FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
The Future of Magic and Psionics
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Magic and Psionics » The Future of Magic and Psionics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:39 pm    Post subject: The Future of Magic and Psionics

The release today of the bookbinding system coincides with the release of the first spells using the new approach for learning and using spells. Here's how it works.

No spell slots. You may learn as many spells as you wish (but some have Mage-only restrictions). However, you have to do several things to manage this:

1. Create a spellbook. You must have your own personal spellbook. This is something pretty much anyone can do. There are skill checks but they are are very low and very few. If you're simply unable to build your own book due to low skill, you can have someone else do it and finish the final step yourself. The final step of creation determines the creator of the book.

2. Acquire spell pages. Right now these are rare drops in the treasure system. Other methods of acquiring them will be added. Insert the pages into your spellbook. Please note books can not be sold to a pawn shop after you insert a spell page.

3. Study the page (FLIP BOOK TO ##, STUDY BOOK). This will take several studies to memorize the spells. The higher your spell research, the quicker this process is. When you have studied enough you will have memorized the spell and can use it. You will eventually forget the spell and need to restudy it. The length of time before you forget the spell is based on your spell research skill.

For psionics, all the above applies, except that the relevant skill for study is Occult Lore.

Each spell/power has a difficulty level associated with it. If you attempt to use a spell or power too far above your spell casting/psionic ability skill, respectively, the chance of failure is high. A failure will mean a loss of the focus used on the spell/power and a roundtime. In addition, a critical failure can occur which can cause a surge of power which will injure and can kill your character. The fatality rate for this level of failure is pretty high, but it's not a guaranteed death.

-----------

Q: Does my skill affect the chance I'll fail to cast the spell?
A: Yes. In fact, it also affects the chance you'll have a critical failure too. Spells way over your head have good chance of critical failure, while those barely above you have little chance. As your skill becomes on par or better than that needed for a spell you will no longer critically fail to cast the spell.

Q: If my skill is way above that needed to use a spell can I still fail to cast it?
A: Yes, but the chance is very low. You cannot critically fail in your cast at this point of skill, but you can have the less harmful minor fail occasionally.

Q: If I lose my spellbook do I lose my spells?
A: You can continue to cast them until you forget them over time. At that point you'll need to find your spellbook or make a new one (and find replacement spell pages for it) to re-study the book.

Q: Do bonuses from my profession, items, location, etc help studying?
A: Yes. In fact, it's a good idea to do all your studies in a location that provides a spell research or occult lore bonus, such as some areas in the Sanctuary.

Q: Can other people use my spell book? Can I transfer a spell book I made to someone else?
A: No, your spellbook will be attuned to you only.

Q: Can I reorganize my pages in my spellbook?
A: Yes. You can use dedlas oil to remove pages from your book, then glue them back in in the desired order.

Q: Can I remove pages and let someone else use them, then put the pages back in my book?
A: Yes, as of the writing of this Q&A, but this will be changed in an update in the near future so that pages become attuned to one person when inserted in a book.

Q: Do my book/pages have a limited number of uses before I need a new book or page?
A: Not at this time.

Q: Will memorized spells appear in SPELLS?
A: Yes, they will.

Q: Can I see how long before my memorized spell becomes forgotten?
A: No, but this will be added in a future update.

Q: Which spells or powers have been added to the system?
A: You'll have to wait and see!

Q: How can I tell how hard a spell is to cast?
A: Your spell pages will tell you this when you read them.

Q: How does this affect my current spells that are in slots?
A: Right now there is no effect. In the future as spells are converted to this new system, pages will be released from them and they will be removed from the old system. Some of the pages for basic spells may be readily purchased at this point, while other remain available only by discovery.

Q: Aside from hunting, how else will I be able to find pages?
A: We're keeping a tight wrap on this for now! Look for new ways to locate pages in the near future.

Q: Do I "forget" spells while offline too?
A: No, your memorized spells only decay while you are in game.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy

Last edited by HR-Trevor on Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:49 pm    Post subject:

Really sweet deal, Trevor.

My only concern would be forgetting a combat ability/spell in the middle of combat, but you stated that there would be means in the future to gauge how close you were to forgetting. So this is rather moot.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
tygerwulf
Teh Pink Assassin.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:52 pm    Post subject:

About how long will it take to memorize spells? I'm not gonna have to spend hours memorizing my spells every day am I?
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:58 pm    Post subject:

The absolute slowest rate of study (if you have zero skill) is 5 minutes to completely memorize one spell. The fastest possible rate is 2 minutes.

Your memorized spell will last a minimum of 48 hours at 0 skill, and at maximum 60 hours. That's in game time, your time out of game does not affect your memorized spells.

Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:02 pm    Post subject:

is it possible to relearn spells before we forget them? i'd really appreciate if we could, since i'd rather just start each day with yaru studying away as opposed to waiting until whenever he'll forget.
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:03 pm    Post subject:

Yes it is.

Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:10 pm    Post subject:

HR-Trevor wrote:
Yes it is.

thanks Smile
tygerwulf
Teh Pink Assassin.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:39 pm    Post subject:

Will telepathy have to be relearned and stuff to hear and use it?
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:40 pm    Post subject:

Yep, except for Alteri.

Back to top »
the blue fairy
Grandmistress

Post Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:45 pm    Post subject:

Ok this all sounds great but are the spells and psionics still being changed as far as proffesion only?

A set of breast implants fall from the sky with a soft plop.

Caretaker Jornnoj Vunn looks up at the sky.

A passing guard suddenly shits himself.
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:14 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Some of the pages for basic spells may be readily purchased at this point, while other remain available only by discovery.

where are they sold?
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:20 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Ok this all sounds great but are the spells and psionics still being changed as far as proffesion only?

Yep, that plan has not changed.

Quote:
where are they sold?

Nowhere at this point. The spells I'm referring to are primarily existing spells that are slot based but will be converted to this new system.

Back to top »
Kit
Cybertech Extraordinaire~

Post Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:21 am    Post subject:

HR-Trevor wrote:
Quote:

Yep, that plan has not changed.

Quote:
where are they sold?

Nowhere at this point. The spells I'm referring to are primarily existing spells that are slot based but will be converted to this new system.

The only problem is that, so far, anyone with 63 craftmanship and 38 perception can't plane the boards for making books... Mages and Psionics are not able to triple-train (and yes, this IS relevant until we're able to change systems and it'll still be releavant there because it all translates over) craftmanship. That pretty much means that mages and psionics will not be able to make their own books...and that's kind of sad. I think that planing should be lowered a little bit. Yes, bookmaking is in the realm of artisans and trackers (my tracker can't do it, btw any more then Kit can), but Mages and Psionics should have a CHANCE at creating their books too.

AIM: KitMurphyHR
Email: yojibalinese@hotmail.com
Technician Database: http://tech.haelrahv.net/
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:11 am    Post subject:

Quote:
The only problem is that, so far, anyone with 63 craftmanship and 38 perception can't plane the boards for making books... Mages and Psionics are not able to triple-train (and yes, this IS relevant until we're able to change systems and it'll still be releavant there because it all translates over) craftmanship. That pretty much means that mages and psionics will not be able to make their own books...and that's kind of sad. I think that planing should be lowered a little bit. Yes, bookmaking is in the realm of artisans and trackers (my tracker can't do it, btw any more then Kit can), but Mages and Psionics should have a CHANCE at creating their books too.

The issue of skill checks for bookbinding is under constant review since this is a new system rollout. We'll make adjustments as deemed necessary. However, I'd like to reiterate that making your own book is optional - you only need to complete the final step.

But I am assuming you know that and want to make your own book froms scratch anyway.

Back to top »
Kit
Cybertech Extraordinaire~

Post Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:12 am    Post subject:

HR-Trevor wrote:
But I am assuming you know that and want to make your own book froms scratch anyway.

Yes. It's just the planing part...but Inaira made several boards for me so now I can bookbind with pleasure.

AIM: KitMurphyHR
Email: yojibalinese@hotmail.com
Technician Database: http://tech.haelrahv.net/
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Magic and Psionics » The Future of Magic and Psionics
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: