FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Mule Characters
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Out of Character Discussions » Mule Characters
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Mules, good or bad?
good
29%
 29%  [ 5 ]
bad
70%
 70%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 17

soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:43 pm    Post subject: Mule Characters

So, what's the general view here.

I'm not saying it's wrong to have a second account, or even having one character know another. But I, personally, find it pretty lame to have your own tech, your own medic, your own everything, just for the sake of not wanting to deal with actual other players.

Don't get me wrong, it makes perfect sense to have one character help out another. But there's a difference between that and setting things up so you don't actually need outside contact with the rest of the game.

Comes off as lame to me, and, if not that, just cheating.
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:47 pm    Post subject:

I'd wager a guess many people would say (whether they mean it or not, per se) that mules are not desirable but are a "necessary evil".

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject:

at most the only characters that i see are needed as mules right now are medics, because sometimes dixie and the few others aren't awake. but even that can be fixed by making sure you [general you] image more often.

any other mule type thing is more being either impatient, being unwilling to ask for help, or just poor social skills resulting in being a pariah.
Tugor
Orgasm Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject:

I'd say both but more good than bad.

The biggest reason I think they are good has nothing to do with PC's or role play. It's because the secondary accounts provide more income for the game I love. In order for someone to have a mule that can assist their other characters they must have 2 paid accounts. $20\month isn't much, but anything helps and it adds up.

Another reason again not having anything to do with PC's or mechanics, is that it gives the game the illusion of having a decent amount of players, which in my opinion can have a strong impact on new players that join up. If someone logs in and sees 10 people in game, that may influence their decision to keep playing.

I don't really see it as cheating, it's more on a convenience level. We have rifts potions in game for the super lazy, that's easily comparible to this aspect. Anyone who does have mule characters are paying for them as well so it's not like we are getting freebies here.

True mule characters I think are worse, meaning the characters that are made for the purpose of doing something for their main character and nothing else: I.e. holding items for them effectively increasing vault space, providing services and nothing else like healing, repairing etc, getting profession specific items from their respective shops. . .

I play Naru, I don't just have him sit around and do nothing. He socializes with people, more so than Tshar usually because Tshar has such a bad rep and it married now. Naru brokers for the public alot(unless I get preoccupied with Tshar and forget heh, bad habit).

Summary: Good and bad both, more good than bad though unless they are being abused.
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject:

Oh, I didn't say these people were right or wrong - no interest in debating from my end. However, I acknowledge that "patience" or "effort" or completely relative terms.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject:

don't get me wrong, i love the idea of people wanting to put more money in the game and playing more characters. i rolled up a performer on a new account just two days ago because i'd love to try out what they're all about.

but i also strongly dislike people playing characters just to spite the entire concept of a multiplayer game. there's a difference between "i want to roll up a 'crat because the profession looks cool" and "i want a money mule who can also broker for me since I pissed off the top 3 brokers" or whatever.
Tugor
Orgasm Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:12 pm    Post subject:

I'm not gonna lie, Naru helps Tshar, plain and simple. But he wasn't a 'crat originally, he was an agent. He was an agent for awhile too, not just a few levels, like til level 30-40, something like that. Two combat oriented professions just grew tiresome. I tried performer, but I despise not having enough skill points per level to train everything I want\need so I gave that up pretty quickly. I finally decided on Bureaucrat because at the time there weren't many 'crats, Kelasa had just quit, Aesal hardly brokered for anyone that wasn't a personal friend and for brokers that was about it. Other than that I use other PC's for pretty much anything else, granted, Tshars wife is a medic but she's not always around so he does end up getting revived by other medics occasionally. Repair, Tshar hates Kit, Kit hates Tshar so I use Thorne or occasionally Infeirna.

Honestly, with the way HR is set up for skills and such, one doesn't need a mule character to be self sufficient. With enough skill points one can almost do everything themselves heh. Again, it all comes down to convenience.
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:16 pm    Post subject:

Tugor wrote:
I'm not gonna lie, Naru helps Tshar, plain and simple

don't get me wrong, i'm quite sure when my performer is old enough, i might have mender's verse thrown up on yaru time to time. but i think the disinction between a mule and a second character is that second character characters are used independently of the main, and thus does more than go out of being afk to cast one thing, then runs off into the dark ether.
Kit
Cybertech Extraordinaire~

Post Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject:

I know you're mostly upset about 'mule artisans.' Honestly, there's not point in HAVING a mule artisan. There is nothing an artisan provides that can't simply be bought from a store with the exception of tattoos...and even then they're not needed. People have artisans now to try out the new system, just like I played my tracker a lot more when you could fish up boxes because I wanted to try out the new systems.

I use Eka and Naru and Aerumna, not my broker, to broker things unless no one's answering me. I use Lexia nad Elayne and Dixie, not my medic...then again, Kit's got some mad FA skills, and is dermagel happy.

The only thing that would be REALLY useful for Kit is...

Uh...

Wait. There IS no profession that can truly subliment Kit. My other characters are what I play when Kit sits and drains. All the services they provide for him are null and void with the exception of my puny little broker when the big money making brokers are sleeping.

AIM: KitMurphyHR
Email: yojibalinese@hotmail.com
Technician Database: http://tech.haelrahv.net/
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:17 pm    Post subject:

no, i think mule anything sucks. i just decided to bring up the topic now because the mule artisan thing put it in my head.
Kit

Post Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:22 pm    Post subject:

soundless wrote:
no, i think mule anything sucks. i just decided to bring up the topic now because the mule artisan thing put it in my head.

The way the professions are with so many skills available to other professions is that there's really no such thing as a mule character in HR. Name one way a mule artisan can be worth anything until about 40th level? Same with any other profession.

Yes, brokering. But mine's in his early teens and still gets suck returns. Trackers with circles...sure. But that's at 18. Pathing anywhere...more higher circles.

In my opinion, HR doesn't have mules. I can't name one mule character.

Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject:

i don't think 'but the mules aren't that effective yet, anyway' is an excuse for saying that they're not a bad thing.

ps: the intention of this isn't saying X Y and Z have mules, and they suck! more that i'm sincerely wondering how the general public feels about this kind of stuff. not saying it exists, not saying it doesn't exist. it's sorta like saying, "how do you feel if there was a skillset for kicking people in the crotch". just wondering where people stand.

final note: rosbambo skill, please
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:08 pm    Post subject:

Kit wrote:

i can't name, but i can point.

Kit wrote:
To be honest, my main goal in any new secondary characters is the reallocations.

that is exactly what muling is. making a character solely for the advantage of another.
Ashes2Ashes
The 'crat and the street-rat

Post Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:15 pm    Post subject:

Mules are bad.
Secondary/tertiary/etc. characters are not always mules.

If you don't know if your other characters are mules or not - ask other people to tell you honestly how they perceive you. Your actions tend to speak far more volumes than your words or your intent.
-----
>read by case
The accused: Byt Me, a Darju, is accused of failure to appear.
>read mo case
The accused: Mo Tfoh, a Darju, is accused of unlawful sexual relations.
 Back to top »
Kit

Post Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject:

soundless wrote:
Kit wrote:

i can't name, but i can point.

Kit wrote:
To be honest, my main goal in any new secondary characters is the reallocations.

that is exactly what muling is. making a character solely for the advantage of another.

'mainly' does not equal 'soley' in any thesaurus.

I genuinely enjoying playing with new systems. Also, if I was soley doing this for reallocations, I'd just script foraging back to back all day. Full mind forever.

Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Out of Character Discussions » Mule Characters
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: