FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Basic Gadget Ideas
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Technicians » Basic Gadget Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gabriel

Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:51 am    Post subject:

Kit wrote:
HR-Beau wrote:
I've read that article before, and I have to agree with Drake... The military isn't past looking at _anything_ as a potential weapon, I'm sure we'd all be scared if say...they developed the power to destroy an atam and unleash the power that lay within... but that doesn't mean it'd ever be used. Nah.

Think that's scary? They've been able to make antimatter. Now THAT'S scary.

I bring you learning on antimatter. One of the least scary things ever.

http://public.web.cern.ch/Public/Content/Chapters/Spotlight/SpotlightAandD-en.html
 Back to top »
Tylen
Alpha Antifemale

Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:33 am    Post subject:

Gabriel wrote:
http://public.web.cern.ch/Public/Content/Chapters/Spotlight/SpotlightAandD-en.html

Deep pits? Scary!
** The phrase "break a leg" just wasn't ambitious enough for Mellie Knight. [8:31 pm]
** Mellie Knight was soundly defeated by Aesal Anari-Idia in the Zgedhi Gkenrzeg Rav! [8:31 pm]
 Back to top »
Kit
Cybertech Extraordinaire~

Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject:

Antimatter and matter, when they collide, explode into pure energy. Half a gram of antimatter (about enough to power Manhattan) will destroy a square mile of matter. Sure, it has the potential of creating a huge amount of energy cheaply...but we're not talking about what could happen if a nuclear power plant has a melt down. We're talking instant evaporation of all matter it comes in contact with. So yeah. Scary.

Scarier, though, is that you post a page about Dan Brown's book! Mwahaha. "Angels and Demons" is "The da Vinci Code" only with antimatter instead of the Holy Grail. Same storyline too. I was unimpressed.

Edit: Okay, that's not fair. I never read to the end of it. With the 6th HP book coming out, I've have to reread the five previous to make sure I'm allllll up-to-date.

Hm. To put things back on topic...that would be kinda fun to work with. I mean, the Beast runs on nuclear fission...so why not have techs be more like physists and be able to make stuff like that? Antimatter pulse guns.. oooh...

AIM: KitMurphyHR
Email: yojibalinese@hotmail.com
Technician Database: http://tech.haelrahv.net/

Last edited by Kit on Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Gabriel

Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject:

Kit wrote:
Antimatter and matter, when they collide, explode into pure energy. Half a gram of antimatter (about enough to power Manhattan) will destroy a square mile of matter. Sure, it has the potential of creating a huge amount of energy cheaply...but we're not talking about what could happen if a nuclear power plant has a melt down. We're talking instant evaporation of all matter it comes in contact with. So yeah. Scary.

Scarier, though, is that you post a page about Dan Brown's book! Mwahaha. "Angels and Demons" is the da Vinci code only with antimatter instead of the Holy Grail. Same storyline too. I was unimpressed.

What's important is what facts they lay down. This is CERN's website, where they stole the antimatter from in the book. CERN is a real place that studies antimatter. They dispel a few myths that the book creates.

Watch out Manhattan, your time is coming! In a really, really, really long time. To make that much antimatter...

Code:
At CERN we make quantities of the order of 107 anti-protons per second and there are 6x1023 of them in a single gram of anti-hydrogen. You can easily calculate how long we would have to work to get one gram if we could make the 107 antiparticles every second:  we would need 6x10(23-7)=6x1016 seconds.  There are only 365x24x60x60 = 3x107 seconds in a year, so it would roughly take 6x1016/3x107 = 2x109 or about two billion years!  Of course, it would be utterly impossible to contain this amount of pure negative electric charge.

And no it doesn't have the potential to make energy cheaply.

Code:
If we could assemble all the antimatter we've ever made at CERN and annihilate it with matter, we would have enough energy to light a single electric light bulb for a few minutes.

Code:
In fact we have to use hundreds of times more energy to create the matter/antimatter pairs than the theoretical minimum of mc2, but we won't ever get back more than mc2.
 Back to top »
HR-Beau
The Good Fairy

Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject:

What makes Dan Brown so much fun to read is that its sometimes hard to tell where the line between fact and fiction is.
If there is one thing in the world that I know, love conquers all, it trancends time and space, defies all odds, and can bring you back from the darkness, it is the guiding light that helps bring you in from the rough stormy seas of life, and it remains even after you have gone.
~ Adam ~

www.angeluserratus.net
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kit
Cybertech Extraordinaire~

Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:58 pm    Post subject:

HR-Beau wrote:
What makes Dan Brown so much fun to read is that its sometimes hard to tell where the line between fact and fiction is.

I thought Dan Brown was a fun guy until I saw interviews with him. He actually believes everything he embellishes in his books to be REAL. "Da Vinci Code" was a cool read, but he's got the same plot structure in both of his novels. Guy dies. Hot, young, female family member of the dead guy gets to hang out with the Harrison Ford middle aged teacher. There's a mysterious cult-like group out to get them as they run around the world solving clues. Though, I guess even HP has the same story line... Harry comes to school, finds out stuff about his parents, gets new powers, Voldemort tries to kill him, end of the book. Maybe I'm just grumpy today over literature for no real reason.

AIM: KitMurphyHR
Email: yojibalinese@hotmail.com
Technician Database: http://tech.haelrahv.net/
 Back to top »
HR-Marduk

Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Sorry, for some reason I was under the impression than an EMP was an actual pulse wave of energy. But google doesn't agree. Even though I don't understand how it can overload circuitry and pretty much anything else that carries electrical current... and not someone's nervous system (and more importantly, the heart's own electrical activity).

EMP isn't electricity, it's a large pulse of electromagnetic energy which induces a current in electronic components. Since you're not made of wire, you should be ok.

Quote:

A> I don't know what you mean by 'destroy a square mile of matter'. Half a gram of antimatter will annihilate exactly half a gram of matter. Certainly the explosion would be large, but nothing near what we can currently accomplish with other weapons.

B> It has pretty much no potential as an energy source. It takes enormous amounts of energy to produce even tiny amounts of anti-matter, and the magnetic fields required to store a decent amount in any significant concentration would pretty much make the entire idea useless. Nevermind the laws of thermodynamics which state that any such project would be guaranteed to lose energy.

Quote:
i noticed that the swoosh symbol was nothing but a whip in mid swing

-- Sage Francis
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Technicians » Basic Gadget Ideas
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: