FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Ventriloquism
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Suggestions and Ideas » Ventriloquism
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tugor
Orgasm Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:42 am    Post subject:

Heh that would be fun to cause problems with that shit.

Imagine Daedalus in a room with 2 couples. 3 males and a female. One of the couples is gay. A performer with this skill is sitting in hiding.

Code:
ventriloquism daed dev Hey Bob, your wife sucked my cock last night while Jim here did me up the ass, it was awesome.
>
You attempt to mimic Daedalus DeVries voice and throw it in his direction.
>
Daedalus DeVries says, "Hey Bob, your wife sucked my cock last night while Jim here did me up the ass, it was awesome."

No offense to anyone, gay or straight, was just making a semi-extreme example here heh.

Now would the performer be able to do it from hiding like that? Or would it reveal them\or would they be unable to do it from hiding\inviso.
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:44 am    Post subject:

what's the difference between that and the character him or herself saying that it happened?

you're mistaking harassment for proper use of an IG ability.
zamde
Maestro

Post Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:45 am    Post subject:

Daedalus wrote:
But sure, if its not something you want, I'm sure some high powered spellsongs can be released instead.

Yeehaw!

Seriously, I don't really care what becomes of it either way since I'm thoroughly happy with enact, but the current main argument against it forces me to highlight another (everyday) command with the same potential for abuse.

Code:
ACT rectally violates Daedalus DeVries with her devilstick, and he thoroughly enjoys it.

So, shame on all of you for having an ability that forces actions on other people against their will.

Dixie Pierce says, "I heard Zamde can't have kids cause she lactates poison."

[Telepathy] Yaru Dex projects: I thought Zamde doesn't have kids because her womb is full of aisobs.

You can't spell "slaughter" without 'laughter'.

Llanfair Anti-Cyber Brigade Member #0000

Last edited by zamde on Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:46 am; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
Tugor
Orgasm Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:46 am    Post subject:

I guess using Daedalus as an example wasn't great. Imagine if that was done to a 'nicer' PC heh. It would have the potential to cause greater problems between others than for the performer if it was set up like that.
Tugor
Orgasm Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:50 am    Post subject:

Zamde wrote:
So, shame on all of you for having an ability that forces actions on other people against their will.

Sure ACT can be abused, but you always have the choice of squelching the person resposible for ACTing against you. Can you squelch yourself? What does it look like when someone made you talk? Does it look like normal speak just without you typing in anything and hitting enter? If so, you can't squelch that.
Daedalus
Local Pimp

Post Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:51 am    Post subject:

Tugor wrote:
Code:
ventriloquism daed dev Hey Bob, your wife sucked my cock last night while Jim here did me up the ass, it was awesome.
>
You attempt to mimic Daedalus DeVries voice and throw it in his direction.
>
Daedalus DeVries says, "Hey Bob, your wife sucked my cock last night while Jim here did me up the ass, it was awesome."

I would then walk away laughing my ass off. And I've been made to say gay comments before, wasn't a big deal.
zamde
Maestro

Post Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:56 am    Post subject:

Tugor wrote:
Sure ACT can be abused, but you always have the choice of squelching the person resposible for ACTing against you. Can you squelch yourself? What does it look like when someone made you talk? Does it look like normal speak just without you typing in anything and hitting enter? If so, you can't squelch that.

Yes, Daedalus could squelch my ACTs against him; but that doesn't prevent fifteen other people standing at Cloud Court from witnessing me pleasurably screwing him with a flaming stick, either, since there's no system in place that I'm aware that lets players squelch on another's behalf.

[Telepathy] Yaru Dex projects: I thought Zamde doesn't have kids because her womb is full of aisobs.

Back to top »
Tugor
Orgasm Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:05 am    Post subject:

There's a fine line here.

Using ACT; another character can make another feel\do things but at least with that, other people present know that it was the ACTor(hah pun) that did it.

Someone using ventriloquism basically gives that person control over another characters voice, making them say things they don't want to while making it seem like they said it themselves.

Very fine line, but there all the same.

It's kinda like a GM making a PC do something they wouldn't normally do, only giving that power to other PC's. It's not right, RP tool or not.
Daedalus
Local Pimp

Post Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:08 am    Post subject:

Can someone give me to full reason of why it was taken away?

Oh, and someone else can easily go whisper to Bob, that I fucked his wife while Jim screwed me. I think it would be easier to deny something you said out loud, than something someone else is spreading around.
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:12 am    Post subject:

i still think the big problem is not that the ability is bad, but that people think because someone can be an asshole, the problem is with the medium, as opposed to the actual person doing it.

if i go around punching you in the face, the issue isn't that fists hurt, it's that i'm being an asshole by always punching you in the face.
zamde
Maestro

Post Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:20 am    Post subject:

The potential need to squelch someone using ACT in an offensive or forceful manner in the first place defaults it as a catalyst for abuse. There's no more cognizance involved for someone to say "Hey, I didn't say that!" than there is to read an act and think, "That person's name is at the front of the sentence, so it's just an act."

The latter is a doublestandard in its own right, since the entirety of the social command cortex of HR relies on suspension of disbelief and mass acceptance of a given activity, since I'm not afforded the option to not let someone give me a wedgie, or sink their fangs into me, or backhand me across the face, etc.

Mind you, that's not a rallying cry for permission checks to be thrown into every available command under the sun -- I'm just showing that we aren't really at liberty to pick-and-choose RP morality here where it's most convenient.

Last edited by zamde on Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:26 am; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
Daedalus
Local Pimp

Post Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:25 am    Post subject:

Another question, what all do Preformers have that is limited to just them?
HR-Mickey
Cloverfield Monster

Post Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:39 am    Post subject:

Quote:
full reason it was taken away

Surprisingly, ventriloquism was never officially taken away. I'd disabled it for a while to wrestle with some name parsing issues and additional skill checks, and more or less just never got around to putting it back on the table.

Quote:
Another question, what all do Preformers have that is limited to just them?

Uh... you'd think I'd know this by heart. That I can think of: DIRGE, SERENADE, LURE, and PROVOKE. ENACT is a technical fifth, but not every Performer is obligated to select that boon.

To make a long story short, don't tell it.

I may be going nowhere, but I'm going nowhere fast.
---
Kelvin Watt says, "I stopped drinking coke when no longer drinking beer didn't make my gut disappear."
---
Kaelin Rae says, "Wait a minute..."
Kaelin Rae says, "You mean they have a COKE machine that dispenses beer."
Kaelin Rae nods to you.
Kaelin Rae says, "Greaser."
Kaelin Rae looks at you and sighs.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Morgana

Post Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:51 am    Post subject:

Dae, I didn't say it was a bad idea. I said that having the ability to make players talk is a bad idea. NPC's, inanimate things, that'd prolly be hilarious. But for me personally, if someone had the ability to make me say something (and noone could tell it was the performer doing it) while in the room with others I've a strained relation with... to say the least it'd be taken wrong and at the worst lose some friendships that are begining to be rebuilt.
Daedalus
Local Pimp

Post Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:14 am    Post subject:

Morgana wrote:
Dae, I didn't say it was a bad idea. I said that having the ability to make players talk is a bad idea. NPC's, inanimate things, that'd prolly be hilarious. But for me personally, if someone had the ability to make me say something (and noone could tell it was the performer doing it) while in the room with others I've a strained relation with... to say the least it'd be taken wrong and at the worst lose some friendships that are begining to be rebuilt.

It was once an ability, though ... It didn't seemed to be used enough for some of you to know that. Hell, I just thought it was GMs making me do it all. The thought poped into my head a while back that it would be a cool thing to for Performers do, but before I posted I decided to look into and make sure it wasn't already available. And if something were to happen where someone made you piss off a friend and they don't believe you when you tell them it wasn't you, then may I suggest finding better friends?

I don't know the requirements it calls for to use the ability, but I think Zamde was probably the only one to use it. And I think she would have better judgement than to go around and ruin peoples lives by making them say things. Gossip does a pretty good job of that already.
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Suggestions and Ideas » Ventriloquism
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: