FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Combat Updates, Feedback
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 29, 30, 31  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Combat & Hunting » Combat Updates, Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
epol
Self-Proclaimed Crown Jewel

Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject:

Understanding that this is a beta period by both players and GMs might help a bit. I was upset last night, when the area that makes most sense for me to hunt based on the recent treasure changes (read treasure change thread analysis I posted) is now a difficult area to hunt.

So, what do I mean by difficult. Again, being a Guardian of level 23 I must fight unarmed and at Melee. Here are my stats and skills without any psionics or spells.

Agility : 30 (40) Age : 200 seasons
Charisma : 25 (30) Race : Eolai
Coordination : 40 (52) Gender : Male
Intellect : 20 Height : 5'11"
Mentality : 25 Weight : 175 lbs.
Perception : 30 (31) Alignment : Just (Good)
Strength : 30 Restores : 0
Vitality : 30 Revives : 0

Encumbrance: You are minimally encumbered.
Armor Hindrance: You are unhindered by your armor.

Resistances:
Blunt : 26% Cold : 19% Electrical: 19%
Erosion : 19% Heat : 19% Magic : 13%
Mental : 14% Piercing : 26% Poison : 8%
Slashing : 26%

Acrobatics : 67 (73) Psionic Ability : 42
Alchemy : 40 Research : 36
Archery : 4 Riding : 4
Climbing : 10 (9) Security : 44 (46)
Ecology : 50 (40) Skinning : 10
Evasion : 67 (74) Spell Casting : 39
Fishing : 15 Spell Research : 54
Handle Animal : 4 Stealth : 60
Intimidation : 23 Swimming : 10 (12)
Light Armor : 0 (5) Tactics : 20
Occult Lore : 56 Tracking : 4
Parry : 66 (71) Unarmed Combat : 66 (82)

My pummel RT went from 7-8 up to 12
My bodyslam RT went from 4 up to 7-8
Likewise most unarmed moves went up about 50-75%
I tried all my stances, but nothing really reduced RT significantly, so I stay with blade.

To Zamde's point of why would anyone use anything but pummel? Well, if all you use in unarmed, then you will become very tire and off balance if you don't use other moves. I typically set up the creature with hiptoss, jab, and kicks...occasionaly hooks, uppercuts, and roundhouses, then go for the finishing kill with a headbutt and pummel.

Before you jump in and think this is a whino-gram, just hear it out first.

1) It is taking me much longer to kill creatures in the Fen, no doubt about it.
2) Only zerks and warriors will really yield a reward due to the treasure changes.
3) Magic for non-mages was weakened considerably, thus pretty much eliminating my source of range attack.
4) Because it takes so much longer to kill a creature (I estimate 3-4 times longer), I took on significantly more damage, meaning I had to leave earlier to go heal. This reduces reward throughput as well.
5) Before that change today to lower the creature generation rate, I was overwhelmed by creatures because I couldn't take them out fast enough (more damage)

So I talk offline with someon about it last night. They say, he, just reallocate. I tell them that option is no longer there and explain the story of what happened.

Here's the rub, and all the GMs that I have complained to, please see it from a player's perspective THAT has no idea the logic behind each change, except what might be shared in the forum or on the side. THE GAME is in beta....changes are needed, and that is understandable. BUT, those changes have a huge affect on how we build our character traits, flaws, stats, and skills.

Example 1, I reallocated Epol about 3-4 weeks before the magic changes. Based on how magic was working, I felt it was good to invest in it at the time. I took away all my skinning and some other miscellaneous skills, and poured it into magic. The changes came out, and had a profound impact on my magic capabilities. Fair enough.

I am afraid to invest more in psionics because those are to change. AS a player who is here to enjoy themselves at least give us some way of adapting our traits, flaws, stats, and skills to the changes. Reallocation was the way before. I accept, but disagree, with how the situation was dealt with. Personally, I feel the individual should have been delt with, not everyone. Realocations ARE needed to allow the players to adapt. These aren't minor tweaks being done. The changes can greatly weaken 100s of skill points that were invested.

If magic changes significantly, why not give everyone back their magic skill pool to see what they do with it? That's how it is going to play out later/live anyhow. If you change combat significantly, and affection how traits and flaws are calculated, why not let players have the pull of combat skills back, or redo traits and flaws?

This is the most frustrating part to me. Change is inevitable. Especially in beta release of the game. But, we are the beta customers. I do not feel like I understand why changes are made and the goals of them, even though I read the forums and talk with players and GMs. There might be someone out there that liked the magic changes, but I haven't found them yet. WE will be more tolerant and accepting of change if we understand in detail the basis for it, are forewarned when it is coming, and most importantly, can adapt our characters to the changes. Honestly, there are 93 skill points of magic up there on my list that are totally wasted. I don't even study the magic book I have anymore, it just has no real value in my play.

We as the beta custumers must be given the opportunity to adapt our characters to the changes that you Trevor and the GMs are making to steer the game where you want it or where it needs to be. Come go live, you will not have an accurate beta of how your changes will be played out, because character stats, skills, traits, and flaws were not built under the same rules and game is going live under....they were built under ever changing rules. This beta testing period will not be accurate, unless you allow us to change with your changes. Then, you will see how the go live implementation will really play out.
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject:

not to target just one statement, but...

Quote:
If magic changes significantly, why not give everyone back their magic skill pool to see what they do with it?

because, since the majority of players hate any kind of change at all (myself included at times), most players would end up doing things like just taking the points back and investing them in something they still think is fun/untweaked/etc.

it's hard to get player data from a change if the normal player reaction is to abandon ship.
epol

Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject:

And why is it bad that they'd invest the points in that?

Isn't that how it will happen during go live? I realize that not all the same current feelings and biases will exist them, but people WILL learn how best to invest their skills for their chosen race and profession.

Isn't that what the beta players are for? Seeing how the population behaves relative to the changes made to the game?
 Back to top »
epol

Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject:

As a measurement of kill time.

32 seconds of RT to kill an eobis worker
bodyslam 8 seconds
kick 4 seconds
headbutt 4 seconds
pummel 12 seconds
pummel again (1/2 the hits) 6 seconds

This was previously a one or 2 bodyslam kill, with each maneuver being about 3-4 seconds

Eobis workers yield no treasure normally, due to the delta in level between them and me.
 Back to top »
Kit
Cybertech Extraordinaire~

Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject:

Before we go live, the new EXP system will come out...and we'll be able to get all of our points back anyhow. The new XP system will come out AFTER magic and AFTER combat changes, so you'll be okay...whenever nskills is implemented.

Besides, once we hit live, you won't have reallocations anyhow. If you mess up, you just gotta live with it. The cool thing about HR is that you can just forage for a couple of levels and you can right yourself out again.

AIM: KitMurphyHR
Email: yojibalinese@hotmail.com
Technician Database: http://tech.haelrahv.net/
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Warner
Sneaky Locksmithiness

Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject:

this is just disappointing, and a graphic display of something being wrong here

>rem grid
You slide off a greyish-green gridgun with black accents from over your shoulder.
>fire for head
[Telepathy] Earthheart Dominato projects: Nelle come join us, you can sit my by me if your good.
Patiently waiting for a good shot, you fire a greyish-green gridgun with black accents at a middle-aged forager. In short order, you land a superficial hit to her head as a middle-aged forager fails to dodge the attack.
... another shot hits a middle-aged forager in the right eye!
... another shot hits a middle-aged forager in the left foot!
... another shot hits a middle-aged forager in the head!
... another shot hits a middle-aged forager in the right foot!
[You are balanced, healthy, and well rested.]
Roundtime: 1 sec.
>
Stumbling at the last moment, a middle-aged forager throws a quick jab at you. Unsurprisingly, you dodge the attack with ease.
>fire for head
Concentrating on the shot, you fire a greyish-green gridgun with black accents at a middle-aged forager. In a display of true skill, you land a weak hit to her left hand as a middle-aged forager fails to dodge the attack.
... another shot hits a middle-aged forager in the chest!
... another shot hits a middle-aged forager in the abdomen!
>fire for head
You feel fully rested.
Fumbling a bit in the process of taking a shot, you fire a greyish-green gridgun with black accents at a middle-aged forager. Amazingly, you land a superficial hit to her left foot as a middle-aged forager fails to dodge the attack.
... another shot hits a middle-aged forager in the left leg!
... another shot hits a middle-aged forager in the head!
Defender of the Crown Dixie Pierce arrives from the north, leading her group.
>
Defender of the Crown Dixie Pierce leads her group northwest.
[Telepathy] Sean Fiachra projects: Someone bring milk and cookies!
[Telepathy] Nelle Dgnara projects: Like I said, too social.
>
Stumbling at the last moment, a middle-aged forager throws a quick jab at you. Unsurprisingly, you dodge the attack with ease.
[You are fairly well balanced, healthy, and well rested.]
The distinct whirring sound that barely emanates from a greyish-green gridgun with black accents informs you that it is ready to fire again.
>fire
Patiently waiting for a good shot, you fire a greyish-green gridgun with black accents at a middle-aged forager. In short order, you land a weak hit to her head as a middle-aged forager fails to dodge the attack.
... another shot hits a middle-aged forager in the left hand!
A middle-aged forager is completely dazed by the attack!
The distinct whirring sound that barely emanates from a greyish-green gridgun with black accents informs you that it is ready to fire again.
>fire
Fumbling a bit in the process of taking a shot, you fire a greyish-green gridgun with black accents at a middle-aged forager. Amazingly, you land a weak hit to her right eye as a middle-aged forager fails to dodge the attack.
... another shot hits a middle-aged forager in the right hand!
>
>fire
Concentrating on the shot, you fire a greyish-green gridgun with black accents at a middle-aged forager. In a display of true skill, you land a weak hit to her left eye as a middle-aged forager fails to dodge the attack.
... another shot hits a middle-aged forager in the left eye!
... another shot hits a middle-aged forager in the back!
>
A middle-aged forager is no longer stunned.
>round
exp
Moving in quickly, you spin into a roundhouse, aiming for a middle-aged forager. In a display of true skill, you land a weak hit to her left leg as a middle-aged forager fails to dodge the attack.
Roundtime: 8 sec.
>
Experience information for Vyrath Kartklin (Level 23 Human Agent)

Experience : 667590 Skill training points : 3
Next Level : 22410 Stat training points : 6

You feel inspired to learn and experience new things.

Your last image was taken 21 hours, 7 minutes, and 8 seconds ago.
If you were to roll back to this image, you would lose 7123 experience points and 0 levels.
>
Moving gracefully, a middle-aged forager throws a quick jab at you. Shockingly, you dodge the attack in a feat of pure luck.
>fire
... wait 1 second.
fire
>Hoping to make the best of a poor shot, you fire a greyish-green gridgun with black accents at a middle-aged forager. Somehow, you land a superficial hit to her head as a middle-aged forager fails to dodge the attack.
... another shot hits a middle-aged forager in the right arm!
... another shot hits a middle-aged forager in the left arm!
... another shot hits a middle-aged forager in the left eye!
>fire
[Telepathy] Earthheart Dominato projects: Nelle do come. come hang with me and jade.
Siezing a perfect moment, you fire a greyish-green gridgun with black accents at a middle-aged forager. You land a weak hit to her head as a middle-aged forager fails to dodge the attack.
... another shot hits a middle-aged forager in the back!
>fire
Taking advantage of an opening, you fire a greyish-green gridgun with black accents at a middle-aged forager. With finesse, you land a weak hit to her left eye as a middle-aged forager fails to dodge the attack.
... another shot hits a middle-aged forager in the neck!
... another shot hits a middle-aged forager in the left arm!
>
A middle-aged forager wanders off.

13 levels lower and i couldn't even kill it fast enuff with a vale'd gridgun
Kit
Cybertech Extraordinaire~

Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:10 pm    Post subject:

Well damn.

It too me 5 rounds (10 shots total) to kill a borkin warrior. That's 30 levels under me.

AIM: KitMurphyHR
Email: yojibalinese@hotmail.com
Technician Database: http://tech.haelrahv.net/
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
zamde
Maestro

Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject:

Three separate, and deliciously lengthy, logs.

I. Missile range combat, no aiming.
Code:
The Modan Kucho stomps in, and immediately spots you!

Concentrating on the shot, you fire a heavy black TG25 assault rifle at the Modan Kucho.  In a display of true skill, you land a critical hit to his head as the Modan Kucho fails to dodge the attack.
... another shot hits the Modan Kucho in the head!

Patiently waiting for a good shot, you fire a heavy black TG25 assault rifle at the Modan Kucho.  In short order, you land a serious hit to his head as the Modan Kucho fails to dodge the attack.
With a high-pitched cry, The Modan Kucho collapses in death.

II. Melee
A. Using bloodletter:

Code:
Stumbling awkwardly, you slash a grim blackened steel Darjuan bloodletter at the Modan Kucho.  Amazingly, you land a serious hit to his neck as the Modan Kucho fails to dodge the attack.
Moving in quickly, you slash a grim blackened steel Darjuan bloodletter at the Modan Kucho.  In a display of true skill, you land a serious hit to his neck as the Modan Kucho fails to dodge the attack.
[You are incredibly balanced, healthy, and well rested.]
Roundtime: 14 sec.
You feel fully rested.

With confidence, the Modan Kucho rakes a claw at you.  Returning with equal ferocity, you dodge the attack.
In a display of raw power, you slash a grim blackened steel Darjuan bloodletter at the Modan Kucho.  Mercilessly, you land a serious hit to his neck as the Modan Kucho fails to dodge the attack.
The Modan Kucho reels and falls flat on his back!
The Modan Kucho tumbles and rolls into a good position and leaps back to his feet!
Stumbling awkwardly, you slash a grim blackened steel Darjuan bloodletter at the Modan Kucho.  Amazingly, you land a strong hit to his neck as the Modan Kucho fails to dodge the attack.

Moving deliberately and carefully, you slash a grim blackened steel Darjuan bloodletter at the Modan Kucho.  You land a serious hit to his neck as the Modan Kucho fails to dodge the attack.
Running more on luck than skill, you slash a grim blackened steel Darjuan bloodletter at the Modan Kucho.  Somehow, you land a devastating hit to his neck as the Modan Kucho fails to dodge the attack.

B. Unarmed combat, self-taught stance
Code:
The Modan Kucho reaches melee range and stops advancing on you.

Moving deliberately and carefully, you unleash a heavy pummel at the Modan Kucho.  You land a weak hit to his back as the Modan Kucho fails to dodge the attack.
Focused intently, you unleash a heavy pummel at the Modan Kucho.  With little resistance, you land a fair hit to his right hand as the Modan Kucho fails to dodge the attack.
Roundtime: 3 sec.
Stumbling awkwardly, you unleash a heavy pummel at the Modan Kucho.  Amazingly, you land a weak hit to his back as the Modan Kucho fails to dodge the attack.
Striking swiftly, you unleash a heavy pummel at the Modan Kucho.  In short order, you land a weak hit to his back as the Modan Kucho fails to dodge the attack.
Roundtime: 6 sec.

Stumbling at the last moment, the Modan Kucho unleashes a heavy pummel at you.  Unsurprisingly, you dodge the attack with ease.
Awkwardly, the Modan Kucho unleashes a heavy pummel at you.  With skill, you dodge the attack, barely breaking a sweat.
Ferociously as a cornered eteoch, the Modan Kucho unleashes a heavy pummel at you.  Somehow, you dodge the attack barely avoiding disaster.
Almost tripping, the Modan Kucho unleashes a heavy pummel at you.  As expected, you dodge the attack easily.

Rapidly moving, you unleash a heavy pummel at the Modan Kucho.  You land a good hit to his back as the Modan Kucho fails to dodge the attack.
Moving deliberately and carefully, you unleash a heavy pummel at the Modan Kucho.  You land a weak hit to his back as the Modan Kucho fails to dodge the attack.
Focused intently, you unleash a heavy pummel at the Modan Kucho.  With little resistance, you land a weak hit to his back as the Modan Kucho fails to dodge the attack.
Roundtime: 5 sec.

Powerfully, you unleash a heavy pummel at the Modan Kucho.  With finesse, you land a weak hit to his back as the Modan Kucho fails to dodge the attack.
The Modan Kucho tumbles and rolls into a good position and leaps back to his feet!
Moving deliberately and carefully, you unleash a heavy pummel at the Modan Kucho.  You land a good hit to his back as the Modan Kucho fails to dodge the attack.
Moving in quickly, you unleash a heavy pummel at the Modan Kucho.  In a display of true skill, you land a weak hit to his back as the Modan Kucho fails to dodge the attack.
Rapidly moving, you unleash a heavy pummel at the Modan Kucho.  You land a weak hit to his back as the Modan Kucho fails to dodge the attack.
Roundtime: 5 sec.
[You are incredibly balanced, healthy, and slightly tired.]

Focused intently, you unleash a heavy pummel at the Modan Kucho.  With little resistance, you land a weak hit to his back as the Modan Kucho fails to dodge the attack.
In a display of raw power, you unleash a heavy pummel at the Modan Kucho.  Mercilessly, you land a weak hit to his back as the Modan Kucho fails to dodge the attack.
Lashing out fiercely, you unleash a heavy pummel at the Modan Kucho.  In a display of skill, you land a weak hit to his back as the Modan Kucho fails to dodge the attack.
Roundtime: 6 sec.
The Modan Kucho stands back up.
Moving as gracefully as a charging argabu, the Modan Kucho attempts to bite you.  Without hesitation, you dodge the attack.

Everything seems in order to me, aside from the 2-second assault rifle kill seeming off-kilter in proportion to the other two fights.

Dixie Pierce says, "I heard Zamde can't have kids cause she lactates poison."

[Telepathy] Yaru Dex projects: I thought Zamde doesn't have kids because her womb is full of aisobs.

You can't spell "slaughter" without 'laughter'.

Llanfair Anti-Cyber Brigade Member #0000

Last edited by zamde on Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:03 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
will news 16 be updated to reflect the changes made with this combat "update"?

That article primarily covers chance to hit and chance to defend type issues which haven't been adjusted. Only damage and items related to damage (i.e. RT) has been changed.

Quote:
part of me loved seeing 'critical hit!'
can we still have that message?

Maybe. It wasn't convenient at the time and I'd have to apply a messy but workable fix to make it happen without editing a lot of code.

Quote:
1) It is taking me much longer to kill creatures in the Fen, no doubt about it.

Not to discard your point, but it takes everyone except magic/psi users longer to kill things after today's updates. Every profession, every weapon type and unarmed.

Quote:
4) Because it takes so much longer to kill a creature (I estimate 3-4 times longer), I took on significantly more damage, meaning I had to leave earlier to go heal. This reduces reward throughput as well.

The damage rates of NPC's are lower too. The only explanation for more damage would be if before you usually wiped things out before they had any real chance to harm you. Obviously there's a little more incentive to have a medic in your group though. Wink

Quote:
Reallocation related comments

I don't believe it's viable to have no major changes to the game over time. I also don't think it's viable to have something akin to a reallocation available every time either. It just causes a whole host of issues. However, everyone will get to retrain stats soon, and then when the new skills are ready, everyone will get to redo skills, stats, and traits one time.

Quote:
It took me a long time to kill X that is way below my level.

This is intended. You can still kill it easier than stuff your level but it poses a significantly higher challenge than before. I will probably relax some of the box drop rules in light of this change.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
SolitaryTurnip

Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject:

Code:
>In a display of raw power, you unleash a heavy pummel at an eosheai.  Mercilessly, you land a weak hit to his head as an eosheai fails to dodge the attack.
An eosheai is completely dazed by the attack!
An eosheai loses his balance and collapses to the ground in a heap!
Focused intently, you unleash a heavy pummel at an eosheai.  With little resistance, you land a slight hit to his right hind leg as an eosheai fails to dodge the attack.
Roundtime: 2 sec.
Striking swiftly, you unleash a heavy pummel at an eosheai.  In short order, you land a weak hit to his head as an eosheai fails to dodge the attack.
Stumbling awkwardly, you unleash a heavy pummel at an eosheai.  Amazingly, you land a weak hit to his head as an eosheai fails to dodge the attack.
Roundtime: 4 sec.
[You are incredibly balanced, healthy, well rested, and your inner focus is strong.]
>
You fully recover your inner focus.
>
An eosheai is no longer stunned.
>
An eosheai stands back up.
Striking hesitantly, an eosheai rakes a claw at you.  Ready to meet the challenge, you parry the attack.
[You are incredibly balanced, healthy, well rested, and your inner focus is strong.]
pumm eos head
>Moving in quickly, you unleash a heavy pummel at an eosheai.  In a display of true skill, you land a weak hit to his chest as an eosheai fails to dodge the attack.
An eosheai curls up into a ball of ragged fur and dies.

>pumm asap head
Moving deliberately and carefully, you unleash a heavy pummel at an asapi.  You land a good hit to his head as an asapi fails to dodge the attack.
Focused intently, you unleash a heavy pummel at an asapi.  With little resistance, you land a weak hit to his head as an asapi fails to dodge the attack.
Stumbling awkwardly, you unleash a heavy pummel at an asapi.  Amazingly, you land a weak hit to his right eye as an asapi fails to dodge the attack.
Rapidly moving, you unleash a heavy pummel at an asapi.  You land a weak hit to his head as an asapi fails to dodge the attack.
An asapi collapses into an explosion of flying feathers and dies.
[You are well balanced, healthy, well rested, and your inner focus is strong.]

>pumm asap head
Striking swiftly, you unleash a heavy pummel at an asapi.  In short order, you land a weak hit to his head as an asapi fails to dodge the attack.
In a display of raw power, you unleash a heavy pummel at an asapi.  Mercilessly, you land a good hit to his left wing as an asapi fails to dodge the attack.
An asapi reels and falls flat on his back!
Lashing out fiercely, you unleash a heavy pummel at an asapi.  In a display of skill, you land a weak hit to his head as an asapi fails to dodge the attack.
An asapi collapses into an explosion of flying feathers and dies.

>pumm eos head
Focused intently, you unleash a heavy pummel at an eosheai.  With little resistance, you land a weak hit to her head as an eosheai fails to dodge the attack.
Lashing out fiercely, you unleash a heavy pummel at an eosheai.  In a display of skill, you land a good hit to her head as an eosheai fails to dodge the attack.
An eosheai is completely dazed by the attack!
In a display of raw power, you unleash a heavy pummel at an eosheai.  Mercilessly, you land a weak hit to her head as an eosheai fails to dodge the attack.
Lashing out fiercely, you unleash a heavy pummel at an eosheai.  In a display of skill, you land a weak hit to her head as an eosheai fails to dodge the attack.
An eosheai curls up into a ball of ragged fur and dies.

Those were all with 120ish strength, 250ish unarmed, plus damage buffs. I also tested with Kucho, berserkers, foragers, warriors, and workers. An overwhelming amount of weak hits, with a fair/good sprinkled in there sometimes. I'm trying not to complain, but is it right that weak hits seem to be the norm for pummel?

I tested (but not as much) with roundhouse, and I seem to land slight hits with that, with a few scattered criticals and serious hits in asapi, so that seems better than pummel. It just seems a little wonky. It also might help to add that pummel takes me 4 seconds, where a roundhouse takes me 1 second, so I can do the same number of hits in the same amount of time, disregarding lag.
 Back to top »
zamde
Maestro

Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject:

I've always taken the weakness of additional hits to be extra stacks in a cumulative flurry. So if a 'good' hit was worth 20 damage (just using abstract numbers), then
A good hit to the right eye!
... another hit to the wing!
... another hit to the head!
... another hit to the right eye!

would be 80 points of scattered (or potentially concentrated) damage, compared to a 50 point 'serious' hit.

Dixie Pierce says, "I heard Zamde can't have kids cause she lactates poison."

[Telepathy] Yaru Dex projects: I thought Zamde doesn't have kids because her womb is full of aisobs.

You can't spell "slaughter" without 'laughter'.

Llanfair Anti-Cyber Brigade Member #0000
 Back to top »
Gabriel

Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject:

SolitaryTurnip wrote:
Those were all with 120ish strength, 250ish unarmed, plus damage buffs. I also tested with Kucho, berserkers, foragers, warriors, and workers. An overwhelming amount of weak hits, with a fair/good sprinkled in there sometimes. I'm trying not to complain, but is it right that weak hits seem to be the norm for pummel?

Pummel is just the lazy man's punch four times. Because that's all you're doing. Punching four times in a row. The RTs for punching four times and one pummel are the same from what I've seen. 12 RT for 4 punches for me, and 12 second pummels with the occasional freak 11 second. So it kind of makes sense that the damage for pummel and punch is the same.

-Gabriel
 Back to top »
epol

Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:42 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
The damage rates of NPC's are lower too. The only explanation for more damage would be if before you usually wiped things out before they had any real chance to harm you. Obviously there's a little more incentive to have a medic in your group though.

Is one of the goals to encourage more group hunting?

What are the goals of the changes, so we can understand better. And how was the way combat was structured before not accomplishing those goals? At least then, we can suggest alternatives and options.

Quote:
Pummel is just the lazy man's punch four times. Because that's all you're doing. Punching four times in a row. The RTs for punching four times and one pummel are the same from what I've seen. 12 RT for 4 punches for me, and 12 second pummels with the occasional freak 11 second. So it kind of makes sense that the damage for pummel and punch is the same.

I always thought that pummel was not just a lazy man's way of throwing 4 hits, but an earned skill that allowed you to throw 4 hits faster than you normally could. Similiar to other more advanced skills in magic, psionics, etc. With enough unarmed skill, you were rewarded.
 Back to top »
Gabriel

Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject:

epol wrote:
I always thought that pummel was not just a lazy man's way of throwing 4 hits, but an earned skill that allowed you to throw 4 hits faster than you normally could. Similiar to other more advanced skills in magic, psionics, etc. With enough unarmed skill, you were rewarded.

It isn't faster. You're just doing four attacks at one time. But you still get the RT for all of them at once.
 Back to top »
Warner
Sneaky Locksmithiness

Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:58 pm    Post subject:

i think pummel is more along the lines of a fast hard attack

you dont say "i pummeled you with my newspaper"
you would say "i pummeled you with my fists"
where does that fit in?

well if i hit you four times very fast with a newspaper you'd look at me strange
but if i jumped ontop of you and started hammering your face with my fists
i'd call it PUMMELing you

and if the outlook on pummel is that it is a "normal punch"
then where's the reward in training unarmed past
the point to get bodyslam? (read:why waste points?)
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Combat & Hunting » Combat Updates, Feedback
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Page 2 of 31

Jump to: