Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Shotguns
Goto page Previous  1, 2
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Combat & Hunting » Shotguns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zamde
Maestro

Post Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject:

An assault rifle shot to the head in real life would invariably be a lot different than one in game. A sword slash to the neck in real life would be different than one in game. Would it detract or add to the fun of playing, in your opinion, if your head was getting ruined in single, consistent hits?

Dixie Pierce says, "I heard Zamde can't have kids cause she lactates poison."

[Telepathy] Yaru Dex projects: I thought Zamde doesn't have kids because her womb is full of aisobs.

You can't spell "slaughter" without 'laughter'.

Llanfair Anti-Cyber Brigade Member #0000
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:38 pm    Post subject:

fatboy wrote:
Yeah, take a 12 gauge out and fire at a target 50, 30, and 20 yards away using a slug, 00 buck and bird shot. The results may just surprise you. What distance is missile considered in game? I guess we'd be getting too detailed and bogged down in reality again to worry about it really.

on one hand, you're right.

on the other hand, do you want critters killing us super fast?
Daedalus
Local Pimp

Post Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:27 am    Post subject:

fatboy wrote:
I guess we'd be getting too detailed and bogged down in reality again to worry about it really.

Hey, if it managed to get slugs to actually work ... It's worth it. I don't think they would have to be blown out of game proportion, just enable shotguns to do more damage at missile. Maybe they already do, though. I haven't played with them yet.
dragonseyes

Post Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:43 am    Post subject:

I decided to do a little research on this issue, as I tended to agree with the staff on this one. This site has what I found.

http://www.deltagear.us/ShotgunFacts.htm

Sorry about that, the pertinent section, should be:

XV. Buckshot Vs. Slug
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Daedalus
Local Pimp

Post Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:50 am    Post subject:

For the lazy...

XV. Buckshot Vs. Slug

Certain states and localities prohibit rifles and require the use of shotgun slugs or buckshot for big game hunting, usually because they are considered safer for use in congested areas. Both slugs and buckshot have a very limited range in comparison with rifles.

Were it not for such laws, it is doubtful that many hunters would select slugs or especially buckshot for big game hunting. Range and accuracy are decisively inferior even to low-powered rifle cartridges, and some big-bore pistol rounds provide better energy.

Shotgun slugs should not be used at ranges greater than about 75 yards. Maximum effective range is limited as much by the slug's rapid decay of energy and velocity as by its poor accuracy. A typical shotgun slug loses 40% of its striking energy in traveling the first 50 yards. It loses 55% of that muzzle energy in traveling 75 yards, 60% in 100 yards. The substantial muzzle energy (2365 ft.-lbs. for a typical 12-ga. 1-oz. Slug at 1560 f.p.s.) drops to 1345 ft.-lbs. at 50 yards, and less than 1000 ft.-lbs. at 100 yards.

Accuracy of shotgun slugs is adequate for deer hunting at ranges up to about 50 yards from almost any shotgun, but the performance to be expected can be determined only by shooting a particular gun. Barrels vary considerably, and the type and brand of ammunition can have a considerable influence in the gun's grouping potential.

The dispersion of shotgun slugs is not inherently linear with the range. The typical dispersion of slugs at 100 yards is about 2.3 times what the same barrel and ammunition will do at 50 yards.

Shotgun slugs are made of very soft lead so they will expand to fit the bore on firing. Measurements based on spark shadowgraphs of slugs in flight indicate the axial length of a typical slug is reduced by about 30% during the few milliseconds from the strike of the firing pin until the soft lead projectile is ejected from the muzzle.

Buckshot is even more a short-range proposition than the slug. It is unreliable at ranges greater than about 25 yards, especially in the densely-wooded areas where it is most often required.

Though buckshot loads have been considerably improved in recent years by the use of harder shot, plastic wads and buffers, the improvements have been more in reliable lethality than in added range.

It has been a generally-accepted rule of thumb that 600 ft.-lbs. is the minimum energy required for reliable taking of whitetail deer. At 20 yards, this would require hits by three (of eight from a 2 ¾" shell) pellets of No. 000 Buck, or 12 (of 27) pellets of No. 4 Buck. No. 4 and No. 1 Buck are primarily used for very short-range hunting and some law-enforcement uses; the traditional 00 or 000 Buck loadings are best for deer. While No. 4 Buck has a per-pellet striking energy about equal to the .32 ACP pistol round, the energy of 000 Buck more closely resembles the usual 158-gr. .38 Spl. round.

As is the case with slugs, hunters should carefully pattern several types and brands of buckshot ammunition to find the proper load for a particular gun. A load that will place all its pellets in a 19" circle at 25 yards is acceptable for most deer hunting.

Above all, keep shots within 25 yards - anything else constitutes unethical hunting.

The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Combat & Hunting » Shotguns
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: