FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Totally stolen from Morrigan
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Technicians » Totally stolen from Morrigan
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kit
Cybertech Extraordinaire~

Post Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:53 pm    Post subject: Totally stolen from Morrigan

....sorta.

I have a few propositions to make.

1. A Technician Union. This can just be an IG thing really. It would allow certain techs to be on duty when they want to be. People wanting things repaired could easily go to a special room in the cyber clinic and find on duty technicians to repair their items.

2. A build off of that. Techs that want to be on duty go to the clinic, sign in, and get beepers. When someone needs a repair, they go to the cyber clinic and fill out a questionaire on the sort of work they want done -- mainly, this would be like a menu. You can choose more then one option. The next tech in line to get a job who can concievabley -- the system knows the person's level, so it can know what the person can fix -- gets paged to come and service the cyber clinic's customers. If that tech doesn't answer in say, 2 minutes (a message comes up that you have to respond to with yes, you'll take the job, or no, you won't), it goes to the next tech in line. If there are no techs on duty at the time that can help you, or none come to answer the call of the page in say, 10 minutes, the person can opt to have the in-house technician do the repairs for them....for a large fee.

There can even be a fee -- much smaller -- attached to each repair -- or hey, we're triple trained in security, so lockpicking too. The Union would keep a portion of the fee and the tech that answered the call would get the rest. For people under 5th level, there can be a customer gathering special...free for them.

And of course, techs can always free lance.

So why would we want to join the Union? Namely, wages. Also, if there was a mechanism that allowed techs on duty to take turns with repairs, that would be excellent too. I'm kinda tired of having someone call for a tech, and then when I get there, have my job taken. This would be a good way to give every tech a chance at repairing....and give us some pocket change for our professions.

When gadgets come out, the Union can regulate the sales of these things too....sorta like commodities. We can make them and sell them to the Union on a scale of 'demand' and other people can go and buy those gadgets directly from the cyber shop.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 5:52 pm    Post subject:

[Disclaimer: do not take anything stated in this post personally.]

It's a good idea. The main problem I can see with it is that you stated a Technician will be able to freelance if they wanted. Then you suggest that the main boon for joining The Union would be for wages. It's unlikely, then, that people will want to freelance at all. If they want to, then they'll probably be "coerced" (see: violence) into joining.

Anybody remember the slayings when people didn't BROKER their commodities when that system was released? I see that happening with this, though on a somewhat smaller scale. If someone's signed up in the clinic to do some work... they're probably counting on getting some work sent their way, right? I would think so, especially if The Union is going to be paying them a commission for their services.

So, you have Freelancer Technicians come through and take up the local business. Can we see how this would upset Union members? You would either get the aformentioned violence and/or nobody signing up as On-Duty at all in the clinic.

My suggestion is to end it with the beepers and stuff. Let every Technician get one if they want at, say, level 5 or 10 (or whenever you guys can effectively repair most electronics). They'll be able to turn it on or off depending on whatever circumstances they see fit. Someone can go to the clinic and press the big red "I NEED SOME PIECE OF TECHNOLOGY REPAIRED" button. All of the beepers go off. If they want to, they can go to the clinic and see to the repair.

In the beginning you'd probably get mad rushes to the clinic. After a few times a system will begin to develop; Technicians will probably message on the profession comm channel (or openly on telepathy) that they're on their way. No fees would be taken by the Clinic/Union... just the same old tip-as-you-please routine.

It's still not a perfect idea, especially since it's obvious that people will still flat out ask on comms/telepathy for a Tech. But I think it would be better than pulling in a service-based wage setup.

Hm, I wonder if a modification of NPC Healing could be done. NPC Cybergear Repairs? That'd be swell.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
Kit

Post Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 10:54 am    Post subject:

Brokyn wrote:

Hm, I wonder if a modification of NPC Healing could be done. NPC Cybergear Repairs? That'd be swell.

--William

There already is in the cyber shop.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:13 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, I worded that wrong.

I meant to suggest a knock-off of the NPC Patient-Healing system that Faith managed to promise awhile back. But, instead of healing, you'd repair an NPC's damaged cybergear. So, NPC Patient-Cybergear-Repair. Or whatever.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
Kit

Post Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 4:55 pm    Post subject:

Brokyn wrote:

I meant to suggest a knock-off of the NPC Patient-Healing system that Faith managed to promise awhile back. But, instead of healing, you'd repair an NPC's damaged cybergear. So, NPC Patient-Cybergear-Repair. Or whatever.

--William

I didn't know that it was tossed around that medics could heal NPCs. It's a cool idea.
 Back to top »
HR-Faith
OCD Grammar Perfectionist

Post Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 11:00 pm    Post subject:

Kit wrote:
Brokyn wrote:

--William

I didn't know that it was tossed around that medics could heal NPCs. It's a cool idea.

It's in the works. As I said back when I promised it, it would be coming out with the new exp system. So, sometime between now and when the system is final.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." -- Bilbo Baggins --
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Technicians » Totally stolen from Morrigan
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: