Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
news 149
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Combat & Hunting » news 149
View previous topic :: View next topic  
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:17 am    Post subject: news 149

i can't say i'm thrilled over this change, because there's nothing evil that has good box drops at my level. sure, i can hunt nowbi, but they give treasure drops (in my experiences) similar to royal guards. in other words, sucky (no offense to mickey. they're fun to hunt but i want to hunt for cash and prizes, not for the joy of shooting in the face).

the other problem is that now i have to keep security (and, once nskill comes out, locksmithing and disarm) as high as my combats because if i have to hunt at my level to get treasure, then i have to pop them open at my level as well.

i agree that it should be worth hunting at your level to get good boxes rather than hunt horribly under your level to get good stuff from a horde of bad boxes, but i don't like the way it is functioning now. rather, i'd prefer that the 'better' treasure just be reserved for higher level critters. it would be a bad thing for the low level guys, but at least it gives a reason to keep training combats.
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:32 am    Post subject:

Nowbi are a case of low tresaure yield (in terms of relative quality) for their level. I don't know if this is by design or not, but it is as it is. Some creatures do have unusually good or bad drops for their level by design. More options for things to hunt will be coming soon.

However, I don't believe that higher level players have a right to hoard all the ultra rares. They have a higher chance of getting them on the whole.

I don't think the issue of lockpicking / disarm is necessarily an issue at all. You always have the option on relying on others, especially agents, it's your choice to be self-reliant. That's a valid choice, but a costly one.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:37 am    Post subject:

HR-Trevor wrote:
I don't think the issue of lockpicking / disarm is necessarily an issue at all. You always have the option on relying on others, especially agents, it's your choice to be self-reliant. That's a valid choice, but a costly one.

but then there's also the situation where someone may just want to go up to, say 120 in their combats, and hunt X critter until forever. now they're theoretically being obligated to keep getting better to continue treasure hunting. i might just be over dramatizing it, but to me that makes someone have to become cookie cutter, by forcing them to always have to get better to keep functioning.

Quote:
However, I don't believe that higher level players have a right to hoard all the ultra rares. They have a higher chance of getting them on the whole.

i didn't want to imply that, but i can see where you saw me saying it. maybe make the UR hopper still open to all, but make different Uncommon/Rare hoppers with more/less items available depending upon the critter's level.

it makes sense that you don't want people (esp. power players like me) running around killing off everything in sight for treasure, but it does sorta feel frustrating to have to always keep getting better at fighting in order to keep functioning as a fighter.
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:44 am    Post subject:

Quote:
but then there's also the situation where someone may just want to go up to, say 120 in their combats, and hunt X critter until forever. now they're theoretically being obligated to keep getting better to continue treasure hunting. i might just be over dramatizing it, but to me that makes someone have to become cookie cutter, by forcing them to always have to get better to keep functioning.

Given how the new skill system works and the fact you can't turn off learning a skill by use, I don't think this really is too much of an issue.

Quote:
i didn't want to imply that, but i can see where you saw me saying it. maybe make the UR hopper still open to all, but make different Uncommon/Rare hoppers with more/less items available depending upon the critter's level.

it makes sense that you don't want people (esp. power players like me) running around killing off everything in sight for treasure, but it does sorta feel frustrating to have to always keep getting better at fighting in order to keep functioning as a fighter.

I do understand how you're feeling, but let me explain the issue from our side more fully. Everything we do in this instance of the game delays development of live. Rewriting the treasure system completely isn't nearly as expansive as some of the other things on the docket but it is big. Quite big. So question becomes, is it worth the time investment? Now that I asked that question if our playerbase overwhelming says "hey, delay live, give us a more detail treasure system here", then well, sure, no problem I'll be glad to make that happen. But at this time I don't know that that is how the majority of our players feel.

Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:10 am    Post subject:

here's how it is for me right now.

1) beetles don't drop treasure anymore. understandable.
2) nowbi don't drop [good] treasure in box drops because they're set to. understandable, because they live in a remote village. but, this hurts me because i have to hunt them (possibly). beyond that, they're at melee with me automatically. so now i have to train agility, unlike before.
3) kucho, which most likely will maul me, requires me to train climbing to 50 (so i was told). so now not only do i have to keep more stats and skills up to snuff, but i have to train even more skills.

i hunted beetles under the knowledge that they're the local evil thing i can manage to fight. i was fine with the tradeoff (which was worse boxes than higher level creatures in the area). now, i have to hunt the bigger things, so i have to train more stats/skills.

i know the logic as to why this is needed, but, in my eyes, all this does is obligate more people to be cookie cutter in order to function. everyone will have to keep training defensive stats and defense skills plus a combat plus whatever other things are needed to even enter the area in order to keep getting treasure while hunting. before it was "well, if you stop training, you'll have to deal with only getting what you're capable of getting at that milestone" and now it's "you won't get anything at that milestone and you HAVE to reach the next one".

to me, that's like saying someone can't keep tailoring a washcloth unless they keep their tailoring skill up to snuff with their level. or that the washcloths can't be sold for anything because at their level the store guys would only want pants or better.

edit: i am capable of getting boxes from the Eofaelsh Paladins. i'm fine with having to train more security, since i was meaning to, anyway. the only downside to having to hunt them is that they're good aligned. i don't want to have to train roleplay for functionality, but i have to in this case for the time being.
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:16 am    Post subject:

Yaru, you do realize you're pretty upset over a change that you've not even had a chance to test yet, right? Modifiers relating to level are not in place yet.

Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:18 am    Post subject:

HR-Trevor wrote:
Yaru, you do realize you're pretty upset over a change that you've not even had a chance to test yet, right? Modifiers relating to level are not in place yet.

then i must have been having the shittiest hunting run ever in beetles, since after killing two dozen i got around $300 and three boxes.

sorry if i come off as ranting, but i'd rather write something long and explain my viewpoint than just saying "it isn't working right to me!"
Kit
Cybertech Extraordinaire~

Post Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:21 am    Post subject:

soundless wrote:
HR-Trevor wrote:

then i must have been having the shittiest hunting run ever in beetles, since after killing two dozen i got around $300 and three boxes.

sorry if i come off as ranting, but i'd rather write something long and explain my viewpoint than just saying "it isn't working right to me!"

I'll have to agree with Yaru. I hunted for almost an hour today before I gave up in frustration because I had only found four boxes. The stuff in the boxes were all pretty good though...and that leads me to pout because I find even less gadget parts now than I did before because I'm just not finding the junk.

Does creature level correspond to what your combat skills are at , or at your profession level?

Maybe it wouldn't sting so much if creatures either dropped more cash at a go or dropped more gem-type items? Just a suggestion.

AIM: KitMurphyHR
Email: yojibalinese@hotmail.com
Technician Database: http://tech.haelrahv.net/
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ragonda
A fearful red dragon

Post Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:11 am    Post subject:

dreg has a problem she has been hunting in zerkers for months now as she is unsure what else she may be able to successsfully hunt without numerous deaths Twisted Evil

she just promoted to 29th so any ideas on what she should be hunting?
 Back to top »
Xenoapollyon

Post Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:45 am    Post subject:

just for my twocents here.

Yeah it would be reallyubercool to go hunting now and have a totally revampet treasure system and get the uberblade of butt kicking death, but heres what I've noticed.

Economy isnt top notch currently.
Treasure system is kinda iffy in some circumstances.
Few other playability things here and there are iffy time to time.

But the way I look at is this. It would be cool to get those systems redone, but not at the expense of Live. When in the end, anything nice that I can hunt up now, or get alteres or made now is sweet in the fact that I can, but When it comes to live, its gonna all be gone and starting over.

Granted the extimates I've heard for live put it far enough off that the quality of treasure and systems now are very important, but I dont think that importance outweighs the value of live coming out within a reasonable amount of time.

The problems in the treasure system now arent too too huge in my opinion. I almost never find rares every, and never an ultrarare, but thats the way it goes.

I'm just thinking back to the combat change when everyone almost was in an uproar before they really had a chance to see it, and before tweaking was done. There may be some issues currently with treasure systems, and maybe will be some when this change is complete as well, but I think that can be fixed by some tweakes, but only afer its all implimented and its given a chance

Not saying anyones opinion isnt vaulable, just saying everyone should give it a little bit longer before starting to get grumpy over the system. I'm not saying the system is great as is, but its too early to start getting upset over things before they are released fully and have time to be checked out and tweaked.

If anyone wants to tally how many times I said the same thing, lemme know, I tend to babble.

Sean

Shocked
Xenoapollyon

Post Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:49 am    Post subject:

Dreg. Give Grags in the fen a try and see how those go for ya. Your agility should be pretty kickin so you can probably hunt a little over your level. After there, Maybe give baby arakus a try. Beatles after that, then skeletons. Even though beetles are a little higher than alteri skeletons, the jaddan skeletons give that area punch, and they tend (from what I've seen) to giggle at range attacks for the most part. Not sure if they have any kind of special resistances for nto having flesh, but guns and arrows from what I've seen just dont do as much to them as other things. Blades either. Kashaga drop alot faster to guns and blades than skeletons from what I've seen.

Once you get 30, you get a major level bonus when hunting outdoors due to the skill you gain, as long as your stealthy. I can hunt an easy 10 levels over what I can actually evade Due to my stealth, somethign to think about when picking your hunting area.

EDIT: If your worried about taking too big ofa jump from the Fen to Grags, Kamo's in the ship off shodaku are a nice place to play. They tend to have decent drop rates from what I've seen and they are never in short supply.Here is how it ranks out:

Critter / level

berserker 16ish
warrior 19ish
Kamo's 16 and 22
Grags 30
Beetles 35
alteri skeleton 34
jaddan skeleton 38

The next real step I took after skeletons was Royal guards, but I spent some time as a non combat so I skipped that middle ground from skeletons to guards. After that I went to Kashaga using snipe

Sean

Shocked
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:57 am    Post subject:

[quote="Xenoapollyon"Not saying anyones opinion isnt vaulable, just saying everyone should give it a little bit longer before starting to get grumpy over the system. I'm not saying the system is great as is, but its too early to start getting upset over things before they are released fully and have time to be checked out and tweaked.[/quote]

...so, you do realize that because i post my concerns, that it doesn't automatically mean i hate the system, i'm flipping out, and i plan to burn trevor's house down for his crimes against the internet, rightr?

seriously, i don't think i'm whining here. i think it's more that it is virtually impossible to say what you dislike about a proposal without coming off as sound like you dislike it, based on the innate property of 'disliking it'.

it's not that i have no desire to give it a chance, it's that i am experiencing troubles right now, because i am testing it/giving it a chance, and i'm also posting my opinions on testing it out via a player's perspective.

Quote:
But the way I look at is this. It would be cool to get those systems redone, but not at the expense of Live.

as far as i see (which is very near-sighted), wouldn't revamping as per the changes in news 149 also be delaying live? heck, isn't anything delaying live? if everything is getting wiped anyway, why redo the treasure system's drop rates and such?

please no using the "well, we can also save time by not making new items/giving new things to drop/etc" because that's been done as a retort in a few other threads, and it's quite unfair because there's no way to maturely debate something like that.

as i said, i'm cool with the need for a change, and it does make sense, just that it also has it's downsides, as i mentioned before. you know, without tearing my hair out and shrieking. honest.
Xenoapollyon

Post Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:12 am    Post subject:

I do understand that you arent automatically saying you hate the system, was just putting up my thoughts as well, considering how badly people can take new changes.

As far as the at the expense of live comment, It was a comparison between changing drop rates, and level ratios, conpared to a complete and total revamp of the system. ANything other than working directly towards live delays it, but some substancially more than others.

I dont think that we should just go with the save time but not... because there are some issues that could be resolved there, I Just think there are easier means than, what Trevor mentioned by a complete rewrite.

Lastly, the reason to do something at all, even though its all going away anyway, is that it wouldnt make much sense to have an awesome new game when it goes live, and hav nobody to play it cause they all gor tired of the older version. New stuff and things to keep people around is important, but its a weird balance of entertainment, and progress.

I wasnt saying that you arent giving it a chance, was just commenting that the only part thats been completed are the level of drops per level creature, and the affect of things like luck.

That still leaves a pretty good portion of the change left to be released.

Didnt mean to sound like I was jumping on your case, was just having flashbacks to the "combat changes" and the very angry people who popped up way before the system was even able to be tested at all.

Sean

Shocked
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject:

To clarify, what you're experiencing right now in terms of drop rates is adjustments we've made that affect everyone on every level killing things of any level. I'm still working with these numbers. However, in a different update (phase/step 3 of the list announced) level differentiation will affect drop rates also.

Back to top »
Sorkaa

Post Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:01 am    Post subject:

I agree with Sean..evening things out is nice, but there's really no point in doing a complete rewrite to perfect the system when we're not keeping the treasure, anyway.
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Combat & Hunting » news 149
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: