FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Combat Updates, Feedback
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 29, 30, 31  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Combat & Hunting » Combat Updates, Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Warner
Sneaky Locksmithiness

Post Posted: Fri May 27, 2005 10:22 am    Post subject:

Handguns generally have lower load times, more
accuracy
and are generally less powerful than rifle or shotgun type weapons.

This makes me question who on the staff that coded this has actually fired/maintained/loaded a pistol/rifle on their own without a book who's title ends with "for dummies"

n00bs Laughing
HR-Mickey
Cloverfield Monster

Post Posted: Fri May 27, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject:

I almost fell for what I read at first as a troll. Suffice it to say, I'm not the tiniest bit embarrased for not being an "authority" on firearms; I've got my eggs in baskets that I, personally, judge to be culturally finer in pursuit.

That said, some of us are too busy trying to balance a game for the entirety of the player base to spend time on a shooting range.

To make a long story short, don't tell it.

I may be going nowhere, but I'm going nowhere fast.
---
Kelvin Watt says, "I stopped drinking coke when no longer drinking beer didn't make my gut disappear."
---
Kaelin Rae says, "Wait a minute..."
Kaelin Rae says, "You mean they have a COKE machine that dispenses beer."
Kaelin Rae nods to you.
Kaelin Rae says, "Greaser."
Kaelin Rae looks at you and sighs.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Fri May 27, 2005 11:42 am    Post subject:

Quote:
This makes me question who on the staff that coded this has actually fired/maintained/loaded a pistol/rifle on their own without a book who's title ends with "for dummies"

Making Haelrahv's weapons work like real-world weapons wasn't even on the list of goals, much less a significant concern.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
Warner
Sneaky Locksmithiness

Post Posted: Fri May 27, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I almost fell for what I read at first as a troll. Suffice it to say, I'm not the tiniest bit embarrased for not being an "authority" on firearms; I've got my eggs in baskets that I, personally, judge to be culturally finer in pursuit.

That said, some of us are too busy trying to balance a game for the entirety of the player base to spend time on a shooting range.

That's alright Mickey, you'r forgiven. I believe the phrase is each to his own, so i'll explain.

ri·fle1 ( P ) Pronunciation Key (rfl)
n.

A firearm with a rifled bore, designed to be fired from the shoulder.
An artillery piece or naval gun with such spiral grooves.
rifles Troops armed with rifles.

tr.v. ri·fled, ri·fling, ri·fles
To cut spiral grooves within (a gun barrel, for example).

purpose of rifling; to make the round revolve or have higher revolutions if you will. thus making the fired shot more accurate.
(refer to prerifling technique muskets which were inaccurate at 20 yards AT BEST and killed more people with broken bones and infections)

Quote:
Making Haelrahv's weapons work like real-world weapons wasn't even on the list of goals, much less a significant concern.

Please see definition above about rifles, you can of course thumb your nose at fact; and call it a rifle; but then the mental image of the rifle becomes a short barreled pistol (read:very short/no barrel)
for the sake of game balance.
So one must ask from an rp stance, how could a world with advanced technologies de-evolve one type of gun in particular back into a musket?
So we fall back to the words game balance. The two words that sounds like the land of milk and honey, and rarely is the case.Looking at the list of amendments to news 8 which ranges from completely hilarious to outright illogical.Well. the defense stands on the fantasy scifi arguement,
but let me level a few EDIT: statements which you should have thought of (and undoubtibly would have made your sleep easier).
1:there are differant professions with differant perks/weaknesses for a reason.
2.There is a help file for each one (usually detailing them)
(this one was well put by Zamde)
3.If they wanted to hunt/get uber treasure ect then why didn't they choose a "combat profession"?
So you see, instead of playing juggle with all these "balancing acts"
you could have merely pointed out that a:mercs will always have the edge offensively b:troopers will always have the defensive edge c:mages/psionics will have great offensive power but lower defensive power(a proper and logical trade off) ect..
Yes some Professions have combat skills and aren't considered combatants.This could be assumed to have been leeway given for
the developement of a semi-combatant character in a non-combatant class, NOT a justification to whine and bitch and complain about not being able to be adept hunters.
In short, like Zamde pointed out, if they wanted to be hunters they should have picked a combat class.
So now we have these balancing add-ons which no one seems too happy with, all you have to do is read through other feedback posts to ascertain this.
I guess losing the ability to script foraging for heaps of exp/wealth at no risk really did turn the ecologists into hunters.
However, that agreeable is a case of game balance which was badly needed.
jade
Soldier of the '?'th Century

Post Posted: Fri May 27, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: stunning/defending

in cases such as had been mentioned earlier with stunned creatures still appearing (in messaging) to defend against an attack, my thought had been that reflected a fumble on the players part.

to my knowledge, there is currently no specific messaging one receives upon fumbling; it still appears to me, from the players side, like the regular 'i try but fail as 'x' dodges the attack' type of message, even though the underlying cause of failure (whether the opponent be stunned or not) is a profession-determined fumble.

You say, "For all, temperance."
You say, "But justice is worthy for its own sake."
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
HR-Beau
The Good Fairy

Post Posted: Fri May 27, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject:

Jade, so that Trevor and Marduk can get a better handle on it, can you post a mini-log of it happening, or supply what creatures are acting wonky? This may speed them up in fixing any bugs. Smile

Thanks for the feedback.
If there is one thing in the world that I know, love conquers all, it trancends time and space, defies all odds, and can bring you back from the darkness, it is the guiding light that helps bring you in from the rough stormy seas of life, and it remains even after you have gone.
~ Adam ~

www.angeluserratus.net
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
zamde
Maestro

Post Posted: Fri May 27, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject:

Speaking of weird issues, I've been getting funky messaging when I get a critical death on something fighting unarmed. I don't have a specific example at hand, but it involves killing something with my 'blunt'.

Your blunt shatters a borkin warrior's spine on impact.

Or thereabouts.

Dixie Pierce says, "I heard Zamde can't have kids cause she lactates poison."

[Telepathy] Yaru Dex projects: I thought Zamde doesn't have kids because her womb is full of aisobs.

You can't spell "slaughter" without 'laughter'.

Llanfair Anti-Cyber Brigade Member #0000
 Back to top »
HR-Beau
The Good Fairy

Post Posted: Fri May 27, 2005 2:22 pm    Post subject:

Are you sure that you're not just high?
If there is one thing in the world that I know, love conquers all, it trancends time and space, defies all odds, and can bring you back from the darkness, it is the guiding light that helps bring you in from the rough stormy seas of life, and it remains even after you have gone.
~ Adam ~

www.angeluserratus.net
 Back to top »
zamde
Maestro

Post Posted: Fri May 27, 2005 2:52 pm    Post subject:

You mean those myriad flashes of color in my peripheral vision aren't a new script check?

Dixie Pierce says, "I heard Zamde can't have kids cause she lactates poison."

[Telepathy] Yaru Dex projects: I thought Zamde doesn't have kids because her womb is full of aisobs.

You can't spell "slaughter" without 'laughter'.

Llanfair Anti-Cyber Brigade Member #0000
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Fri May 27, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
in cases such as had been mentioned earlier with stunned creatures still appearing (in messaging) to defend against an attack, my thought had been that reflected a fumble on the players part.

to my knowledge, there is currently no specific messaging one receives upon fumbling; it still appears to me, from the players side, like the regular 'i try but fail as 'x' dodges the attack' type of message, even though the underlying cause of failure (whether the opponent be stunned or not) is a profession-determined fumble.

As far as I know, the stunned things defending bug is fixed now. I have specifically accounted for fumbles so you shouldn't miss them even on a fumble.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
jade
Soldier of the '?'th Century

Post Posted: Fri May 27, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject: combat stun/defend

im out fighting nowbi and thats what im seeing too. :)thank you!
You say, "For all, temperance."
You say, "But justice is worthy for its own sake."
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sat May 28, 2005 1:00 am    Post subject:

Warner wrote:
That's alright Mickey, you'r forgiven. I believe the phrase is each to his own, so i'll explain.

in the event you're curious as to why the GMs have trouble listening to you, there you go.
Warner
Sneaky Locksmithiness

Post Posted: Sat May 28, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Warner wrote:

in the event you're curious as to why the GMs have trouble listening to you, there you go.

By acknowledging he didn't have time to go to a shooting range?
try again chum
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sat May 28, 2005 2:02 pm    Post subject:

no, by sounding overly childish and obnoxious about things, like you are now with 'try again chum'.
Warner
Sneaky Locksmithiness

Post Posted: Sat May 28, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
no, by sounding overly childish and obnoxious about things, like you are now with 'try again chum'.

I'm quite sure they don't need you to speak for them.
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Combat & Hunting » Combat Updates, Feedback
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 29, 30, 31  Next
Page 30 of 31

Jump to: