FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Ventriloquism
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Suggestions and Ideas » Ventriloquism
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the blue fairy
Grandmistress

Post Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject:

I was going to ask the same thing. making a puppet talk in different voices is one thing, or throwing your voice is another but being able to actually convince people that its so and so talking is just an invasion on player rights I believe.
Hell I wouldnt be opposed to somone being able to make a puppet talk in the voice of Stilldawn but for it to come across as Stilldawn Kagali says ...... is wrong.

A set of breast implants fall from the sky with a soft plop.

Caretaker Jornnoj Vunn looks up at the sky.

A passing guard suddenly shits himself.
 Back to top »
Enverdi
Strange and Exciting

Post Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject:

I always thought it was funny, personally. Specially when the Flying Nun and Green Fairy started to assault Verdi's common sense and self-esteem...
Tugor
Orgasm Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject:

Items yes, people no way.
Dzynna
Shadow Master

Post Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject:

I do not like clothing alterations, room descriptions, etc. that tell me I feel a certain way. My character is not necessarily going to feel fear, happiness, whatever at the same things another character would.

In the same vein, I really would not like another player to have control over what my character says or does, as they could possibly make her say or do things she wouldn't normally say or do.

So, while I am not against ventriloquism itself, I am against ventriloquism when it comes to played characters.

Dzynna Zol
-------------------------------------
The Retreat
--------------------------------------
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kit
Cybertech Extraordinaire~

Post Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:38 pm    Post subject:

I think mocking someone else's voice would be cool. Ventriloquism wouldn't REALLY work on someone because that person would have to move their mouth for it to look right. But learning to do impressions of people would be fun.

AIM: KitMurphyHR
Email: yojibalinese@hotmail.com
Technician Database: http://tech.haelrahv.net/
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Morgana

Post Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:53 pm    Post subject:

NPC's would be fine. Inanimate objects would be fine. The abuse that'd happen if it applied to characters would not be fine Rolling Eyes
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:01 pm    Post subject:

what's stopping you all from going "Hey, I didn't say that, who made me say that!"

you're not being 'forced' to say something. someone is fooling others to believe you said something.

i don't know, i'm not saying i'd be thrilled if someone made yaru say, "I am queen of the dingleberries" or whatever, but i also know i can easily say "I didn't say that! Someone's trying to TRICK us!" or whatever.
Tugor
Orgasm Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:04 pm    Post subject:

Yea but what if they just keep doing it, or made him say worse things than that? Wouldn't that get annoying to the point where you would want something done about it? That would just be another system the GM's would need to monitor.

Just because there aren't any people that would abuse it NOW doesn't mean it will always be that way.
the blue fairy
Grandmistress

Post Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:49 pm    Post subject:

I still hold firm that it would be an invasion of player rights

Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject:

isn't that what faceshooting is for? being annoying is being annoying. i see no reason why being exceptionally obnoxious in this case is different than, say, scrolling slap bob over and over or screaming or whatever.

i guess what i'm saying is i don't know how someone can be extra-obnoxious with this as opposed to extra-obnoxious with something else. on top of that, i think if someone is being harassing they'd be harassing regardless of what tools are available. the abilities available in haelrahv should be based on what it makes sense for a profession to have, not a worst-case senario of how things can go wrong.

by the logic of the worst-case senario stuff, i can say that people sniping and backstabbing are capable of being extremely harassing by killing people and the victim never knowing who is harassing them.
the blue fairy
Grandmistress

Post Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:07 pm    Post subject:

you dont seem to be getting the point, the way you are asking for it to be done is giving somone else control over another player and the way they RP.

Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:17 pm    Post subject:

the blue fairy wrote:
you dont seem to be getting the point, the way you are asking for it to be done is giving somone else control over another player and the way they RP.

no, i get the point completely. and what i'm trying to say is that they're not forcing you to act in any way at all. they're not forcing you to feel a certain way. they're giving the illusion that you said something.

i repeat: your character does not say what is said. it is a trick.
Morgana

Post Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:24 pm    Post subject:

Soundless wrote:
Code:
they're not forcing you to feel a certain way. they're giving the illusion that you said something.

No it's not the illusion. When it was allowed it looked exactly like we said it. It was over abused and some went above and beyond what is funny. Considering who started this thread it... well it's not a good idea. Confused
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:35 pm    Post subject:

that would be the goal of the voice throwing stuff, right?

i don't know. i had it used against me, and i wasn't horribly offended or anything.
Daedalus
Local Pimp

Post Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:07 am    Post subject:

Having it used against me when it was around, I simply replied with "Hey, I didn't say that! Whats going on?" or whatever. Agents get deadly attacks that allow them to attack from the shadows, yet Preformers can't get a simple command that allows them to throw their voice and have little fun using their skills?

Kit,

Do you pay attention to what everyone says? I mean, do you sit there and stare at their mouth when they're talking? Lets say you're repairing a comm, and hear a voice come from a certain direction. You then glance over to see Frank sitting there. Him being the only on in the direction, you asume he said it, but you're not fully sure.

As for it being used over and over, maybe there are some restrictions involved. Like snipe ... if you do it too much, you're going to get caught. Its a more creative way of annoying people other than slapping them over and over.

Morgana wrote:
Considering who started this thread it... well it's not a good idea.

Whats that supposed to mean? So, everything I come up with is a bad idea? Crying or Very sad

Since I'm not even a Preformer, It wouldn't aid in my pissing people off. Telling someone they're a good for nothing cock sucking whore is good enough to piss that person off along with their friends. So I don't really need voice throwing. What a wonderful world we live in!

I did ask for your thoughts on this, and I thank you all for replying, I guess ... But sure, if its not something you want, I'm sure some high powered spellsongs can be released instead.
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Suggestions and Ideas » Ventriloquism
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: