Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
news 149
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Combat & Hunting » news 149
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daedalus
Local Pimp

Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject:

So, I'm hunting above my level. About 25 levels above my level. I want to know if I'm getting rewarded by doing this, or would I be better off hunting on level? Better off being, same amount of treasure, less chance of dying. That kind of stuff.
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject:

Okay, let me jump in here and address the various points recently made about the treasure updates.

Nelle wrote:
This is where I stand now and -please- don't take this as complaining, I'm just stating.

I was hunting gragroks and having a wonderful time wtih the boxes and all but with the changes they no longer drop any even though they still teach pretty nicely. So.. time to move on since it's the boxes that Nelle hunts for.

With much experiment I've come to the conclusion that guards are the best option for now. I can kill them, there's a minor amount of risk and they do drop boxes.

Now I just have to figure how how many more points I'll have to put into security to open them and do that next promotion. In the meantime I'm storing them in the locker.

It took me out of my comfort zone, bottom line. I'm actually working hard to fight the feeling that with these latest changes Nelle's being shoved out from her favorite pasttime and find a good solution.

This is NOT complaining. Challenge is good. Growth is good. Change is good. It's us humans that screw it up with our comfort zones. Wink

Nelle:

Believe me when I say I do understand where you're coming from. Most of us are creatures of habit, and I myself am in this category. When I play a game, I look to establish familiarity. And to be honest, if I didn't think of things on a "fairness" or balance-oriented way, I'd probably really dislike having to change hunting areas even if I knew it was to be expected. Some players enjoy constant new risks and adventures, but some like myself like to feel like I understand what I'm up against. I don't mind risk, I just like to know what the risks are.

However, switching back to the GM in me, I know this sort of gameplay becomes stagnant and boring after a while, and the ultimate goal would be to try to make adjustments both necessary and yet as easy to cope with as possible. We've been adding new options for hunting and we're going to continue to do so, even when there's already a creature of X alignment and Y level range. I do think we can improve on how we set up hunting areas significantly, but I also recognize we've had to settle for less than our best from a design standpoint due to the issue of time, primarily.

What I mean here is that ideally we'd have several options for you to choose from for your level range. For instance, hunting in more dangerous areas where the place mixes with aggressive creatures that are beyond your skill could net more treasure for that risk. Areas further out from civilization should also yield more reward. However, one should be able to choose a little less risk and travel in return for less loot too. The only option that shouldn't be on the table is the best of everything in those three categories. Some of what I just mentioned we do have in place to a limited degree but much of it is not.

I recently hired two new area builders to enhance our existing area builder team, and they are primarily working on new hunting spots. Some will be very close to Llanfair, some remote. The actual challenges will vary too, as will the perks of each choice available.

The major reason for some of these recent changes, however, was to curb farming of low level creatures. It was quite common for someone level 60 or 70 to hunt things level 30 because they were 100% safe and killing lots of them quickly to get lots of boxes was easy. This not only imbalanced the economy, but it screwed up the release of ultra rares too. A lot of ultra rares became not even remotely rares in the process. I'm still working on exact numbers because in some cases there could be problems in how often items are released (for example, a 8 level gap may yield plenty of boxes, a 15 level gap few boxes, and yet something in the middle -- say an 11 level gap, might not provide an in the middle box yield as you'd expect it would) however at this point I'm not aware of any problems in these drop rates. I'm still analyzing to make sure there is no problem there however.

One more thing that does need to be stated: When these decisions are made, we don't make them with you picking your own boxes in mind. I know a lot of people would like to pick their own boxes, but we don't intend this to be the norm except for Agents and possibly Technicians. Thus, you'll probably not be able to pick all the boxes you find you find unless you a) are an Agent or Tech; b) you have set up your character's stats in a way that makes you an above average disarmer/picker; or c) you are getting boxes from creatures a bit under your skill level.

The one other factor is Psionics who have Unlock. Unlock is intended to be viable means to open boxes about your skill level, but it is intended to be more of a nuisance than picking by means of failures so you may need a few tries to get a lock. It's also intended to not work on 100% of the boxes you find, hench psi resistant materials.

So, to summarize, if you are not an Agent or Tech, or a patient Psionic, you should either plan on underhunting so you can pick your boxes, or plan on getting the help of others in picking your boxes. Lockpicking and disarm is intended to be a perk for the Agent profession, and to a lesser degree Techs / Psionics.

Epolon wrote:
But, now it doesn't seem fair not to be able to fight in the fen when I am not much above the critters there.

Why can't you hunt in the Fen? Your box drop rate will be decent there. If it hasn't been, you've simply been getting poor rolls.

Epolon wrote:
The other issue that is tough in all this, is you have to now fight with someone that is your same size, otherwise the higher person gets little treasure. Though, again, you can have the smaller person do all the searching and beat the system that way.

Unless the higher level person is well over the lower level one, this is not a significant issue. The loophole you mentioned *will* be fixed.

Epolon wrote:
Couldn't we make the bandwidth to allow -5 from your current level?

Actually, there is exactly a five level pad in there and it's even sweet than you were asking for. At under five levels you get a scaling bonus to find boxes. At exactly five levels you have neither a bonus or penalty. At more than five levels there is a scaling penalty. You could be 10 levels over what you're fighting and only have a 30% less chance of getting a box despite that difference. So there is padding. In your case, You can kill pretty much anything in the Fen and have roughly anywhere from a 0% to 30% penalty on finding boxes, depending on what you were killing there. That's not too bad.

Daedalus wrote:
So, I'm hunting above my level. About 25 levels above my level. I want to know if I'm getting rewarded by doing this, or would I be better off hunting on level? Better off being, same amount of treasure, less chance of dying. That kind of stuff.

You don't get credit for overhunting. You shouldn't be able to kill stuff this high over you to begin with... we're definitely not going to reward you for it. You get credit as if you were hunting something exactly your level.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
Daedalus
Local Pimp

Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject:

HR-Trevor wrote:
You don't get credit for overhunting. You shouldn't be able to kill stuff this high over you to begin with... we're definitely not going to reward you for it. You get credit as if you were hunting something exactly your level.

Basically, we get punished for underhunting, but don't get rewarded for over hunting? I get nothing for taking my chances with paladins, besides spending more money on ammo and hospitals bills? I never really liked punishment without a chance of reward.
Nelle
Ooh Nuuurse..

Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject:

Trevor,

I thank you for the well thought out and written response. I do understand the need for the changes and the reasons behind them. It looks like I'll need to do some more thinking and possible make some changes in how I play Nelle again which is not necessarily a bad thing.

I'm well aware that medics weren't made to be majorly combat oriented and that if I wish to actually do that I should reallocate her, but again it's that comfort zone thing. I like having her as a medic and I'm not sure I'd enjoy another guild as much but I've tossed the idea around a few times now I will again. I also really enjoyed having this silly little medic that hunts in high heels and a skirt simply because she can. It's a very nice break from the Empath I play in DR.

Her picking her own boxes was a very recent change and it was actually a last ditch effort to not reallocate her and I found the change very enjoyable. I have a very odd playing style and I like collecting the bits and pieces that the boxes give. It's a sort of a game within a game for me - see what the boxes give for alchemy components and then make those particular potions. With the way things were set up I could gradually move her up a little higher to a new level creature to learn on and play with the boxes. And again, I know that medics aren't 'built' for security. If possible, I'll stubbornly continue to try and make it happen within her limited ability. If not, then I'll look to make changes with her.

Overall, I do think the changes are good and I believe once we all get used to them we'll all find that comfort zone again or the risk zone, or the death defying zone.

Thank you for all the hard work that goes into this game. That's to all of the GMs. And thank you for taking the time to explain and to help us adjust to the changes.
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:45 am    Post subject:

Basically, we get punished for underhunting, but don't get rewarded for over hunting? I get nothing for taking my chances with paladins, besides spending more money on ammo and hospitals bills? I never really liked punishment without a chance of reward.

Daedalus, when someone uses the word "punished" like you are, they aren't thinking about fairness at all. If you really believe that you should be able to hunt way under your level and not be assessed any kind of penalty for it, then there's no point in us discussing overhunting.

I'm not obligated to respond to every player's concerns, and you're going to find yourself talking to a wall if you're going to continue to try to make your point with this sort of tone.

Nelle wrote:
If possible, I'll stubbornly continue to try and make it happen within her limited ability. If not, then I'll look to make changes with her.

I think she'll be able to pick roughly as well as she can hunt, maybe a little under. But then again, once the new skills stuff is in she'll be able to hunt and pick well if that's what you spend your time practicing. Thanks for the supportive comments too, by the way.

Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:16 am    Post subject:

i do agree completely about penalties for underhunting, but it would be cool if we could have some incentives for really pushing ourselves into overhunting.

i mean, take the mystery mage who is hunting royal guards. i'm sure there's some level of risk or at least a concious attempt to build your character in a manner to manage that situation. it would be cool to be rewarded for such.

i also know there's a certain tracker (Wink) who is hunting and being very tracker-ish about it, and thus capable of hunting things that are a huge threat to him if he hunted like everyone else. he should, in my mind, get a nice pat on the back from it.

maybe don't make the drop rate increase as much as the decrease, but even a little bit of something might be cool to get.
Daedalus
Local Pimp

Post Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:37 am    Post subject:

HR-Trevor wrote:
Daedalus, when someone uses the word "punished" like you are, they aren't thinking about fairness at all. If you really believe that you should be able to hunt way under your level and not be assessed any kind of penalty for it, then there's no point in us discussing overhunting.

I'm not obligated to respond to every player's concerns, and you're going to find yourself talking to a wall if you're going to continue to try to make your point with this sort of tone.

It wasn’t in a bad tone or meant to be, atleast. I’m just trying to figure out what all is going on with these changes. I never really way underhunted and I don't think I should be able to. I was around level 40, switching between guards, beetles, and koru hunters (which I thought were 35-ish) and I only usually hunted things other than guards for something to do while my mind drained. I don’t care that I can’t go plow through chiths and harvest a shit load of stuff. I don’t care that I no longer find two rares everytime I go through boxes. They’re just taking up space in my locker.

So maybe punishment wasn’t the right word for this 'evening out' of things. It just doesn’t seem right. I underhunt, I don’t find much of anything. I hunt on level, I find a decent amount of treasure. I hunt far above my level, and I’m still finding a decent amount? If I'm able to kill something about 25 levels above me, I don't think it would be much to ask for that extra pile of cash or one more box when searching, or whatever.

I like finding items, because I like to see what you guys come up with. What I'm not liking, is how this change screws with group hunting and profit made while hunting. In the end, I honestly don't care. I'll still hunt. I'm just telling you what I think.
the blue fairy
Grandmistress

Post Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 4:04 am    Post subject:

2:45 am--start hunting

numbers represent eack kucho not how many of eack item

1=box
2=vest
3=sabre
4-=fruit
5=(without buckler)paper
6=caisson
7=nothing
8=ingot
<lag in critters>
9=ivy
10=case
11=get slab
12=stone
13=ingot
<lag in critters>
14= nothing
15=guards
16=casket
17=caisson
18=ingot
19=nothing
20=skinning knife

3:00 am stop hunting

This is me fighting Kuchos(lil below) with luck trait and lucky buckler

I dont think treasure so much has dropped as box finding. Either way I didnt do to bad tonight, granted this is me snap shotting with a rifle, other than how I would like to hunt from shadowswith a blade, so its a lil faster killing. Kuchos 1-20 never touched me but the next one landed a hit, course I have a tiny burden now.

Stilldawn

A set of breast implants fall from the sky with a soft plop.

Caretaker Jornnoj Vunn looks up at the sky.

A passing guard suddenly shits himself.
 Back to top »
Nelle
Ooh Nuuurse..

Post Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:57 am    Post subject:

I never have found an ultra rare anything but I don't mind that. I'm not skilled with bartering so I'd probably end up just giving it away if I couldn't use it or handing it to Tshar to trade off with someone anyway.

I'm looking forward to the new skill system kicking in, every time I see the message that my X skill has improved I get excited for a brief moment before remembering that it didn't really. Yet. Smile
epol
Self-Proclaimed Crown Jewel

Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:37 pm    Post subject:

Ok...here's what my testing and experiences have shown since I last talked.

At a Level 22 Guardian with Lucky Trait (no bonus bucklers or cords or such)

Hunting in the Fen is the place for me. Doesn't pay as well as it used to becaue workers, hunters, and foragers turn up empty alot. Berzerkers and warriors are what is needed to get decent drops. Have never died there, but take some damage, especially once I get to somewhat burdened. Don't have to rely on pummel, but if there are more than 4 or so critters around, pummel is used more frequently to get the critter count down. Based on what I know, Berserkers and warriors are the only things that are within the (-5) level tolerance, before the penalty would kick in. Thus why the workers, hunters, and foragers drop less....though, the lesser creatures can still get some good hits in when you are fighting 2 Berserkers and a warrior.

Grags just doesn't pay yet. Takes too long to take them out yet. They do more damage to me. And, they are less abundant. All combined, the risk and damage vs. the gain is worse than the Fen. Experience wise, they do well, but the quantity factor in the fen more than makes up for this. Grags are above my level, I can beat them....but, no real incentive to take the risk seeing that the value per period of time spent is lower. With security max'd, I can't pick the boxes, though I've had no problem finding a helping hand when needed.

Arackuses (or is it Aracki ?) definately aren't worth it. I can beat them after a fairly long battle. If 2 hatch on me, it's time to move rooms or hide. Plenty of being stunned and bleeding. BUT, I'd do it and take the risk if there was an upside to it. Problem is I can do better in the Fen in a shorter time, with less damage, even with not getting drops from the lesser creatures there.

Kamos on Chodaku are decent. Just a bit of a pain to take risks up on Chodaku. Low population there, so it's hard to find a medic or worse someone to rift/call you back to CC. Though, I'll admit unless it is in the wee hours, I always find a helping hand when I really need one. Actually, one of the biggest problems is that because it takes a while to get there (unless you get mage/tracker help), it is a pain to get the boxes you collect picked. If you can't pick your own, then you reach a burden point where you really must find someone to pick the boxes for you and sell off some of the stuff (crat time too). I do love Chodaku and it would be great if there were quick ways for the general population to get there and back to Llanfair (well, back is easy via rifting).

No bitching or moaning going on here, just telling my experiences, decision making, and such based on how the changes affect my behavior. Possible suggestion, that I think is in line with what others have voiced is, there should be at least a small bonus to hunting something bigger and badder than you are yourself. This doesn't need to, and probably shouldn't, increase as fast as the penalty decreases for the same level difference. But, I enjoy trying differeent areas and creatures. I like to challenge my character. There is a different thrill to hunting above yourself, which alone is worth still doing it sometimes...problem is you might have more in hospital bills than the treasure you make. A small lucky increase for hunting say +5, +10, +20, etc. would add a bit of spice to the choice of where to hunt that night. As always though, you have to becareful of how can this be abused. I understand that...could someone manipulate their skills or the parameters of the game to reduce their risk and still hunt significantly above their level?
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the feedback. Smile

Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject:

HR-Trevor wrote:
I have also adjusted the following:

an Eofaelsh acolyte (now weaker)

this is an old post but i'm wondering if they area beyond the doors in the cathedral will ever actually be open for normal hunting.
Warner
Sneaky Locksmithiness

Post Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:56 pm    Post subject:

You search a mottled gragrok and find $32 in cash!
You search a mottled gragrok and find some tandrum weed!
A mottled gragrok corpse decays away.
>look weed
Some tandrum weed is poisonous if ingested.
There appears to be eleven units worth of tandrum weed.

thats...sad, anyways at level 23 with a pulse gun in hand
which critter should i hunt for optimal treasure? IYO?
im actually asking for advice heh since um i dont feel like continuing to challenge myself overhunting and getting underpaid.
Kit
Cybertech Extraordinaire~

Post Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:03 am    Post subject:

http://tech.haelrahv.net/creatures.html

Elder kamos...or koru hunters. Yeah, you pretty much are in a gap like I am. Kit hunted in the fen...eh...he still does to maintain his alignment actually. I'd just stick with being there for a bit.

AIM: KitMurphyHR
Email: yojibalinese@hotmail.com
Technician Database: http://tech.haelrahv.net/
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Warner
Sneaky Locksmithiness

Post Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:19 am    Post subject:

019 Borkin Warrior Evil Yes Yes Yes Pierce Electric
022 Elder Kamohakun Evil Yes No Yes Blunt Cold
I pointed out both blunt and electric for two reasons.
Since the change hunting with unarmed IMO is too fatigue draining
and as of yet i dont have the strength to bodyslam an elder kamo
I dont use potions incombat because i hate the (you have to swallow this after x minutes) crap just to keep moving at standard efficiency.
im assuming unarmed does blunt damage, electrical damage resistance means i'd have to dig the pea shooter back out, which i dont really mind doing anyways.
Still think there should be a +x level pad for overhunters that goes higher then 5,but we're not supposed to be able to hunt five levels higher as i understand it.
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Combat & Hunting » news 149
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: