FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Combat Outlook
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Combat & Hunting » Combat Outlook
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:39 am    Post subject:

This isn't so much Guardian oriented as magic oriented, but I will be adjusting magic spells (and psi) to have some effect based on engagement ranges in the fairly near future.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
epol
Self-Proclaimed Crown Jewel

Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:58 am    Post subject:

Yes, I am a Guardian. My experience with the other techniques so far have not been of great aid.

Stealth: Nearly maxed out, but if I hide and advance, I find myself chasing creatures that leave the room before I get to Melee on them. At Level 22, I can't really have enough points to stalk and track as well. So, I run after them to the next room and hide and advance again, noping they don't leave. One thing I haven't tried yet, but will, is to sneak to the next room and see if I maintain my advancement or not. If not, I imagine the overall RT would be even longer to get to Melee then.

LEAP: At level 22, it just isn't very usuable. Most everyone I've spoken with has explained that (don't hold me exactly to this) Agility (or mayble coordiantion) needs to be near 60 and Acro needs to be something like 80-100 for sucessful and reliable LEAPing.

So, at Epol's level, I'm not sure these options are available to him yet. Though, perhaps his owner just hasn't found the right way to actually use them to his advantage. Any help on how to make these work better would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
 Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject:

Is there even anything available to hunt around level 22 that's ranged, thus requiring you to be stealthy or leapy? If you're hunting things that are melee-oriented, I can't see any real need to get to melee unnoticed or quickly. Maybe if you're trying to avoid being surrounded by critters, but that's why we have Tactics.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
epol

Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject:

Only real things I found so far that are ranged were Oracle Chiths and Mystic Chiths. And, I pretty much just had to skip them because of the damage I received when hunting them vs. the actual value I got.

The challenge is really though, should hunters even try to hunt above their level? Is there value to them vs. the risk involved. And if they do, what skills/tools can they use. My thread really started at the discussion about possible changes to reduce the power/effectiveness of the unarmed attacks. It pulled in eventually the fact that Guardians must fight unarmed at Melee...and a bit of spill over into the changes made to the box drop system.
 Back to top »
Warner
Sneaky Locksmithiness

Post Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:41 am    Post subject:

Risk vs Reward would be the term to think in. If it takes you six seconds to get to melee and obliterate the intended victim in four with Pummel or six with bodyslam, seems to me it's a fair trade off for ranged users to have twelve seconds to obliterate you. Hunt smart. live by news 16
train evasion instead of parry? until they make it possible to catch arrows in your hands and bullets with your teeth, hunting a ranged critter may not be suitable for you. Thankfully there's oodles of critters who are melee aggressors. Kamohakuns might be better for you, they dont use ranged attacks as often as they melee (the hurtling trash of doom).

I'd speculate Trevor changed the treasure system so that you couldnt get
hugely rich in chiths at 100th promotion (extremes i know, but it was possible) with high kill potential and low critter levels it was on par with system abuse (and efficiently corrected).
Some classes aren't as suitable for combat as others (medics offhand)
i'd assume Trevor will look into it, but the guy has a full plate,
so give him a chance to make the nessecary tweaks then post feedback as normal.

P.s. when this topic gets you frustrated, consider this; some of the best poison makers AREN'T Agents Rolling Eyes , should make you feel better about your profession!

the Vy
epol

Post Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Vy.

But, if a Guardian isn't suitable for combat, then I'm unsure what skills they actually have left at that point.

Considering that combat is the only value that a Guardian has to the community (i.e. defender of the people), I would think their skills would be tailored to being able to fight any foe that might be encountered.

It also now take 8 seconds to bodyslam and 12 to pummel, neither of which will take out an eobais forager in one hit.

Perhaps I just have misconceptions about the intent of my profession.

Thanks for the insight.
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject:

epol wrote:
It also now take 8 seconds to bodyslam and 12 to pummel, neither of which will take out an eobais forager in one hit.

Perhaps I just have misconceptions about the intent of my profession.

i think the misconception is that you should be able to one shot kill things.
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:49 pm    Post subject:

(by the way, it seems you're judging a whole profession based on what's currently released instead of taking into consideration what's planned; ie. sigils for guardians)

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:51 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
But, if a Guardian isn't suitable for combat, then I'm unsure what skills they actually have left at that point.

Guardians are most certainly suitable for combat. As a Guardian you receive:
- faster unarmed attacks
- less skill needed to acquire new unarmed attacks
- more damage dealt by your unarmed attacks

Using meditations also helps quite a bit. For instance meditation light will increase your damage against all creatures, but especially against undead.

Quote:
i think the misconception is that you should be able to one shot kill things.

Yaru is correct.

Back to top »
Xenoapollyon

Post Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:54 pm    Post subject:

ima have to agree with Yaru as well. I've heard more than one person say its absurd that you can

a) get shot in teh head and not die
b) dodge a bullet.

My response to that was that realism is attempted, but in some cases some level of realism has to be overlooked for things to work.

Sean
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:07 pm    Post subject:

There simply would be no reason to use anything but a gun if these aspects existed. I'm sure everyone would rather have a wide range of choices in weaponry than guns, guns, or guns.

Back to top »
Xenoapollyon

Post Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:11 pm    Post subject:

I completely agree, I just couldnt picture it.. would completely negate the entire combat system

Sean
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:17 pm    Post subject:

We could make it work with insane armor systems and such, but there'd be no more need for blades, bows, unarmed, etc. and any concept of defense skill would be eliminated in favor of armor and technological systems for defense. If Haelrahv were hardcore pure sci-fi this would be workable, but we're a mixture of sci-fi and fantasy and I think most of us are glad for that.

Back to top »
epol

Post Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject:

Ok. I'll accept my profession as it evolves and progresses.

I was mistaken. My thoughts were that when I was much greater ( I believe twice as big as a forager), that one hit kills might be expected. They really are just critters in the way of hunting the zerks and warriors, as far as reward goes.
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:28 am    Post subject:

beyond that, don't guardians sometimes do things like hit twice with certain unarmed attacks? or am i thinking of a different game. if so, uh, oops.
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Combat & Hunting » Combat Outlook
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: