FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Nskills: Trainers or Not?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Player-Created Polls » Nskills: Trainers or Not?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should we learn skills by doing faster and get rid of the skill trainers, a la Modus Operandi/DragonRealms?
Yes; I liked Modus Operandi's and Dragonrealms' skill systems and want to see something very similar in Haelrahv.
13%
 13%  [ 3 ]
No; Just because Trevor was from Simu doesn't mean his games have to be like theirs and/or I like what Trevor has planned.
86%
 86%  [ 20 ]
Total Votes : 23

Renian
Darkness Incarnate

Post Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 8:23 pm    Post subject: Nskills: Trainers or Not?

As far as I know, the current plan for Nskills is that when it is released you can learn by using the skill or via a trainer. However, the learning by doing method is rather slow. So, would you like to scrap skill trainers in favor of faster learning rates, sort of like Modus Operandi and Dragonrealms?
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 8:28 pm    Post subject:

I don't think it takes that long to gain a rank, especially considering you can only gain 5 points in a skill per level, and each level takes 50 hours to complete.

edit: And I also remember taking 150 hours+ to gain a rank in a skill while playing DR. So I think this is actually a FAST skill gain.
Kit
Cybertech Extraordinaire~

Post Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 8:33 pm    Post subject:

I really like this set up. More AD&D...with a soon-to-be implemented way to gain skill by doing the skill.

Now, if we didn't have these horrid penalties...
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Renian
Darkness Incarnate

Post Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 8:45 pm    Post subject:

soundless wrote:
I don't think it takes that long to gain a rank, especially considering you can only gain 5 points in a skill per level, and each level takes 50 hours to complete.

50 hours?

60 minutes x 20 XP per minute = 1200xp/hour
30000xp per level / 1200xp/hour = 25 hours.
 Back to top »
TheTrackerChick
Babe of Doom

Post Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

10 XP per minute after you get a few levels under your belt. I don't recall what it is when you're first starting out.

Also, on that note, could we get the breakdown of what the XP is when you start and then get older please? It used to be in the NEWS I thought, but it's not there anymore.

Thanks

Last edited by TheTrackerChick on Sat Nov 13, 2004 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
Kit

Post Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 9:11 pm    Post subject:

TheTrackerChick wrote:
Quote:

I thought it was 10 XP per minute after you get a few levels under your belt.

Also, on that note, could we get the breakdown of what the XP is when you start and then get older please? It used to be in the NEWS I thought, but it's not there anymore.

Thanks

After 11th or so level, it's 10 per minute.

Right now I have a -5 penalty. I'm getting 5 EXP every minute. It bites.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TheTrackerChick
Babe of Doom

Post Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 9:13 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Right now I have a -5 penalty. I'm getting 5 EXP every minute. It bites

I'm at 4 EXP per now and that's why I was asking for the breakdown. To see what I have to look forward to. 1 per minute? And I'm not being sarcastic, I just want to prepare for it. Smile
Renian
Darkness Incarnate

Post Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 9:17 pm    Post subject:

Oh. Ick.
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 9:43 pm    Post subject:

Renian wrote:
soundless wrote:

50 hours?

30000xp per level / 1200xp/hour = 25 hours.

You've been on this message board for two years and you never read that exp changes as you gain more levels?
Kit

Post Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 10:01 pm    Post subject:

soundless wrote:

Isn't it that you can only gain 3 points per skill per level? 3 if it's triple trained, 2 if not?
 Back to top »
TheTrackerChick
Babe of Doom

Post Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 10:19 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Isn't it that you can only gain 3 points per skill per level? 3 if it's triple trained, 2 if not?

I think he's meaning NEWS 60 and when it switches over to the new training way.

Quoting that: "Secondly, the skill cap per level will be raised from two/three points to five
points per level."

and also....."Because "triple trainable" skills will no longer exist........
Kit

Post Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 11:08 pm    Post subject:

TheTrackerChick wrote:
Quote:

I think he's meaning NEWS 60 and when it switches over to the new training way.

Quoting that: "Secondly, the skill cap per level will be raised from two/three points to five
points per level."

and also....."Because "triple trainable" skills will no longer exist........

I need to seriously read through ALL the news that was posted before I started to play. I got bored of it marked em all as read.
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 11:12 pm    Post subject:

There is a train-with-points part of the new skill/exp stuff, so you get to do some of both.

I think that overall people are going to find training skills by use to be "hard work" but not unwieldy. Certainly we'll keep an eye on rates and any changes needed if it's clear there's a problem either way.

It's also a better possibly to start slow and raise the bar, than to do the reverse and have skills super high then decide to slow them down.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
Dante
Boi Toi

Post Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 11:15 pm    Post subject:

This whole hybrid system was thought up because the current training limits sort of makes "cookie cutter" characters, and limits the amount of flexibilty you have. For instance, most everyone maxes all of their profession skills every level, which means if you know the person's level, you know the person's general skill. I think I could probably say that 90% of the characters do that and be fairly accurate with that guess. Being able to actually learn some skill for the things that you do the most often, in addition to higher per level and overall caps, will let you spend a skill points elsewhere and experience more of the game.

The actual system in live is going to be different from the current and this new system that will be rolled out soon (I hope), but I think the final system is more ideally what I would prefer since it offers even more flexibilty when training.
Renian
Darkness Incarnate

Post Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 11:43 pm    Post subject:

soundless wrote:

You've been on this message board for two years and you never read that exp changes as you gain more levels?

Just because I registered two years ago, does not mean I've been actively reading the boards for that long.
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Player-Created Polls » Nskills: Trainers or Not?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: