FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Engagement in the Fens
Goto page 1, 2  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Combat & Hunting » Engagement in the Fens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morgana

Post Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:28 pm    Post subject: Engagement in the Fens

I've not heard exactly what it's suppose to be like.

So far when hunting in the fens with another young mage I couldn't retreat fast enough to leave the room. All the critters had to be killed to leave.
If I hid and retreated that worked well. But the young mage I was with couldn't hide from them.
Mages generally like to use spells when hunting but this mage couldn't retreat well enough to use them effectively and the higher powered spells backfired nearly killing him again.
When I hid and retreated and attempted to drag him away I couldn't because he was engaged. He was retreating but six critters all advancing kept at least two at pole at all times.

I think retreating needs to be sped up, a person not engaged should be able to drag another out of danger, and only so many critters should be allowed to advance ( i.e. a forager stops advancing since there's no room and goes to another room)
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:51 pm    Post subject:

yeah, this is the big thing i noticed when hunting beetles (unless they stopped engaging, too).

when i ran out of ammo, i had to spam ripple just so the damn things stopped advancing long enough for me to leave.
HR-Marduk

Post Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject:

A> You can already drag people out of combat.

B> Flee is a much faster version of retreat for getting out of combat quickly.

Quote:
i noticed that the swoosh symbol was nothing but a whip in mid swing

-- Sage Francis
 Back to top »
Morgana

Post Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:27 pm    Post subject:

I couldn't drag the young mage out because he was engaged. At least that was the messaging. I also never heard of flee, but doesn't seem to work in the fen along with leap and dash.

I didn't save it but another did in the room
Code:
Morgana Vli drags Vega Shadowknight away from his attackers, but fails to manage an escape.

So what determines whether you succeed in escape?

Edit:
Can now flee, Thank you. Need someone to check the other two please.
Tugor
Orgasm Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject:

Code:
>focus
You complete your invocation.
You focus your thoughts.
A sudden gust of wind blasts into a mamujuk berserker, knocking him back!
A sudden gust of wind blasts into a mamujuk berserker, knocking her back!
>
You fully recover your inner focus.
>lo
As a mamujuk berserker tries to advance on you, you back away, increasing the distance between you.
A mamujuk berserker is now at missile range.
As a mamujuk berserker tries to advance on you, you back away, increasing the distance between you.
>

[Gluhgok Fen]
A small cloud of tiny flying bugs zooms around the area in random swerving patterns through the air almost as if the shared the same mind. Other bugs hover in clusters above random areas of the swamp, but the reason for their interest in that spot remains unclear. A fallen jalumin tree has been covered in moss which hangs off of the twisted, rotting branches like an odd funeral shroud.

You also see a muddy path, a mamujuk berserker who is lying down, a mamujuk berserker who is lying down and stunned, a mamujuk berserker who is lying down and a mamujuk berserker who is lying down.
Also here is Doctor Nelle Dgnara.
You notice exits leading north, northeast, and east.

Knocking them down and stunning them doesn't seem to stop their advancement.

Also, when grouped you don't need to drag anyone out of combat, you can just move normally and they will follow even if they are engaged.

Code:
Ferociously as a cornered eteoch, a mamujuk berserker rakes a claw at Nelle Dgnara.  Somehow, Nelle Dgnara parries the attack barely avoiding disaster.
>
>go pat
You enter a muddy path.  Your group follows.

[Llanfair, Northern Road]
No longer really a road anymore, the muddy thoroughfare degenerates into a muddy path leading into the swamp itself. A sour gassy smell assails your nostrils as you get closer to the wetlands.

You also see a saifbraelsh sign splashed with mud.
Also here is Planter Earthheart Dominato and Captain Jade Venra.
You notice an exit leading east.
A mamujuk berserker is no longer around to advance on you.  You feel safer, or something.
A mamujuk berserker is no longer around to advance on you.  You feel safer, or something.
>
Earthheart Dominato fiddles with a weather-beaten ailferton casket and seems pleased with the results.
>look

[Llanfair, Northern Road]
No longer really a road anymore, the muddy thoroughfare degenerates into a muddy path leading into the swamp itself. A sour gassy smell assails your nostrils as you get closer to the wetlands.

You also see a saifbraelsh sign splashed with mud.
Also here is Planter Earthheart Dominato, Captain Jade Venra, and Doctor Nelle Dgnara.
You notice an exit leading east.

the blue fairy
Grandmistress

Post Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:02 pm    Post subject:

I have yet to test this out, but its not supposed to be easy to run from combat, we need more risk involved in hunting and this is one of those things, its possible the area is just above your skills, or that it does need tweaked down a lil, just keep in mind its not supposed to be a fail safe way to get away from a critter. I imagine there are skill checks involved in your being able to retreat from combat. My understanding is that flee is supposed to be a sure thing (if it is working properly) course my opinion is that it should have a negative affect on you somehow if you do it repeatedly.
As far as retreat time compare it to advance time, is it really that slow?

A set of breast implants fall from the sky with a soft plop.

Caretaker Jornnoj Vunn looks up at the sky.

A passing guard suddenly shits himself.
 Back to top »
Morgana

Post Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:09 pm    Post subject:

I think the fen critters are quite a bit below me.
As to retreating it was that with six to ten critters advancing there was always two to three at pole preventing me from leaving.
Didn't know about 'flee' until I went back to look at September posts.
Maybe the engagement descriptions should be revisited. There are many younger players not understanding at all, or players like me that have avoided combat for the most part.
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:11 pm    Post subject:

it would also be awesome if there was a hangback command. i hate having to wait unitl someone advances before i start trying to stay at missle. also hate having to type retreat over and over if i actually get all the way out but want to keep staying back there.
Kit
Cybertech Extraordinaire~

Post Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject:

As a 45th tech with fully (triple) trained tactics and my agility at 50, I couldn't retreat enough in the fens to get away. When I was at 5% health I panicked and had to use my tower talisman and run up to the ER. There were 4 opponents.

And the scroll is insane. I have to squelch like mad. I'll attempt to use flee later, but I was really disturbed by how easily things at that level can beat my down.

AIM: KitMurphyHR
Email: yojibalinese@hotmail.com
Technician Database: http://tech.haelrahv.net/
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
HR-Marduk

Post Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:15 pm    Post subject:

soundless wrote:
it would also be awesome if there was a hangback command. i hate having to wait unitl someone advances before i start trying to stay at missle. also hate having to type retreat over and over if i actually get all the way out but want to keep staying back there.

There is a hangback command. You just don't have it yet.

Quote:
Morgana Vli drags Vega Shadowknight away from his attackers, but fails to manage an escape.

It's very likely you need to drag more than once if you don't have enough strength/vitality, or if they are engaged by multiple opponents.

I'll likely be scaling engagement times soon to make it much easier to retreat from something far below you in level.

Quote:
i noticed that the swoosh symbol was nothing but a whip in mid swing

-- Sage Francis
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:15 pm    Post subject:

what determines retreat ability, anyway.

agility, tactics..?
Kit
Cybertech Extraordinaire~

Post Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject:

Did some tests. Flee takes me on average 9 seconds of RT and sucks up stamina like a starving baby.

Code:
You also see a MAD droid, an eobais hunter and a mamujuk berserker.

There are only two critters. I flee to pole from one and the seconds gets to melee and...you see the problem. No only that, but as I was fleeing, the beasties took cheap shots at me. From my current standpoint, retreat is not an option. I have to rift away.

AIM: KitMurphyHR
Email: yojibalinese@hotmail.com
Technician Database: http://tech.haelrahv.net/
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
SolitaryTurnip

Post Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:03 am    Post subject:

How often are you supposed to get a "you retreat from an X and are now at missile range" message? Does that means that X is advancing and I'm retreating and we're kinda staying together, or are there several tiers of missile range or something like that?
 Back to top »
Morgana

Post Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:10 am    Post subject:

HR-Marduk wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Morgana Vli drags Vega Shadowknight away from his attackers, but fails to manage an escape

It's very likely you need to drag more than once if you don't have enough strength/vitality, or if they are engaged by multiple opponents.

I did attempt to drag him about eight times. Didn't get anywhere.

Tugor wrote:
Quote:
Also, when grouped you don't need to drag anyone out of combat, you can just move normally and they will follow even if they are engaged.

If one cannot drag out of combat, one in combat shouldn't be able to follow the group out.
SolitaryTurnip

Post Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:18 am    Post subject:

Morgana wrote:
If one cannot drag out of combat, one in combat shouldn't be able to follow the group out.

That's probably a bug rather than a feature *grins*.

From my (not so vast) experiences, flee seems kinda useless right now. I can't recall what skills it takes, but if it uses agil or coord, I have a lot of that, and I also have a lot of tactics and athletics. The roundtime just kills it... in the fens, I can retreat with pretty much no problem... but flee is just a waste. With 4 things on me, flee takes 12 seconds and gets me to pole range. By the time my rt runs out, everything is back on me.

Also, something just hit me. A warrior? Son of a bitch! Is that because there were 4 of them, or did he just get really really lucky?

Anyway, I hid and retreated with little effort, where flee wouldn't have worked at all. Just some input.
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Combat & Hunting » Engagement in the Fens
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: