FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Google's Web Accelrator.
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Out of Character Discussions » Google's Web Accelrator.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gabriel

Post Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 11:51 am    Post subject: Google's Web Accelrator.

Yes, it is from Something Awful. But this article is informative and helpful. Do not use Google's accelerator if you value your privacy.

http://www.somethingawful.com/articles.php?a=2858
 Back to top »
Nelle
Ooh Nuuurse..

Post Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 12:07 pm    Post subject:

Is the accelerator something you'd have to specifically download and install? I don't think I've seen it.
Gabriel

Post Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 12:11 pm    Post subject:

Nelle wrote:
Is the accelerator something you'd have to specifically download and install? I don't think I've seen it.

Yes.
 Back to top »
SoulTorn
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet

Post Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject:

Some filtering of Slashdot comments on it:

Quote:
The GWA does three things that save bandwidth:

1) Compress all HTML content passed between Google and client
2) Use local cacheing
3) Send diffs (just what changed) of files that are in the cache but out of date

This comment is an interesting read.

Quote:
First, they collect your search information. Next they collected your email. Now they collect your destination. You put it all together, that is quite a bit of information.

Add to that your Usenet posts, where you're going or where you live, what you're buying, what kind of news you're interested in, and maybe even who your friends are

But all that's only true if you give them the information. Even so, the quantity that Google could know about me just given all the Google stuff I've used from one single IP address is rather alarming.

But I don't mind. This is partly because I don't think they're jerks (as far as public corporations go, anyway), but mostly still because I don't think they really care.

If we had a lot of evidence they did care, then I suspect that there would immediately exist a movement for 'free', anonymous versions of whatever services Google currently provides.

If you're a webmaster, you might want to check http://webaccelerator.google.com/webmasterhelp.html

Also, http://tinyurl.com/7r3jg [researchbuzz.org].

You can check the Google Privacy Policy at http://www.google.com/privacy.html

You can check the Google Web Accelerator Privacy Policy at http://webaccelerator.google.com/privacy.html

It should be noted that the GWA is currently in a Beta state. As such, things can(and apparently have) foul up. If you really want to use the GWA, at least wait until the Beta is over.
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Add to that your Usenet posts, where you're going or where you live, what you're buying, what kind of news you're interested in, and maybe even who your friends are

I was hoping they were going to lead into saying something like "well, with Google having all of this information, who needs a national ID card?". That would have been great.

Anyway, Google can get all the information they want for all I care. I don't have very much to hide except my various logins across the intarweb. Even if I did have something to hide, it's not like local law enforcement's going to think of calling up google for information on me. If anything, the FBI would probably be the first to think of it, but I don't intend on doing anything they'd be all too interested in learning about.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Out of Character Discussions » Google's Web Accelrator.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: