FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Cassini and Huygens, outdoing expectations yet again
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Out of Character Discussions » Cassini and Huygens, outdoing expectations yet again
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kit
Cybertech Extraordinaire~

Post Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:57 pm    Post subject: Cassini and Huygens, outdoing expectations yet again

http://www.esa.int/SPECIALS/Cassini-Huygens/SEMQ1QQ3K3E_0.html

It's been over a year that the Martian rovers have been operational. They've found that there once was water on Mars. They've outlived how long they were expected to perform.

And again NASA, JPL, and ESA have outdone themselves and landed on Titan, a moon of Saturn. Titan is so amazing because of it's atmosphere and it's surface...because scientists think that the conditions on Titan are very much like the conditions Earth had before life emerged.

Cassini flew through Saturn's rings months ago, deployed the Huygens probe on Christmas...and last night, the probe spent 2 and a half hours gently falling to the ground. We've landed on another world, a world further from us then we've ever landed before, two times further from us then Jupiter is.

Huygens was suppose to last -- if it made it to the surface -- for two hours...and it's already lasted seven. More then that, it's batteries are at room temperature, meaning that Titan might be a LOT warmer then we thought it was because of it's atomosphere. Even more astonishing, Australia is picking up the Huygens' signal.

The most interesting thing is that Titan might harbor hydrocarbons or ammino acids....not life...but the building blocks of it.

AIM: KitMurphyHR
Email: yojibalinese@hotmail.com
Technician Database: http://tech.haelrahv.net/
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Huygens was suppose to last -- if it made it to the surface -- for two hours...and it's already lasted seven.

What I've read says they predicted it to last just a few -minutes- once it landed, but it's far exceeded that.

Quote:
More then that, it's batteries are at room temperature, meaning that Titan might be a LOT warmer then we thought it was because of it's atomosphere.

They had stated that Titan has an average temperature of -292 F, and winds as high as 311mph. It will be interesting to see how they alter these numbers after they analyze returning data.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
Kit
Cybertech Extraordinaire~

Post Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject:

HR-Trevor wrote:
It will be interesting to see how they alter these numbers after they analyze returning data.

That's what makes space so fascinating...actually physically seeing things matched against predictions and having them be beyond expectations is enough to make my pulse quicken. It's like when they found the tiny moon Promethius sucking out material from the G ring of Saturn....it's so exciting!

AIM: KitMurphyHR
Email: yojibalinese@hotmail.com
Technician Database: http://tech.haelrahv.net/
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
SoulTorn
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet

Post Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:51 am    Post subject:

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/cassini/main/index.html

Some early images from Huygens.(Some sound, as well)

Something else I managed to pull from the fark thread that's kinda interesting:

http://www.nasa.gov/vision/earth/technologies/spinoffs.html

Technological spin-offs from space exploration.

-Chris
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Out of Character Discussions » Cassini and Huygens, outdoing expectations yet again
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: