FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Combat Feedback
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Combat & Hunting » Combat Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 8:37 pm    Post subject: Combat Feedback

I'd like to gather feedback from everyone who has an opinion on it please. Specifically, recent changes and how they affect you. In addition, I'm trying to assess areas where problems lie, and need specific information from you about your combat experiences.

If you're having trouble in combat is it:

- Getting hit too often?
- Getting hit too hard?
- Balance problems?
- Fatigue problems?
- "Walk in" deaths?

If you would like to post a response, please try to post something more useful than "everything is wrong" or "all of the above". Also please don't just post "I'm not as good at combat now". I need specific problems encountered.

Likewise, I also need positive feedback as well. It's very important that we have a challenging yet fun and balanced system.

Finally, I'd like to mention that I and probably many of us believe the ES (engagement system) implementation is central to fixing some of these problems. However, at this time it's not ready and Marduk's dev time is limited. We do intend to put it in as soon as we can.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy

Last edited by HR-Trevor on Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:03 am; edited 2 times in total
 Back to top »
Deblaeju

Post Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 8:45 pm    Post subject: fatigued

fatigue has been my big problem that i've noticed so far.
not with deblaeju. not sure how he fairs haven't hunted lately with new changes with him.

somewhat low on stamina (tho for his level not bad), but still being only able to kill one critter maybe two than have to sit out for while well gaining back my fatigue. tho could use potions guess. this is with unarmed combat if that makes difference.
 Back to top »
Kit
Cybertech Extraordinaire~

Post Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Combat Feedback

Since the combat changes, I've actually been hunting better I think. I hunt more around my level now, got some really nice armor, some nicer weapons, and have been taking down borkin hunter.

I play a 25th -- 26th tommorrow sometime -- technician if that helps any.

I find that I get knocked down a WHOLE lot. Just about every 2 hits I get knocked down. I also found that having a nearly full set of cybergear helps hunting because I can fix myself...and I don't lose vitality from most hits.

All in all, I like the changes. It took awhile to get use to it, but I figured out the best way for me (Kit) to hunt. My Tracker, though, is still having some problems, but luckily, she just likes to forage.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TheTrackerChick
Babe of Doom

Post Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 8:52 pm    Post subject:

The only thing of all those, would be what you know. And that is engagement. Once that happens, most likely all those you're asking about will have to be revamped anyway. So until engagment does happen, I'm not having a problem with any of combat. Well, except for what wasn't mentioned. Which is ranged. Part of engagement and why I'll wait for it.

Oh, and I haven't hunted in about a week, and have no clue about the walk in kill at this point either. That would be the only thing that I was having a hard time with previously. I feel with what I've trained in, combat is pretty fair towards my main character.
SolitaryTurnip

Post Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:04 pm    Post subject:

One of the things that I don't like (and it could just be bad luck) is that when I get hit, which isn't too common, I get hit really, really hard. It's almost always either a parry or some stun/bleeding/painful hit that makes me run away as soon as I become unstunned. Is it supposed to be this way... I mean... if you have high defenses (compared to what you're fighting), is almost every hit that gets through going to be really painful, or is it just bad luck?

Another thing that I'd like - not saying things are bad now, but I'd like it this way - is to make full-blown can't-move stuns very rare, but very bad. I don't like how something can be on the ground and stunned and I can still punch him in the leg when I go for the face. It'd be cool if there were two "stuns"... one is the real stun where you're totally out, and that would be as good as dead, basically, unless you woke up before the guy swung again. The other would be more like a "dazed" sort of thing, like you see spots and you have a headache and it'd be hard to hit things, but you could at least try to retreat or run to another room or something.

I guess this is because of the recent changes, because now I actually do get hit *grins*. My second point hasn't been affected too much by the recent stuff. Well, besides stuns being toned down. My point was the half-stunned "dazed" thing. I like that stuns are less common, though. Okay, I'm done editing.

Last edited by SolitaryTurnip on Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:04 pm    Post subject:

Thanks guys. Here's my viewpoint currently on a couple of things mentioned, just to give you an idea of how it looks from my side of things:

Fatigue: I think overall we're "okay", i.e. acceptable, on this issue right now and I'd probably do more harm than good if I touched it. However, long term -- and long term probably being live -- I think the ideal solution is a graduated series of attacks one has access to which require more and more fatigue expenditure to use. This is because low level players will almost always have far less stamina than higher level ones so if you apply a single rate of fatigue expenditure to them both, either you have newbies tired all the time, or higher ups who have way more stamina than they are capable of using.

Knockdowns: I think I'll wait to see what the feedback is on the stun changes before I touch knockdowns. If it's favorable, I'll tone down knockdowns too.

Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:14 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
One of the things that I don't like (and it could just be bad luck) is that when I get hit, which isn't too common, I get hit really, really hard. It's almost always either a parry or some stun/bleeding/painful hit that makes me run away as soon as I become unstunned. Is it supposed to be this way... I mean... if you have high defenses (compared to what you're fighting), is almost every hit that gets through going to be really painful, or is it just bad luck?

One problem here is simply how the combat system is constructed. Let me pitch two theoretical situations at you:
1. Super Merc and Mega Trooper are virtually equally skilled and have awesome gear, prowess, etc. It's hard for either to hit the other, but because of their hardware and abilities, any hit is going to hurt.

2. Super Merc and Mega Trooper are virtually equally skilled, and because of this, either can only get marginally successful attacks on each other. As a result, damage is expected to be minimal unless the balance tips so that one is badly wounded due to luck of the draw.

Combat currently works in mode 1. Some people would say this is how it should be. Some others would say situation two either makes more sense, or should be how it is for gameplay reasons. But the fact is with the current setup, the higher level something is, the more damage output has in almost every case. So when you get hit, you get hit hard. This of course applies to you too. Assuming you're getting better gear and improving damage-related stats, you will deal more and more damage on any successful hit against any opponent.

Now that I've explained how it works, your opinions on that arrangement are welcome. Smile

Quote:
Another thing that I'd like - not saying things are bad now, but I'd like it this way - is to make full-blown can't-move stuns very rare, but very bad. I don't like how something can be on the ground and stunned and I can still punch him in the leg when I go for the face. It'd be cool if there were two "stuns"... one is the real stun where you're totally out, and that would be as good as dead, basically, unless you woke up before the guy swung again. The other would be more like a "dazed" sort of thing, like you see spots and you have a headache and it'd be hard to hit things, but you could at least try to retreat or run to another room or something.

In a way this already exists, where stuns = the very bad stun, and balance = the dazed effect. Balance reduces your ability on a scale relative to your and your opponent's balance. Stuns flat out kill your defensive ability. We *could* add yet another effect in there, but I'm not totally sure it would do much more than make the system more complex.

Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:38 pm    Post subject:

i do rather decently in combat (considering Yaru's hardly built for it).

i think i'll be complaining a lot once i can't use blood siphon anymore, though. that's turning mage only, right?
SolitaryTurnip

Post Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:48 pm    Post subject:

HR-Trevor wrote:
Combat currently works in mode 1. Some people would say this is how it should be. Some others would say situation two either makes more sense, or should be how it is for gameplay reasons. But the fact is with the current setup, the higher level something is, the more damage output has in almost every case. So when you get hit, you get hit hard. This of course applies to you too. Assuming you're getting better gear and improving damage-related stats, you will deal more and more damage on any successful hit against any opponent.

Hmmm... yeah, good point. I mean, it's fine either way... I just don't like how the balance can shift drastically either way with one hit. But I guess that would eventually happen in situation 2, it would just take some intermediate hits to get to that point. Neither one is clearly wrong, but I think that I lean a little towards situation 2 just because if you see that you're starting to lose, you can try to get out of there, rather than it being parry-parry-parry-parry-etc. until someone gets hit.

HR-Trevor wrote:
In a way this already exists, where stuns = the very bad stun, and balance = the dazed effect. Balance reduces your ability on a scale relative to your and your opponent's balance. Stuns flat out kill your defensive ability. We *could* add yet another effect in there, but I'm not totally sure it would do much more than make the system more complex.

Yeah, true. I guess I didn't think too much about balance... good point. I still don't like how you can miss your intented target when they're out cold, though.
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:50 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
that's turning mage only, right?

Indeed.

Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:00 pm    Post subject:

rats. i need to invest in some vit points or start getting more cyber limbs.
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:10 pm    Post subject:

this is more pvp related but...

hiding melee is beyond silly. heck, i don't see how someone can hide at pole range.
Tugor
Orgasm Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:26 pm    Post subject:

Combat seems to work great to me.
Dzynna
Shadow Master

Post Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:25 am    Post subject:

I've only had one walk-in death since the changes you made previously...and the creature didn't kill Dzynna with the first hit (I believe you coded around that). It just got a really lucky critical/stun in and then proceeded to hit her two more times before she came out of the stun, killing her.

This particular issue I don't consider to be too much of an issue, since an engagement system would alleviate it (at least for her), and it has only happened once for me playing either of my characters.

Dzynna doesn't get hit often, and the majority of the time (note every time except the example above) it is at most a bruise.

Fatigue isn't an issue for her, and balance doesn't seem to be either.

The two things I really would like to see finished/looked at is

1. Engagement system.
2. Archery: Exp from archery/Damage from archery/randomness of ammunition breaking.

I'll go into a little more detail with 2. And since I'm currently the top nskill person for archery I believe I've had the most practice with it. :Wink:

1. Experience: She can hunt at-level or even above-level and either way she doesn't learn much at all. Unless she goes into the hunting ground with a 'full mind', she'll never hit red. I've taken her in with a completely empty mind and she's never gotten above the first level of brown (and that is from skinning). This is with a 2 RT for load, 2 RT for aim and 1 RT for fire.

2. Archery damage: I've tried this with her starbow and with her V-bow, and the V-bow seems even worse. Damage seems off. I've tested even on something as low as chith, and it took 9 shots to kill it. That's a total of 45 bolts. Hunting at level/above level is even worse, I've had creatures get hit with over 100 bolts and still be standing. Cannot aim at a specific body part either. Even with chiths it seems to just randomly hit wherever.

Code:
>aim chith chest
You begin to aim a shot at a chith.
Roundtime: 2 sec.
You feel your shot is ready.
Ferociously as a cornered eteoch, a chith snaps a quick kick toward you.  Somehow, you dodge the attack barely avoiding disaster.
[You are balanced, healthy, and well rested.]
>fire
Taking advantage of an opening, you fire a shadow black Ishaian starbow with a leather-wrapped grip at a chith.  With finesse, you land a superficial hit to her left leg as a chith fails to dodge the attack.
... another shot hits a chith in the right arm!
... another shot hits a chith in the abdomen!
... another shot hits a chith in the right foot!
... another shot hits a chith in the right eye!
[You are balanced, healthy, and well rested.]
Roundtime: 1 sec.

3. Randomness of ammunition breaking: This should be tweaked down a tad, and should probably decrease with skill. With as many shots as it usually takes to kill something, she's having to purchase another bundle (130+) of bolts for every 7-8 creatures dead.

Other than the issues above, I don't have any problems with combat. I actually am pleased that combat now has some 'thrill' to it, I just wish I could learn (and earn) from it.

Dzynna Zol
-------------------------------------
The Retreat
--------------------------------------
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:21 am    Post subject:

Code:
[12.07.04] The following updates have been made to the combat system:
- Archery weapons will grant more experience and skill gain.
- Marksmanship weapons will grant slightly more experience gain.
- Archery weapons are now easier to aim at specific body areas.
- The differences in level between an attacker and defender now affect the chance to hit a specific body area. Attackers who well outmatch an opponent level-wise will find it easier to hit specific body areas.
- Prone defenders are now easier prey for location specific attacks. Stunned defenders are even easier.
- Minimum damage rates have been greatly improved for archery weapons.
- Minimum damage rates have been moderately improved for marksmanship weapons.
- Minimum damage rates have been slightly improved for all other weapons and unarmed attacks.

Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Combat & Hunting » Combat Feedback
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: