and immediately came back with Apgar's response: "Too big."

There was an audible sigh.

Said Mayid, "He says he needs a gun."

Polk County deputies arrived about two minutes later and soon reached Apgar in the water. He was naked, slumped over in the alligator's jaws in chest-deep water on the east side of Lake Parker.

After a "tug-of-war" match with the gator, three deputies and their sergeant were able to rescue Apgar and carry him to shore. The entire rescue took about 20 minutes.

Apgar told the deputies he had been smoking crack cocaine and fell asleep on the shore when the alligator attacked him. The area includes a strip of land with a picnic table.

But local and state officials said Thursday that they don't know whether Apgar was on the land or already in the water when he was attacked. Said Gary Morse, spokesman for the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, "We don't know what happened."

Sheriff's officials have said Apgar, 45, of Polk City suffered a broken right arm. His left arm was nearly severed, hanging by a tendon, and he had bites to his buttocks and leg. He was in critical condition and underwent surgery Wednesday afternoon at Lakeland Regional Medical Center.

A hospital spokeswoman said Apgar was alive Thursday, but a family member asked his specific condition not be released and would not talk to news reporters.

Morse said the 11-foot-9-inch, 600-pound alligator trapped several hours after the attack had been euthanized, a necessary step to protect the public.

The alligator was "much larger" than average, Morse said.

Investigators aren't positive the captured alligator was the one that attacked Apgar, but they think it is the likely culprit because it was the only gator feeding in that area.

They did not perform a necropsy on the animal because Apgar is not missing limbs.

"Everybody who comes in contact with that alligator is at risk," Morse said. "Alligators don't normally attack people. When they do, something is amiss."

** The phrase "break a leg" just wasn't ambitious enough for Mellie Knight. [8:31 pm]
** Mellie Knight was soundly defeated by Aesal Anari-Idia in the Zgedhi Gkenrzeg Rav! [8:31 pm]
 Back to top »
Tylen
Alpha Antifemale

Post Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject:

Code:
COLUMBIA, South Carolina (AP) -- A fed-up mother had her 12-year-old son arrested for allegedly rummaging through his great-grandmother's things and playing with his Christmas present early.

The mother called police Sunday after learning her son had disobeyed orders and repeatedly taken a Game Boy from its hiding place at his great-grandmother's house next door and played it.

He was arrested on petty larceny charges, taken to the police station in handcuffs and held until his mother picked him up after church.

"My grandmother went out of her way to lay away a toy and paid on this thing for months," said the boy's mother, Brandi Ervin. "It was only to teach my son a lesson. He's been going through life doing things ... and getting away with it."

Police did not release the boy's name.

The mother said that her son was found in the last year to have attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, but that his medicine does not seem to help.

She said he faces an expulsion hearing at his school Wednesday. Rock Hill Police Capt. Mark Bollinger said the boy took a swing at a police officer assigned to the school last month. He has been suspended from school since then.

The boy's case will be presented to Department of Juvenile Justice officials in York County, who will decide what happens to him, Bollinger said. His mother hopes he can attend a program that will finally scare him straight.

"It's not even about the Christmas present," she said. "I only want positive things out of it. ... There's no need for him to act this way. I'd rather call myself than someone else call for him doing something worse than this."

Back to top »
Tylen
Alpha Antifemale

Post Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Posted 12/6/2006 12:11 PM ET

JOHANNESBURG (AFP) - A South African couple have been ordered by their village chief to hold off on their love-making sessions until after 10 pm following a string of complaints about their howls of passion.

Neighbors of Emily Dolo and her boyfriend Barnett Motloung, who live in the eastern state of Mpumalanga, had complained to the village kgosi (elder) that their meals and television watching were being disrupted by the amorous couple for hours at a time.

"I have a nine-year-old boy and he always asks what is happening every time the woman screams," one neighbor told The Sowetan daily.

Dolo was initially ordered to stop making a noise when the couple were summoned to a tribal council but the elder later ruled that they must limit their sex sessions to between 10 pm and 5 am.

Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject:

Quote:
PHILADELPHIA, Pennsylvania (Reuters) -- A tiny town in western Pennsylvania could ask all of its residents to own guns, if a proposal under consideration on Wednesday wins approval from local officials.

Under the proposed law, residents of Cherry Tree, Pennsylvania, would be asked to own guns and know how to use them. Cherry Tree, 70 miles northeast of Pittsburgh, has about 400 residents.

The town council was scheduled to vote on the proposed "Civil Protection Ordinance" on Wednesday evening.

Introduced last month by resident Henry Statkowski, the measure recommends that "all heads of households maintain a firearm along with ammunition."

In written comments, Statkowski said homeowners have a right and a responsibility to defend against intruders rather than calling police and waiting for help to arrive.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
HR-Hannah

Post Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:50 am    Post subject:

HR-Trevor wrote:
Quote:
PHILADELPHIA, Pennsylvania (Reuters) -- A tiny town in western Pennsylvania could ask all of its residents to own guns, if a proposal under consideration on Wednesday wins approval from local officials.

Under the proposed law, residents of Cherry Tree, Pennsylvania, would be asked to own guns and know how to use them. Cherry Tree, 70 miles northeast of Pittsburgh, has about 400 residents.

The town council was scheduled to vote on the proposed "Civil Protection Ordinance" on Wednesday evening.

Introduced last month by resident Henry Statkowski, the measure recommends that "all heads of households maintain a firearm along with ammunition."

In written comments, Statkowski said homeowners have a right and a responsibility to defend against intruders rather than calling police and waiting for help to arrive.

Yay! Now if my state/town will do this... I'll be ahead for once.
 Back to top »
indigone
Mild mannered thinker

Post Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject:

HR-Trevor wrote:
Quote:

That's one way to chase all those annoying liberals out of town. Forget rights, it's your damn responsibility!

Xil <---- annoying liberal avoiding shopping.
"Woke up late one Thursday, and I'm seeing stars as I'm rubbing my eyes. And I felt like there were two days missing, as I focused on the time. And I made my way to the kitchen, but I had to stop from the shock of what I found, a room full of all of my friends dancing round and round and round. And I thought hello new shoes, Bye-Bye blues!"

- Paolo Nutini
 Back to top »
Tylen
Alpha Antifemale

Post Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject:

Not that we need even more evidence of politicians' stupidity...

Code:
WASHINGTON (AP) -- Sen. Tim Johnson has shown significant improvement after brain surgery and doctors say "everything is going to be just fine," Senate Democratic leader Harry Reid said Sunday.

Yet when asked whether the 59-year-old South Dakota Democrat was conscious, Reid said in a television interview: "I'm not a doctor. I have heard and talked to his family. You should talk to them. It's not appropriate to talk to me about that."

Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:45 am    Post subject:

I saw that and had a similar response, but I think perhaps he just didn't feel comfortable talking about specifics of his condition and level of consciousness is much more of a specific than overall prognosis. But the fact is, I've recently studied up on these conditions enough to know that Senator Reid's comment that Tim Johnson will "be just fine" is far from the fact. No one will know until he's well out of the coma state and at the point you'd expect him to be able to understand, speak, move, etc.

Back to top »
Tao

Post Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject:

Miss USA Rocked By New Scandal, Miss Nevada Stripped of Title

Code:
Who needs those 'Girls Gone Wild' DVDs when you've got the Miss USA pageant? Just days after the beauty competition was rocked by scandal involving reigning queen Tara Conner comes news that Miss Nevada has been stripped of her title after raunchy pics of her surfaced on the Net.

Photo agency Splash News have released pics of Katie Rees, who was crowned Miss Nevada in October, exposing her breasts, simulating oral sex and making out with other women during a party in Tampa.

According to People magazine, Paula M. Shugart, president of the Miss Universe Organization, released a statement Thursday saying, "Katie Rees has been relieved of her duties as Miss Nevada USA 2007. First runner-up Helen Salas will assume the title and compete at the 2007 Miss USA Pageant on March 23 in Los Angeles, California."

Rees's attorney told TV's Extra, "Katie Rees wants the public to know she was 17 and had a lapse in judgment. This was an isolated incident that occurred more than five years ago when she was a minor."

Earlier this week, Miss USA co-founder Donald Trump allowed Tara Conner to continue her reign despite media reports of heavy drug and alcohol use.

"I've always been a believer in second chances. Tara is a good person. Tara has tried hard. Tara is going to be given a second chance," Trump told a press conference, adding that Conner was being sent to rehab.

Link to the pix:
http://www.dose.ca/photos/celeb/missnevada.html
Tylen
Alpha Antifemale

Post Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
PARIS, Jan 2 (Reuters) - A French court ruled on Tuesday that an organisation with far-right links can continue offering pork soup to the homeless, rejecting police complaints that the food distribution was racist.

Police banned the soup kitchen last month, arguing that the handouts discriminated against Jews and Muslims who do not eat pork on religious grounds.

The administrative court said the distribution was "clearly discriminatory", but could not be stopped because the organisers offered to feed anyone who asked for help.

The mayor of Paris condemned the ruling and urged the police to appeal the ruling.

"Faced by this initiative which stinks of xenophobia, I want once again to express city hall's desire to fight all forms of discrimination, racism and anti-Semitism," mayor Bertrand Delanoe said in a statement.

The food handouts are organised by a nationalist group called Solidarity of the French (SDF). It says its "pig soup", which uses pork fat for stock, is country fare much loved by French traditionalists.

"No-one has ever been able to prove that anyone has been refused soup or clothes on the grounds of their religion or race," SDF lawyer Frederic Pichon told France Info radio after Tuesday's court decision.

Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Aqua Teen Hunger Force takes down Boston

Lightbrites can kill!

link

Quote:
A “guerilla marketing” campaign for a popular adult cartoon thrust Boston into pandemonium today as at least 10 bomb scares turned out to be battery-operated ads strategically place around the city.

Federal, state and local police swarmed around Boston, Somerville and Cambridge as reports poured in of suspcious devices, closing roads, tunnels and bridges for hours.

The chaos touched off a traffic nightmare and prompted a tense press conference from Gov. Deval Patrick and Mayor Thomas M. Menino, who assured residents the matter was under control. Fears of a possible terrorist act were quelled when it was determined the devices were part of an underground advertising campaign for the Cartoon Network TV show “Aqua Teen Hunger Force
The device features a character called a mooninite.

As the morning rush hour was in full force, Route I-93 was shut down Wednesday morning during state police investigation at the Sullivan Square MTBA station. The highway passes over the MBTA station just over the Somerville border in Charlestown. According to Lt. Eric Anderson of the State Police, that device was knocked down with a water cannon, and traffic was not fully open on I-93 until noon.

Authorities said there are 38 devices in Boston and Somerville. In Cambridge, the Longfellow Bridge was alleged to be a target, and was investigated.

“I think Cambridge firefighters were dispatched as a result of media reports,” said Capt. Gerry Mahoney of the Cambridge Fire Department.

Others were not as dismissive. City Councilor Michael Flaherty was fuming and demanded that Turner Broadcasting, the owner of the Cartoon Network, “reimburse the city of Boston for every dime spent today on this serious public safety threat.”

“It’s outrageous, reckless and totally irresponsible,” Flaherty said. “What a waste of resources.”

Todd Vanderlin, a New York City student, was visiting his buddy in Boston Jan. 15 when he spotted one of the illuminated devices on a South Boston bridge. He snapped photos of it and took it down.

“I saw one on a bridge. It was glowing. It’s like a light bright,” Vanderlin told the Herald.

Vanderlin said the device, which broke while he was taking it down, is a light-emitting diode or LED that was manufactured in China. It consists of four double D batteries that connect to a large capacitor and photoresister, a device that illuminated the device at night. “That’s as complex as it gets,” Vanderlin said by phone. “It’s a simple, little, wiring thing. It’s so harmless it’s not even funny. My friend has it hanging in his office.”

The network responsible for the show says the devices are harmless.

“The packages in question are magnetic lights that pose no danger. They are part of an outdoor marketing campaign in 10 cities in support of Adult Swim’s animated television show Aqua Teen Hunger Force. They have been in place for two to three weeks in Boston, New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Atlanta, Seattle, Portland, Austin, San Francisco, and Philadelphia. Parent company Turner Broadcasting is in contact with local and federal law enforcement on the exact locations of the billboards. We regret that they were mistakenly thought to pose any danger,” said a statement by Turner Broadcasting, which also owns CNN.

A source told the Boston Herald that a memo is being sent out to City Hall employees notifying them that the devices are part of the marketing campaign.

Daedalus
Local Pimp

Post Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Aqua Teen Hunger Force takes down Boston

soundless wrote:
Lightbrites can kill!

link

The problem here though is that it should have taken less than an hour for SOMEONE to identify and communicate up the chain of command that:

a) This is a pop-culture reference, and probably an advertisement.
b) These "devices" consist entirely of some LEDs and a battery and have no hidden compartments or extra space to conceal explosives.

And that should all have happened before any clueless spokesperson got on TV to tell a whole city it was surrounded with bombs.

The fact that it was treated as a bomb plot for the whole day and pimped up by the media into the very "terror" situation they proclaim to be trying to prevent shows how flawed the chain of intelligence still is despite all claims of improvements in the last five years.

These things didn't shut down the city, the Boston Police did.
These things didn't "terrorize" anybody, the City leaders did.

What's bullshit is, the Artist responsible for putting up the devices may face some serious shit thanks to somebody else's stupidity. If you want to punish anyone for being a "hoax terrorist" here, then toss out your incompetent government and police officials that manufactured this whole nonsense.

Commonsense is dead.

Mooninites: 1
Boston: 0

GG, Boston!

So, the next motherfucker I see throwing out his old VCR, I'm calling fucking bomb squad.

"Uh, yes. Bomb Squad? My Neighbor just threw a very sinister looking black box into his trash can. It has wires and stuffs. I believe he may be a terrorist or pretending to be one. Arrest him, plz. Kthxbye"

Teach that bitch to borrow sugar from my ass.

In other news, the guys that did it ... they f-ing rawk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2fGzmphx4U

Hair today, gone tomorrow!
RLH

Post Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject:

Another example of the pussification of America. We are getting SOFT people

"The real issue isnt whether or not there is a morally acceptable amount of sex or violence, the real issue is; how can we put more sex in our violence?"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Xavain Gramorham says, "Yet you wanted to marry Mellie."
You hear the voice of Yaru Dex say, "For her MONEY geez! Not her VA****!."
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject:

Yeah, this whole event was bullshit. When we're finally a nation of mindless, heartless drones, you can thank the people who are still using the phrase "In a 9/11 era" over 5 years later, which by the way, was used by a police official in describing why the lite brites were a terrible scourge upon civilization.

Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Out of Character Discussions » Stupidity In The News
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 10 of 13

Jump to: