FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
More gadget ideas
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Technicians » More gadget ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:28 am    Post subject:

essense is just the modifier that determines spell power.

think of it as a battery (you're a tech, right. hah!).

you can dedicate the battery power to either your cyberparts, your magic, or both. but the last option would result in only partial cyber parts and partially effective spells.

i see essense working in spell modifiers not in focus pool, so it's something like:

spell power = (spell casting + intelligence) * essense

not saying that is the formula, but it's something that gives a nice impression of how essense works.
Kit
Cybertech Extraordinaire~

Post Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:42 am    Post subject:

soundless wrote:
essense is just the modifier that determines spell power.

think of it as a battery (you're a tech, right. hah!).

you can dedicate the battery power to either your cyberparts, your magic, or both. but the last option would result in only partial cyber parts and partially effective spells.

i see essense working in spell modifiers not in focus pool, so it's something like:

spell power = (spell casting + intelligence) * essense

not saying that is the formula, but it's something that gives a nice impression of how essense works.

I thought charisma = essense. That's what it is for cyberparts. It feeds off of your charisma.

Edit: I think a lot of the problem is is that I don't understand the semantics, mostly because I've been playing DR for the past two years and not HR. I understand if you all think I'm stupid, but I would appreciate the explinations...and not hostile explinations either.

AIM: KitMurphyHR
Email: yojibalinese@hotmail.com
Technician Database: http://tech.haelrahv.net/
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tugor
Orgasm Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject:

Heh when I first came to HR I thought: Shadowrun\Cyberpunk. I immediately began looking for a Mr. Johnson heh.
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:26 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Trevor, I was refering to myself. I NEVER assume anyone else ever feels the way I do. I also try to ignore William. He tends to insight riots with me, so it's generally a good idea that I do that for my own mental health. I don't have time to read every single post ever on this message board, so when things come up that are new to me, I think I'm entitled to be shocked. So nyah.

Yeah, good job at pulling my name into yet another thread I had nothing to do with.

Anyway, if you'd like to read some of the older posts in the General Discussions folder, I believe Trevor made a good explanation of essence. By the way, another A+ on being pretty disrespectful toward him. He shouldn't be expected to come in and explain everything everytime someone doesn't feel like going back through old posts and finding old information. There's a search function, as several people have displayed countless times now.

Granted, he is right that an essence discussion hasn't come up recently so maybe you had no clue that it might effect things. But it makes sense -- from both the realism and gameplay perspectives -- that technology would dimenish the awesomeness of supernatural abilities. Realism: you're disconnecting yourself from.. yourself.. with every piece of humanity you replace with technology. Gameplay: it's really unbalancing to have massive stat and skill boosts coming from cybergear and then compound that with magic/psi/spellsong effects (well, getting those effects by yourself.. having them applied to you by another person isn't as bad).

Heh, to be honest I wasn't even aware that the less essence = less power mechanic had yet to be implemented. I always assumed that it was there. I guess this came from not being too active with magic... to say nothing of being a Guardian and never getting cybergear out of fear of killing my meditations.

I guess you're just going to ignore this, though, so this is nothing but wasted electrons I suppose.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
Kit

Post Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:37 am    Post subject:

Brokyn wrote:
Anyway, if you'd like to read some of the older posts in the General Discussions folder, I believe Trevor made a good explanation of essence. By the way, another A+ on being pretty disrespectful toward him. He shouldn't be expected to come in and explain everything everytime someone doesn't feel like going back through old posts and finding old information. There's a search function, as several people have displayed countless times now.

I don't recall asking Trevor to do that. I was asking the general player base. Stop assuming and trying to get me in trouble with the bossman. I don't see a problem asking questions. Don't ever be a teacher, your students will hate you.

Quote:
Granted, he is right that an essence discussion hasn't come up recently so maybe you had no clue that it might effect things.

I just said that.

Quote:
But it makes sense -- from both the realism and gameplay perspectives -- that technology would dimenish the awesomeness of supernatural abilities. Realism: you're disconnecting yourself from.. yourself.. with every piece of humanity you replace with technology.

Unless you're not human. But that was just a cut at your wording.

Quote:
Gameplay: it's really unbalancing to have massive stat and skill boosts coming from cybergear and then compound that with magic/psi/spellsong effects (well, getting those effects by yourself.. having them applied to you by another person isn't as bad).

Morgana already said she's cutting that down. With cubergear, you already can't use a great deal of the boosting potions very many people here can create that are better then full cybergear. There's a plus and minus to it.

Quote:
I guess you're just going to ignore this, though, so this is nothing but wasted electrons I suppose.

The problem is, William, you give just as many smart ass answers as you do helpful advice. You also tend to be really rude and really condensending. It's impossible to take any of what you say seriously because of that. And I really really wish you'd stop assuming things.

Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject:

Kit, I really don't know what to make of your last reply to me. I was attempting to provide you with some explanatory background. Your response was confusing to me, as to what its purpose was, but I seemed confrontational in feel.

Quote:
Does one's focus run on essense (probably)?

I don't fully understand this question, but if you are asking what factors determine the size of your focus pool, it's a mixture of charisma, intellect and mentality. Essence plays no direct role in it at this point in time.

As for live, we're probably going to examine the application of essence to magic in the full context of the game when we recode and redesign things in that regard, to make the choice that best fills our gameplay and game lore needs.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
Kit

Post Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:19 pm    Post subject:

It wasn't confrontational anymore then I thought yours was. I was trying to give you my reasoning and to answer you because the way you worded your own post, Trevor, seemed a little hostile insomuchas the wording. I DO appreciate the answers a great deal, esspecially since you understand the systems best of all. Also, I can't make an arguement about things I don't know about, so asking you and other people for answers is a good way to come to a better understanding of how things are.

I don't mean to be confrontational, and I'm trying VERY hard to be since I apologized about my hostilities with Yaru. Some of what you think are angry words directed at you are probably from past experience with how I react to Yaru and William...but I've never directed any at you. Of course, it is my fault that you see all of my questions as confrontations, but what can you do about it now?

Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:44 pm    Post subject:

Kit wrote:
I thought charisma = essense. That's what it is for cyberparts. It feeds off of your charisma.

you're right, too.

think of charisma as magical spirituality, and spirituality being what makes up your essence.

if you have very low charisma, and don't use cyberparts, then you don't need to worry about diminished spirituality because you'll be at 100%, even with low charisma.

yet, if you want to be a mix of both cyberparts and essence, then you need to up your charisma to make yourself more spiritual in order to not only dedicate your spirituality to cyberparts, but also to create a larger pool of spirituality that fuels your magic.

think of it as just that. charisma = spirituality = magical essence = fuel for cyberparts and/or magical abilities.

in this game i played a long time ago, Arcanum (steampunk rpg), you had the choice to take a technological path or a magical path with your character, or take a middle of the road path.

if you took the magical path, you were very apt at magic, but technology didn't agree with you due to it disturbing the powers of nature. if you took the technological path, you weren't very apt at magic because it did not follow the concepts of technology. finally, you can take a middle of the road path, allowing you to manage both sides of the spectrum, but at no time will you be perfect at it.

haelrahv will eventually do the same thing, yet offer you the ability to handle both paths at once better by allowing you to up your charisma. so, if it takes you 60 points in charisma to fully deck yourself out in cyberparts, you're still able to save your ability to use magic by pumping up your charisma past that. the pool is allowed to expand.

i hope that makes more sense.
Sorkaa

Post Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:33 pm    Post subject:

Not that this is really relevant anymore, but as far as your (Kit's) view of HR as a merging of both technology and magic goes, I think Troopers were designed to be that. Not invincible to the negative effects of either, just better able to handle a merge; willing to take advantage of both.
 Back to top »
Kit

Post Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:55 pm    Post subject:

soundless wrote:
Lots of stuff

Thanks Yaru, that makes more sense.

Back to top »
Enverdi
Strange and Exciting

Post Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:23 am    Post subject:

A Portable Imaging Device.

One use. Rare components only. Quick memory loss on the manual. I think it'd be neat.
HR-Faith
OCD Grammar Perfectionist

Post Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:31 am    Post subject:

Enverdi wrote:

One use. Rare components only. Quick memory loss on the manual. I think it'd be neat.

Portable imaging - if created, would be a Medic only item.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." -- Bilbo Baggins --
 Back to top »
Kit

Post Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:05 am    Post subject:

HR-Faith wrote:
Enverdi wrote:

So long as we can build it. ^.^ It'd be fun to build better regenerators and med equiptment too.

Back to top »
Enverdi
Strange and Exciting

Post Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:41 am    Post subject:

HR-Faith wrote:

That's fine, but it should definitely be a tech-made gadget, and one of some worth.
Kit

Post Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject:

Enverdi wrote:
HR-Faith wrote:

That's fine, but it should definitely be a tech-made gadget, and one of some worth.

Yay for gadgets! It'd be awesome if we could be everything electronic currently available. Sure, you can buy a comm, but tech made is better. Sure, you can pick up a bioscanner, but the tech made version runs smoother. And comms? Ooh yeah, tech made comms are just awesome.

XD Sorry, this repair/gadget thing still has me on a high. Much less boredom!

Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Technicians » More gadget ideas
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: