Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Treasure
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Combat & Hunting » Treasure
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kit
Cybertech Extraordinaire~

Post Posted: Mon May 23, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Treasure

How about instead of the same treasure going into every level or critter boxes, you balance it out more. Different and better treasure the higher you go up. More units of commodities, more cash, better paying items, etc. This would be INSTEAD of making chances of finding boxes/treasure based on your level. No one wants to keep hunting chiths if all they have are bundles of 100 in cash and 1-5 units per commodity. However, it makes people that, for nskills, are trying to work their disarming skill or whatever a chance to find a lot of low level boxes without having it be that people hunt lesser things strickly to get more money.

AIM: KitMurphyHR
Email: yojibalinese@hotmail.com
Technician Database: http://tech.haelrahv.net/
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
HR-Beau
The Good Fairy

Post Posted: Mon May 23, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject:

That's still a difficult idea to promote simply because people will be able to kill a lower level creature in a short period of time, thus gaining more QUANTITY even if the QUALITY is lower. They'll still be able to majorly underhunt and come out on top.
If there is one thing in the world that I know, love conquers all, it trancends time and space, defies all odds, and can bring you back from the darkness, it is the guiding light that helps bring you in from the rough stormy seas of life, and it remains even after you have gone.
~ Adam ~

www.angeluserratus.net
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kit

Post Posted: Mon May 23, 2005 9:38 pm    Post subject:

HR-Beau wrote:
That's still a difficult idea to promote simply because people will be able to kill a lower level creature in a short period of time, thus gaining more QUANTITY even if the QUALITY is lower. They'll still be able to majorly underhunt and come out on top.

That's probably something that would have to be tested. I find that in most games I play it's better loot per box, not easier time to find boxes based on closeness to level. And I'm not thinking so much in terms of loot as I am in terms of skill. It will be very hard for my other characters to learn disarming by practice because they can't open boxes they find....boxes in their level are from creatures that no longer drop boxes from them.

Edit:

You'd have to do it this way:

1. Take into concideration time it takes to kill something your level and equal that to a certain 'price' on the loot you find. If you make it so that people will always have a higher kill-time to loot ratio if they hunt on their level, it's no problem. Younger characters can still underhunt to find boxes...but it won't be profitable at all. It will be a strictly skill-building exercise.

Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2005 5:20 am    Post subject:

i know this is me fucking with the numbers to suit my goal, but look at it this way:

1) it takes me a minute to kill a level 100 guy. that guy gives 100 gold. the risk is really high.
2) it takes me five seconds to kill a level 10 guy. that guy gives me 10 gold. there is no risk.

1 min with the level 100 mob = 100 gold
1 min with some level 10 mobs = 100 gold

the downfall of letting high levels lay waste to low level mobs for treasure by the bulk (as opposed to a low amount of really good treasure) is that, while they might not get as much as if they hunt on level, they still get a hell of a lot at little risk, and it also makes it hard for those of that level to hunt in the area.

i know when people would try to hunt in beetles, if ten would gen every minute, i'd kill eight and they'd get two. or something like that.

once again, me messing with numbers to prove my point, but that's sorta the way it is seen from a GM perspective for now (i think).
Kit

Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2005 5:49 am    Post subject:

soundless wrote:
i know this is me fucking with the numbers to suit my goal, but look at it this way:

1) it takes me a minute to kill a level 100 guy. that guy gives 100 gold. the risk is really high.
2) it takes me five seconds to kill a level 10 guy. that guy gives me 10 gold. there is no risk.

1 min with the level 100 mob = 100 gold
1 min with some level 10 mobs = 100 gold

the downfall of letting high levels lay waste to low level mobs for treasure by the bulk (as opposed to a low amount of really good treasure) is that, while they might not get as much as if they hunt on level, they still get a hell of a lot at little risk, and it also makes it hard for those of that level to hunt in the area.

i know when people would try to hunt in beetles, if ten would gen every minute, i'd kill eight and they'd get two. or something like that.

once again, me messing with numbers to prove my point, but that's sorta the way it is seen from a GM perspective for now (i think).

What if it takes 2 minute to kill a level 100 creature for a reward of 1000 vs 1 minute to kill a level 10 creature for a reward of 10? Numbers can be used against you. The point I was making is that for it to work, hunting the best you can should give the most rewards and have the highest risk. But people that have sub-par combat skills (and this will be REALLY important with Nskills because if I stop going out to physically train combat for a level or two I'm gonna be fucked in the long run), can still hunt, find subpar treasure as easily as people hunting that 'subpar' creature on level, and most of all, will be able to build their skills again after a break from training that level.

Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2005 6:01 am    Post subject:

Kit wrote:
What if it takes 2 minute to kill a level 100 creature for a reward of 1000 vs 1 minute to kill a level 10 creature for a reward of 10? Numbers can be used against you. The point I was making is that for it to work, hunting the best you can should give the most rewards and have the highest risk.

yeah, and while the biggest risks may still give the biggest rewards, it can still be damaging for someone to amass a ton of stuff at next to no risk.

i think the goal is to prevent people from getting 'easy money' from critters.

personally, if i could risk death and make $10,000, or play it easy and make $5,000, i'd still take the $5,000.
Kit

Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2005 6:17 am    Post subject:

soundless wrote:
Kit wrote:
What if it takes 2 minute to kill a level 100 creature for a reward of 1000 vs 1 minute to kill a level 10 creature for a reward of 10? Numbers can be used against you. The point I was making is that for it to work, hunting the best you can should give the most rewards and have the highest risk.

yeah, and while the biggest risks may still give the biggest rewards, it can still be damaging for someone to amass a ton of stuff at next to no risk.

i think the goal is to prevent people from getting 'easy money' from critters.

personally, if i could risk death and make $10,000, or play it easy and make $5,000, i'd still take the $5,000.

I went to the fen...and they still hit me. That's creatures less than 50 levels beneath me. So there's still some risk. And besides, artisans make some good money at little to no risk.

Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2005 10:30 am    Post subject:

Kit wrote:
I went to the fen...and they still hit me. That's creatures less than 50 levels beneath me. So there's still some risk. And besides, artisans make some good money at little to no risk.

which is probably why it takes me around three to five minutes to make around $1k, depending on the project.
HR-Beau
The Good Fairy

Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2005 1:37 pm    Post subject:

This is a really funny conversation going on here. Yaru wins round one, though. And Carrie Underwood wins American Idol. (I hope)
If there is one thing in the world that I know, love conquers all, it trancends time and space, defies all odds, and can bring you back from the darkness, it is the guiding light that helps bring you in from the rough stormy seas of life, and it remains even after you have gone.
~ Adam ~

www.angeluserratus.net
 Back to top »
Kit

Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2005 6:06 pm    Post subject:

soundless wrote:
Kit wrote:

which is probably why it takes me around three to five minutes to make around $1k, depending on the project.

That isn't bad at all. As I said...this isn't about money. This is about skill. And about forcing someone to hunt at their level, not at their skill range.

Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2005 6:09 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
And about forcing someone to hunt at their level, not at their skill range.

Can you clarify what you meant by that portion? I realize there is a technical distinction but I don't know what gameplay distinction you were making there.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
ragonda
A fearful red dragon

Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject:

i think a random distribution of treasure regardless of critter or level of the hunter would be the fairest system for all Twisted Evil

if the higher your level or higher your skill determines the value of your treasure finds then we will end up with a lot of older players becoming extortionately rich and staying rich

and the poor nooby will enter into HR and take one look at the older guys and think that they have no chance of catching up to them and turn right round and go back out again Twisted Evil

if you where in a rl battle with a random amount of people not all of them people will be carrying treasure and they wont be carrying any more or less because of their ability in battle ?????
 Back to top »
HR-Mickey
Cloverfield Monster

Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject:

In real life, people aren't carrying around locked treasure chests filled with gold nuggets and magical pendants. Otherwise, we'd all be mugging babies and quadrapalegic midgets.

To make a long story short, don't tell it.

I may be going nowhere, but I'm going nowhere fast.
---
Kelvin Watt says, "I stopped drinking coke when no longer drinking beer didn't make my gut disappear."
---
Kaelin Rae says, "Wait a minute..."
Kaelin Rae says, "You mean they have a COKE machine that dispenses beer."
Kaelin Rae nods to you.
Kaelin Rae says, "Greaser."
Kaelin Rae looks at you and sighs.
 Back to top »
Kit

Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2005 9:09 pm    Post subject:

HR-Trevor wrote:
Quote:
And about forcing someone to hunt at their level, not at their skill range.

Can you clarify what you meant by that portion? I realize there is a technical distinction but I don't know what gameplay distinction you were making there.

Say I have a level 10 character that has a proficiency in bladed weapons. I decide not to train bladed weapons completely...I want to train climbing more. So I have only 20 skill points invested in bladed weapons. When I hunt with that character, I would rather have treasure/experience gained by what the skill is...not by what the level of the character is. IRL, you don't go by someone's age, or someone's assumed experience. You go by what they really can do. Therefore, skill, not level, should be the deciding factor (in my opinion) for finding boxes on creatures.

Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2005 9:58 pm    Post subject:

Kit:

In order to use skill as a determining factor, you have to consider a myriad of skills, not one skill. Further, you then have to consider the aspects that augment skill, such as stats, spells, and so on. Not only would it be a poor use of the server's resources to consider fifty different factors in a simple treasure/loot calculation, but it seems like great overkill with the only benefit being to allow someone the full liberty of undertraining.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Combat & Hunting » Treasure
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: