FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Favorite movies
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Out of Character Discussions » Favorite movies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kit
Cybertech Extraordinaire~

Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 9:15 am    Post subject: Favorite movies

I've just about exhausted most movies on Netflix...so I'm pretty much looking for new, weird stuff. So what are your favorite movies? And why would you recommend them to others?

1. "Princess Bride." I think this movie is pretty much up there with any fantasy lover. It's funny, bizarre, and has Andre the Giant in it. Summing the movie up, it's really quite charming and has ROUSes and six-fingered men...which definately make for an ideal plot by anyone's standard.

2. "Happiness of the Katakuris." If you're a fan of Japanese Horror movies, clay-mation sections in live-action, and musicals, you'll love this movie. It's by the director of "Audition" (probably one of the greatest Jap-horror movies ever) and "Juon" and it's remake, "The Grudge." And it's a musical horror movie. Seriously. It's about a family how start a bed and breakfast and all of their guests keep dying...in bizarre ways...which usually involve singing and fog and music videos...

3. "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers." Another musical, but this one is older and fairly anti-feminist...but I love it. The music is catchy. The plot is about seven brothers that go out and kidnap townswomen...who subsequently fall in love with them. Through song! And amusing biblical refrences and rednecks. You won't get the song about sobbin' women unless you're familiar with the Sabine Women story. Even so, probably one of the most enjoyable musicals ever.

4. "Battle Royale." The first one, not the second one -- which boring in EXCEPTIONALLY anti-american and it's not as amusing and gorey as the first one. Kitano (probably the most famous Japanese actor ever...he's in some American films...think Johny Mnemonic) is a homeroom teacher. Japan decides that because kids have no respect for adults anymore that each year they'll take the class of junior high kids that does the worst and is the most delinquent, put collars on them that will blow them all up in three days, stick em on a deserted island with random weapons, and tell them that if they don't kill each other in three days so that only one is left alive, they'll all be blow up! And this is all in the hopes that the rest of the country (this event is well televised, btw) will see how not-so-good this is and shape up. It's a gory, psychological thriller...and the acting is really awesome for a Japanese horror flick. Senseless killing of junior high students by their friends and classmates won't sit well with some people, but it's clever.

5. "Momento." This movie is insanely trippy in a sort of retro, 12 Monkeys 'thinking' story. Humor, bloodshed, a guy with no long term memory and so many twists that you have to watch it a few times to catch everything, fill this movie. Seriously one of the most frightening pyschological thrillers (after Audition, which made me nearly puke...not because of the gore but because it truly frightened me) ever. This movie is about a guy who is after the murderer of his girlfriend/wife, but can't remember anything so has to write himself notes and tattoo clues on himself. The ending, which is really the begining (the movie runs backwards partially), is shocking.

AIM: KitMurphyHR
Email: yojibalinese@hotmail.com
Technician Database: http://tech.haelrahv.net/
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tylen
Alpha Antifemale

Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 10:12 am    Post subject:

Leon (The Professional). Sadly, I think Netflix has the shorter American version. But I could be wrong.
** The phrase "break a leg" just wasn't ambitious enough for Mellie Knight. [8:31 pm]
** Mellie Knight was soundly defeated by Aesal Anari-Idia in the Zgedhi Gkenrzeg Rav! [8:31 pm]
 Back to top »
the blue fairy
Grandmistress

Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 10:24 am    Post subject:

I couldnt begin to say what my Fav's are because I am a huge movies buff.

But I did love Memento and The Professional. As far as whacky time line movies go I have to say Run Lola Run was awesome. Watched the german version with subtitles with my daughter and although she had no clue what they were saying she loved the movie and still asks to watch it again. Cant wait till she can read that fast to see if she actually likes it.

Foreign Films-Life is Beautiful (amazing movie), Amelie

Horror-Something Wicked This Way Comes and Company of the Wolves

Romance-City of Angels (still makes me cry) and Sweet November

As far as action, normal comedy, slapstick comedy, drama goes I couldnt even begin to say because the list is to long.

Anime-Princess of Mononoke and Spirited Away

Fucked up drug movies-Requiem for a Dream

Thats all I got for now will add more if I take the time to really think on it

A set of breast implants fall from the sky with a soft plop.

Caretaker Jornnoj Vunn looks up at the sky.

A passing guard suddenly shits himself.

Last edited by the blue fairy on Thu May 19, 2005 10:37 am; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
Kit

Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 10:34 am    Post subject:

"Spirited Away" is definately Miyazaki's best flick...but it's even better if you know about the levels of heaven...each of which are depicted by the floors in the hotel.

My favorite anime movie is and will always be "Grave of the Fireflies." I saw it in highschool raw, and it was just beautiful and moving and painful...so so painful. It's about a brother and his sister just after the nuclear bombs dropped on Japan. You'll need tissues. Then again, "Akira," which most people know and it's kinda cliche to love that show, is remarkable too...even if "Evangelion: Rebirth" had similiar themes and was much more interestesting animated.

My favorite non-Japanese foriegn film is "The Devil's Backbone." It's another pyschological thriller...about orphanes. It's a tad taboo too...so keep an open mind if you rent it. (It's Spanish.)

Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
HR-Faith
OCD Grammar Perfectionist

Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 10:37 am    Post subject:

1. Princess Bride. I know...it's inconceivable. Razz

2. The Fifth Element. This has everything. Science fiction, aliens, Bruce Willis blowing things up, gorgeous almost naked female, Gary Oldman playing a bad guy, humor...it's one of my 2 favorites.

3. Army of Darkness. What can I say? Hail to the King, baby.

4. The Quick and the Dead. I'm SO not a Sharon Stone or a Leonardo DiCaprio fan...but this film DOES have Russel Crowe and Gene Hackman in it. Old west, lots of shootings. Love it.

5. My Name Is Nobody. If you like slapstick, and you like old spaghetti westerns, this hard to find gem is IT. Features Terence Hill and Henry Fonda. This is my other favorite.

6. Gladiator. This is one of those sit down and pay attention movies. A lot of depth and character, and of course, Russel Crowe.

7. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. This one I probably wouldn't recommend though - because most people -don't get it-.

8. Pirates of the Caribbean. Johnny Depp does one hell of a job in this movie. I truly believe that if LOTR-III hadn't come out the same year, PotC would have taken the majority of the awards.

9. Pulp Fiction. Wow. John Travolta isn't Vinnie Barbarino anymore, and this movie is definitely not for children.

10. Highlander. The original. There can only be one, yanno?

In addition, there's all the mainstays on my shelves. Blade, The Matrix, LOTR, American Pie through American Wedding, Kill Bill, etc., etc.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." -- Bilbo Baggins --
 Back to top »
the blue fairy
Grandmistress

Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject:

Ahh yes The Devils Backbone was a good one.

Also add Secretary to my list. Category all its own

And Faith the Quick and the Dead is a great movie!

Back to top »
HR-Beau
The Good Fairy

Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject:

Grave of the Fireflies is an excellent anime movie. Very touching, very sad, and very un-animelike. Its like watching a historical drama about Japan during World War II, only its animated. The story is spectacular.

For Musicals: Moulin Rouge, Phantom of the Opera, Godspell, Chicago, Rocky Horror Picture Show, Hedwig and the Angry Inch, Victor/Victoria,

Drama: Cold Mountain, Cellular, L.I.E., Kill Bill 1, Kill Bill 2, Latter Days, Pay it Forward, Finding Neverland, What Dreams May Come,

Comedy: Stepford Wives, Big Eden, Big Fish, Dogma, Erin Brockovich, Fried Green Tomatoes, Steel Magnolias, Get Real, Little Black Book, Miss Congeniality, Patch Adams, Princess Diaries 1 & 2, Princess Bride, Saved!, Shrek 1 & 2, The 10th Kingdom

Sci-Fi: A.I., Contact, Flight of the Navigator, Farscape: Peacekeeper Wars, Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow

Anyone wanting to be added to my Netflix friends list is free to send me an e-mail at hr-beau@haelrahv.com and let me know the e-mail you use for Netflix. Its always nice to see what other people recommend. I also tried to hilight one movie in each category I had as a MUST SEE. All of these movies are ones that spoke to me in one way or another and that I think everyone should watch and stop to think about more for what the movie had to say than for the special effects, or the budget, or who was in it. Saved! is the overall must see here.
If there is one thing in the world that I know, love conquers all, it trancends time and space, defies all odds, and can bring you back from the darkness, it is the guiding light that helps bring you in from the rough stormy seas of life, and it remains even after you have gone.
~ Adam ~

www.angeluserratus.net
 Back to top »
Kit

Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 11:23 am    Post subject:

HR-Beau wrote:
Phantom of the Opera

I was exceedingly pleased with the choices for singers (the lead was still in highschool when she did it)...but at the end, why did his hair turn white and why were there missing clumps? Bizzare.

Quote:
Hedwig and the Angry Inch

Oh, another good one. My ringtone is "Wig in a Box." My favorite song is the opening one, however, about the creation myth where couples were split in half.

Quote:
What Dreams May Come

Ugh. Definately not up there on my must see. I like surrealist pieces...And I love Robin Williams...but my favorite surrealist piece is "The Cell." The original. Without J-Lo. Eww.

Quote:
A.I., Contact, Flight of the Navigator

A.I. was too sad and I hate stupid Haley Joel Osmand. Contact...cool concept...terrible movie. Huge love for Flight of the Navigator. One of my favorites!

As for "Saved!"...it definately plays exactly like some REM song/video. Not a huge coincidence since one of the REM guys directed or produced it or something.

Back to top »
Sorkaa

Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject:

Hmm, well..there are a lot of different ways to approach this. I'm really not good at explaining why I like things, and I figure if you haven't already heard about the plot, you can check out imdb.com.

Movies that have already been mentioned: A.I., Spirited Away, Pulp Fiction, Secretary, Kill Bill 1 & 2

Movies I would actually recommend:

1. Quills. This is an interesting movie about the Marquis de Sade, living in an asylum. Fictional of course, but with a basis in reality. There are a lot of characters represented here and I really got involved in the story.

2. Dangerous Liasons. Another period piece. Really just a captivating story, with a surprising ending.

3. The Princess and the Warrior. German with subtitles, from the same writer/director as Run Lola Run.

4. The Butterfly Effect. Yes, Ashton Kutcher is in it, but it's a complete 180 from all of his other work. The movie explores a lot of shocking themes; just rather unexpected.

My other favorite movies:

1. SLC Punk! - mostly just a fun look at the life of a Salt Lake City punk in the 80s, but with some somber themes as well.
2. The Salton Sea - stars Val Kilmer as a meth addict with a mysterious past.
3. Donnie Darko
4. The Order
5. Se7en
6. Shaun of the Dead - very funny British zombie movie; easy to relate to and a bit satirical.
7. True Romance - Tarantino; enough said.
8. Equilibrium - stars Christian Bale in a future where extreme emotions are illegal; lots of gunfights reminiscent of The Matrix
9. Cruel Intentions
10. City of Lost Children - surreal French film about the quest of a circus strongman to save his brother from a mad scientist
11. Trainspotting
12. 28 Days Later
13. Gangs of New York
14. Real Genius - I aboslutely loved the way Val Kilmer played a jaded genius in this film.

Other movies that are entertaining if you're just looking for something to watch:

Drama: Edward Scissorhands, Elephant, Garden State, Heathers, House of Sand and Fog, Julian Po, When Will I Be Loved
Comedy: 40 Days and 40 Nights, 50 First Dates, Dude, Where's My Car?, Elf, Shanghai Knights/Noon, Wild Wild West
Science Fiction: Cube, The Final Cut, Gattaca, Strange Days
Action: Cradle 2 the Grave, The Day After Tomorrow, F/X
Action/Fantasy: Underworld, Van Helsing
Thriller/Mystery: From Hell, The Ninth Gate
Animated: Triplets of Belleville
 Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject:

"Donnie Darko" is up there on my top ten list. It's pretty great, despite what the majority of people say.

But "Battle Royale" wins everything. It was so not what I was expecting to see out of a movie. It was the first Japanese non-anime non-Godzilla movie I had seen, and just wow. A++. I wish American movies could be this open and free.

I wish they'd do a remake of "A Clockwork Orange" to try and get it closer to the book.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
the blue fairy
Grandmistress

Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject:

UGH I hate this topic because I can never think of movies when I want to!

SLC Punk and The Salton Sea definatly
True Romance I would definatly replaces the others as my Fav. Romance and #1 action. Gotta love the end gun fight. And no monologue beats Deniis Hoppers to Christopher Walken which makes me bring up the Prophecy movies, guilty pleasure.

If you want Heathers meets Clueless watch Jawbreakers

recently watched the Final Cut and the Jacket and really liked them

I remember watching Victor/Victoria when I was young and I loved it, Pricilla Queen of the Dessert is also a must. as is Torch song of Trilogy

.........still thinking

Back to top »
HR-Faith
OCD Grammar Perfectionist

Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject:

I've seen most of the movies you listed and agree with all I've seen but one.

Sorkaa wrote:
4. The Butterfly Effect. Yes, Ashton Kutcher is in it, but it's a complete 180 from all of his other work. The movie explores a lot of shocking themes; just rather unexpected.

I hated that movie. I thought the idea behind it was neat, but I felt it was low budget, horrible lighting, horrible directing, horrible editing, horrible 'effects' and not much better acting. It got a C- from me, and the only thing that brought it up from an F was the plot itself (screenplay).

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." -- Bilbo Baggins --
 Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject:

Oh, I forgot about the Prophecy trilogy. Those movies were pretty cool, though the third kind of dropped the ball.

Is it just me, or do Morgan Freeman and Christopher Walken show up in almost every movie?

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
ragonda
A fearful red dragon

Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 12:21 pm    Post subject:

Angelas ashes :true life about one mans childhood and his ambition becoming fullfilled

who will love my children :great weepy

mad max beyond the thunderdome : no description everyone must know about this one
 Back to top »
Sorkaa

Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject:

Brokyn wrote:
Is it just me, or do Morgan Freeman and Christopher Walken show up in almost every movie?

I've noticed that too; it's fun to look for them in everything now. Jude Law seems to appear in a lot of recent films, as well.
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Out of Character Discussions » Favorite movies
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: