Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
news 149
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Combat & Hunting » news 149
View previous topic :: View next topic  
epol
Self-Proclaimed Crown Jewel

Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:03 am    Post subject:

I have not had good luck with the new drop rates. As a level 22 guardian, I've really just been able to recently (since about 19 or 20), hunt in Fens alone without a significant risk of dying. After hunting and killing close to 40 random critters, I had one box.

Now, if I take along a lower level person with me and let them do all the searching, I can get alot more boxes, but I don't think this was really the intent of the changes.

A Mage suggested I hunt Guards, which would be quite a bit higher than my level. He gets lots of boxes from them and is a lower level than I am. But, being a guardian, you really can't fight at levels much higher than what you are.

If someone has found a proven way to do this, I'd be interested. Stealth, Leap, and magic have not been of significant help, where I can fight a levels higher than myself without pretty significant damage and/or death occuring.

I thoroughly enjoy hunting and would like this to be how I earn income. Foraging and making potions is the obvious proven method of making money fast, but it is not as exciting for some as it is for others.

Is it possible to adjust the box drop based on the level of engagement when the critter is killed? Warrirors and berserkers in Fen always engage at Melee. A mage retreating and casting and hiding will never be hit and can cast some pretty powerful spells at levels half of their prey, gaining nice boxes. Where as a guardian must stand toe to toe with the same creatures and can only go into fen when in their upper teens without a pretty good chance they will die that day at least once.

seems like not all of the variables are being accounted for when the box drop rate adjustments were made.
 Back to top »
Daedalus
Local Pimp

Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:24 am    Post subject:

epol wrote:
A Mage suggested I hunt Guards, which would be quite a bit higher than my level. He gets lots of boxes from them and is a lower level than I am.

If the Mage you're talking about, is the one I've been watching (was hoping he would die, so I could laugh) ... Something needs some looking into. Especially if he is under 22.
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:47 am    Post subject:

Daedalus wrote:
epol wrote:
A Mage suggested I hunt Guards, which would be quite a bit higher than my level. He gets lots of boxes from them and is a lower level than I am.

If the Mage you're talking about, is the one I've been watching (was hoping he would die, so I could laugh) ... Something needs some looking into. Especially if he is under 22.

what's (s)he doing? just casting some 'stronger'-level attack spell over and over?
Daedalus
Local Pimp

Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:53 am    Post subject:

Some ice spell. Cast, retreat, cast, cast, cast, retreat.
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:36 am    Post subject:

this is from around one hour and 360 bullets in paladins. i don't tend to take any commods or coolers i find, because i hate running back to town because of my overburdened self.

weapons:
Code:
a heavy borkin-made spiked club x2
a borkin-made throwing axe x3
a silver handled black argabu-hide bullwhip

armor:
Code:
a pair of high quality telyron tactical leg guards
a high quality telyron tactical neck guard x2

other:
Code:
a super-charged battery x2
a platinum tiara channel-set with glistening black diamonds x3
a sober pill x4
a jumbo-sized jar of Majesty brand dermagel x2
a shimmering silver pendant etched with strange markings x2
a llichnai slab
a slab of pink eorit stone
an aerok talon suspended by a twisted black cord

plus $3,500ish in loose cash.
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:28 am    Post subject:

I will look further into drop rates as soon as I can. There are no plans to adjust treasure based on engagement range (hunting at range is valid) but I will look into the balance of spells (more in their ability to strike higher end targets than in damage terms) as well. Not to rat anyone out -- I won't take any action against this person -- but if someone is willing to PM me the name of this mystery mage I will be able to examine their stats and skills to find the imbalancing factor more quickly.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
Kit
Cybertech Extraordinaire~

Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:11 am    Post subject:

HR-Trevor wrote:
Not to rat anyone out -- I won't take any action against this person -- but if someone is willing to PM me the name of this mystery mage I will be able to examine their stats and skills to find the imbalancing factor more quickly.

If it's who I'm thinking of, he's paced Kit from borkin hunters. I start hunting in one place and a few days later he does. I'm pretty sure Kit's much higher level than he is, however, I always assumed mage spells were able to smack down things I can't.

AIM: KitMurphyHR
Email: yojibalinese@hotmail.com
Technician Database: http://tech.haelrahv.net/
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Nelle
Ooh Nuuurse..

Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:12 am    Post subject:

This is where I stand now and -please- don't take this as complaining, I'm just stating.

I was hunting gragroks and having a wonderful time wtih the boxes and all but with the changes they no longer drop any even though they still teach pretty nicely. So.. time to move on since it's the boxes that Nelle hunts for.

With much experiment I've come to the conclusion that guards are the best option for now. I can kill them, there's a minor amount of risk and they do drop boxes.

Now I just have to figure how how many more points I'll have to put into security to open them and do that next promotion. In the meantime I'm storing them in the locker.

It took me out of my comfort zone, bottom line. I'm actually working hard to fight the feeling that with these latest changes Nelle's being shoved out from her favorite pasttime and find a good solution.

This is NOT complaining. Challenge is good. Growth is good. Change is good. It's us humans that screw it up with our comfort zones. Wink
Xenoapollyon

Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:20 pm    Post subject:

with pretty decent coordination and perception, I needed about 104 to decently get guard boxes

Sean
Nelle
Ooh Nuuurse..

Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject:

Oh man...

Let me change that to a few more promotions rather than one.
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject:

Nelle, I'm about to head out the door, but I'll respond in more detail when I'm back. I don't take your post as complaining though.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
epol
Self-Proclaimed Crown Jewel

Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:45 pm    Post subject:

Trevor...thanks for listening first of all. There have been a number of things frustrating topic for me as a Guardian. A heart to heart with Hannah last night convinced me to raise this to your attention.

With reguard to the boxes though, perhaps we need the lower tolerance relaxed. I don't have the time all the time, to risk hunting in areas I might die. Epolon is played a couple hours a night and as most know is far behind in growth compared to others that have been living as long as he has. That's fine, it's what I have and am happy with it. But dying costs time, so I try to avoid it at all costs.

I don't go into areas that I am not sure I have a very good chance of living. It wasn't right though that I could go down in the sewers and fight workers to collect 2 dozen boxes in a 1/2 hour full of goodies. But, now it doesn't seem fair not to be able to fight in the fen when I am not much above the critters there. Next step is grags or kamos. Kamos are a pain being up on chodaku, since you really don't want to die up there alone...it's not very populated and though everyone is great, it is a pain to help someone that died up there. Grags a re bit strong right now to fight.

The other issue that is tough in all this, is you have to now fight with someone that is your same size, otherwise the higher person gets little treasure. Though, again, you can have the smaller person do all the searching and beat the system that way. Couldn't we make the bandwidth to allow -5 from your current level? To allow some overlap between hunting areas? The fen is tough to hunt in until you can handle everything in there. Critters aren't sectionalize. This happens in other parts of the game as well, causing players to either make sure they have someone with them to kill the bigger boys, risk dying alone, or hunt somewhere that they can't reap much reward.

Thanks again for listening.....BTW, Hannah should be given an honorary Psychotherapist Title.
 Back to top »
Aire

Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject:

After spending about ten minutes today hunting what I usually hunt, Gragroks, I could't figure out why people were complaining, I got plenty of stuff...maybe less than I was used to getting, but still enough to keep me in Binkie burgers for a long time. Granted, they're something like seven levels lower than I am, but I'm still wondering what the fuss is about.
 Back to top »
Kit
Cybertech Extraordinaire~

Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:31 pm    Post subject:

Aire wrote:
After spending about ten minutes today hunting what I usually hunt, Gragroks, I could't figure out why people were complaining, I got plenty of stuff...maybe less than I was used to getting, but still enough to keep me in Binkie burgers for a long time. Granted, they're something like seven levels lower than I am, but I'm still wondering what the fuss is about.

Because a lot of people were hunting things half their level.

AIM: KitMurphyHR
Email: yojibalinese@hotmail.com
Technician Database: http://tech.haelrahv.net/
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Nelle
Ooh Nuuurse..

Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject:

I was always under the assumption, because someone had told me a while back that medics could not hunt 'at level' so I simply hunted what still taught me and dropped boxes.
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Combat & Hunting » news 149
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: